TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

another french interview

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
su-shi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: another french interview

too bad that i don't speak french ...

http://www.objectif-cinema.com/interviews/341.php
Patricial

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject:

I tried translate into english but my english it is not correct. I hope you can understand my traduction. Smile I translate the first page. If you understand I will translate other pages. Wink

Fetish actor of Wong Kar-Wai (2046 is their 6th movie in common). Tony Leung played also under direction of John Woo (A Bullet in the Head, Hard Boiled) and Hsiao-Hsien (A City of Sadness, Flowers of Shanghai). Today, he is one of actors most popular of eastern asia.

OBJECTIF CINEMA (OC) : In 2046, you replay the role of Chow Mo-Wan, that you had played in "in the Mood for Love" (IMFL). For you, a actor, it is only a continuation or something new and different to play ?

TONY LEUNG (TL) : For me, it is something different, and it is a challenge. Because I play same character, Wong Kar-Wai (WKW) has asked me to play differently. I had played it as a new character, he wanted something really different from Mo-Wan of "IMFL". I found it interesting but it is enough difficult. I should try to work intensely body's language, gesture, tempo, manners of walking. Like this I knew character changed. But it is difficult, because in 2046, there is the origin's subconcious of mister Chow and when we play, we do not have conscious how we move.

OC : We know WKW have no script. How begins work ? With a gesture, a feeling, a situation ?

TL : I think that begins with a gesture, a movement, I think. For 2046, moustache helps me a lot, feeling difference with character of "IMFL". WKW insisted that I have a moustache. He thought that will help me to have another face - even if I do not think it is possible.
mu99le

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject:

thanks patricial!
eliza bennet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject:

merci beau coup Patricial Smile
Patricial

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject:

De Rien Smile

OC : How is a different interpretation, between theses 2 films, between 2 periods of a same character ? The Mo-Wan of 2046 iss maybe more cynical.

TL : Yes, more cynical. In "IMFL", Mo-Wan seems too tender, slow, his movements are soft.In 2046, it is not the same thing, he is more hard, and faster.

OC : Do you work like that with others film directors in Hong Kong? Or is WKW the only one to work like that?

TL :I believe that WKW is alone director working like that. The others discuss before filming, you have a script, you work on it, you can create your character : as his appearence, as his spychology. But with WKW, you do not know with what you work. You have not history, you have no script, you know not much on the character. You create your character, you develop it day after day as in everyday life. You do not know what will happen tomorrow. You must feel thecharacter, make experience yourself.

OC : It is also a way of live with the film, this way of work, because you are making experience during your own life, your life as a actor.

TL : Yes.

OC : Melancholy is one of bigs questions of WKW. It is very striking in "Happy Together", but all his films are clear on it. Do you try express something in relation with this feeling ?

TL : No. I do not fresee it, I never do think it.

OC : For me, you are really the actor, symbol of melancholy.

TL : Lot of people think it. But I do not make it intentionnaly.

Oc : Even in action's movies of John Woo (JW), very spectacular, you work with great economy means. For example, about the face, it is as you remove all feelings and express hust one or two. Is it your way of working ?

TL : I try useless technique as possible. I make it intentionnaly, and in ticular for WKW. We can see that I do not use none technique in his films. I just try feeling something.
Looney Tune

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Patricia. I think we can all see that Tony doesn't just play the character, he feels and lives the character. That is why he is what he is today Very Happy
Patricial

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject:

Yes, he feels and lives the character and it is why he do not want played sad character !!

OC : I have some picture in my head, as in 2046, your way of not looking card that Gong Li shows to you, or when, at the end of "Chungking Express", you discover Faye Wong in the restaurant. There, you express a great intensity with surprise, with suspension's time. We find film after film, this way of working on suspension that makes feelings so intense. Or also when you discover Leslie Cheung blessed, in "Happy Together"...

TL : In there, I do not it intentionaly. I believe that WKW catchs particulary moments.

OC : Then, more as a person than as an actor ? Does he looking for something particulary during filming, truth's moment of the person ?

TL : I believe he observes me a lot in everyday life. Thereafter, he can talk about it or uses it that he could perceive.

OC : In France, you are associated with gold age of asia's cinema. I remember to discover in same time all films of John Woo (JW), of WKW or Hsaou Hsien, for example. But for you, as an actor, what is difference between filming for WKW and JW, for example ?

TL : JW is better prepared when he comes on the filming. Sometimes, he is very difficult to reach compromises with him. When he insists you do something, you must do it and in his way. WKW seems more flexible, he take you a lot of liberty to create your own character. It is their bigger difference to film a scene.

OC : Infernal Affairs (IA), film of Andrew Lau, is released in France, some weeks ago. Some little as films of WKW, we have impression that you replay a character almost same the character in "Hardboiled" of JW, that you played few years ago but you interprete differently, a character more tired, perhaps.

TL : I really wanted played it differently. When I played in IA, it really revived memory that I had of "Hardboiled". It was difficult to replay this character that I played it most tired. But first, I wanted that he is a very optimistic person. If he do not, he became crazy after 2 months. I wanted to smile during all the film, even if in same time I wanted he is tired.

OC : What Does Hong Kong's people think about the film ?

TL : It is a great sucess. It seems people thinks that it is something of mainstream. Most of maintream 's directors think it also.

OC : Here, cinema of Hong Kong is also watched as a mainstream's cinema, a cinema of search of montage, of body, of gestuel, so what that WKW and others work with most intensity. What do you think today about your collaboration since you work together, since "Days of Being Wild", there is 14 years ago ?

TL : I think 2046 is the best movie of this sort of film that we can film. Now we want make something different. We think about an action's movie, a movie of kung-fu, more precisely. We discuss about it. But I believe that it is the best thing that we can do today, since movies that we made until today.

The end. Cool
su-shi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject:

Very Happy
thanks a lot to everyone
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: