TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Review of 2046 - SPOILER ALERT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eliza bennet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject:

Thank God, finally I was able to see 2046 - and I would not change a thing in it. It was simply the perfect fillm.

I have no problem with Gong Li (either as an actress or as a character in the film) I thought she was luminous, looking great and that break up scene and her after reaction to Tony's kiss were simply heartbreaking.

WKW to me is the perfect director.

reeve, let me tell you that I agree with all your answers and could not have worded them any better.

And Tony he is the best actor in the world! Literally. I do not think anyone else could handle the transition from playful to mournful, cruel and kind, in love and in lust this fine. It was a joy to watch him and he does it so seamlessly and effortlessly that I could only understand it after the film was over and I was thinking about it.

Also I think Kimu Taku san did great, I liked his performance but it is the first time I see him on screen so I can not know if it is WKW's magic or the actor's own accomplishment. He certainly looked hot though.

But Tony is the best looking and best acting of the bunch.

Listening to the soundtrack right now and it is highly recommended.
reeve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject:

eliza bennet wrote:
Thank God, finally I was able to see 2046 - and I would not change a thing in it. It was simply the perfect fillm.
I have no problem with Gong Li (either as an actress or as a character in the film) I thought she was luminous, looking great and that break up scene and her after reaction to Tony's kiss were simply heartbreaking.
WKW to me is the perfect director.
reeve, let me tell you that I agree with all your answers and could not have worded them any better.

glad to be of service, eliza. Very Happy and i totally agree; the farewell between tony and gong li was absolutely heartbreaking. i so wanted for them to meet up again, but they didn't... sigh.

i love wkw to pieces too. to me, 2046 turned out just the way i expected it to. wkw seemed a bit lost there, a bit nostalgic, and totally in love with the story that i didn't want it to end. it was like bidding an unwilling farewell to a love long cherished and feeling really hollow the moment you step out of the dream. sigh... if i were to write a story similar to 2046, i'd probably write it the same way too. plus, i can really relate to tony struggling to write an alternate ending to 2047. Laughing that was so funny and sort of deja vu for me...

eliza bennet wrote:
And Tony he is the best actor in the world! Literally. I do not think anyone else could handle the transition from playful to mournful, cruel and kind, in love and in lust this fine. It was a joy to watch him and he does it so seamlessly and effortlessly that I could only understand it after the film was over and I was thinking about it.
Also I think Kimu Taku san did great, I liked his performance but it is the first time I see him on screen so I can not know if it is WKW's magic or the actor's own accomplishment. He certainly looked hot though.
But Tony is the best looking and best acting of the bunch.

i agree. he's the best and most delectable... Wink his expressions were so spot on that i half adored him and half wanted to smack him for being such an idiot with all the ladies around him, especially gong li. sigh... btw, i'm looking for the uncut version of this movie. anybody here know where i can find it? i'm putting this on my list of new year goals, including some other things about terrorising censors. Twisted Evil

of course, taku san ain't bad too. he was so cute with faye, and when his character came back for faye a 2nd time sitting there while faye's father screamed at her in the next room, i just melted. Drunken when he started counting to pass time on the train, i just wanted to hug him... *gushes offscreen*

eliza bennet wrote:
Listening to the soundtrack right now and it is highly recommended.

i second that. the soundtrack is beautiful!
Pungyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Finally, Finally, Finally!!

I was finally able to view "2046!" I absolutely loved it!! It was so haunting... just like "In the Mood for Love" made me feel. Before I return the DVD, I'm going to have to watch it again.

I found the subplot... the story Mr. Chow wrote... to be very sad. My heart went out to the Japanese man on the train... but I totally identified with Tony's character. Wooo! It was actually a little uncanny... being a writer, too... sometimes in real life you're numb to emotions, especially after a traumatic break up... but all that emotion comes out in your work. (Although, Mr. Chow became very promiscuous to find that emotion in real life... I find it difficult to stay in a relationship because there's no "spark" for me in real life. It's better in my head, or, in other words, emotions are more fulfilling by "living" through my fictional characters, so to speak.) Does that sound whacky?? Drunken I hope not!

Anyway, although the performances of the actresses were outstanding... I didn't feel sympathetic to the female characters. They seemed so weak. No inner-strength... wishy-washy. If they were real people, I'd send them to a self-confidence seminar to give them a little back bone. Ha Ha.

And of course... Tony was as beautiful and amazing as ever! That man never disappoints me! How IS he possible?

-K

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: On the other hand...

I started to think about the female characters in the film again... Think I'm saying that these women were weak, but, now that I've thought about it again... this was supposed to be in the '60's... I suppose women then weren't as assertive as they are now. That could be the reason.

Also, I wanted to comment on the music... that one theme... it reminds me of the music found it "The Professional" starring Jean Reno in 1994. Very similar music... it's not the same composer, is it? I wish I could put the music, side by side to compare.

I haven't been able to see many films with Carina Lau in them... but, I really liked her in this one... Even though she's a grown woman and dealt with quite adult subject matter... there's this little girl quality, an innocence, about her I really like, too.

Also, I loved the interviews on the DVD with Tony, WKW and Ziyi. With all of the films I've seen lately with Zhang Ziyi, I've become a complete fan of hers... she's so young, but very smart, very talented, in fantastic shape to handle the physical aspects necessary in these films... and she's exquisite to look at!! She's quite the treasure, as is Gong Li, who I've loved for years... and Faye Wong... just as adorable as ever.

How did Tony handle all these beautiful women around him? Ha Ha!

And I really like to hear Tony speak in English (as he did in the behind the scenes interview)... he has a very soft, and peaceful voice. I wonder if he'd ever consider speaking English in a film or play? I'd love to hear him recite poetry in English... ah well... I digress...

-K
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: