TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

The Straits Times Interactive July 26 "So bad, he's goo

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Grrl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: The Straits Times Interactive July 26 "So bad, he's goo

JULY 26, 2004
So bad, he's good
By Clarissa Oon

IT IS not often that Hong Kong acclaimed actor Tony Leung Chiu Wai is floored by a director's request.

But Wong Kar Wai wanted him to turn the gentle, soft-spoken character he had played in In The Mood For Love into a bad guy in 2046.

A sequel of sorts to the much-raved In The Mood, 2046 premiered at Cannes Film Festival in May to great acclaim, though it did not win any awards.

Four years in the making, and narrowly missing its slot at Cannes because of Wong's last-minute editing, 2046 follows the erotic adventures of Leung's character with a string of beautiful women.

Leung, 42, who was in town yesterday to promote his movies on StarHub Cable TV, tells Life! in Mandarin that 'playing a guy I already know so well as almost a new person' was his biggest challenge.

Still, after watching the movie for the first time at Cannes, he says he was satisfied with his performance.

He adds with a grin: 'But I always like my performances when I watch them on screen for the first time. It's five or six times later that I start finding fault.'

On 2046, he likens the experience of acting with such beautiful and talented actresses as Gong Li, Zhang Ziyi, good friend Maggie Cheung and on-off girlfriend Carina Lau to 'making music with a very good ensemble'.

Ever the perfectionist, Wong has reportedly taken his film back into the editing room but Leung says it is scheduled for release in Asia in September.

Wearing a black blazer over blue jeans, with his trademark floppy fringe looking a little more gelled and layered than usual, he looks trim and relaxed despite having been in the business for over 20 years.

Reports from the mainland Chinese media had said that the busy actor, whose recent slew of films included mainstream blockbusters like Infernal Affairs III and the romantic comedy Sound Of Colors, was contemplating retirement in three years' time.

But Leung clarifies that 'I love movies too much to ever leave the industry', saying that he wants to go behind the scenes instead as a producer.

But directing is out 'because I don't think I have the talent and it's also a very tiring job'.

He keeps the stress at bay through sports, his favourite being table tennis, which he plays every day with a coach.

'It's not that I'm gunning to take part in competitions, but you have to play against someone good, otherwise you'll just be picking up balls all the time.'

Upcoming projects include making a new gongfu movie with long-time collaborator Wong, based on the life of Bruce Lee's shifu (teacher) Ye Wen, and shooting a sequel to his action movie Tokyo Raiders (2000).

He is also looking forward to the American remake of Infernal Affairs, the first instalment of the action trilogy in which he co-starred with Andy Lau.

Director Martin Scorsese and actor Brad Pitt are among the producers, and the latter is reportedly keen on playing triad mole Yan, the role made famous by Leung.

But the latter is sceptical that the Hollywood hunk will take on the character, who comes to a tragic end in the film.

As he puts it, with a laugh: 'Can Brad Pitt die?'

Chinese Midnight Express, starring Tony Leung, will be shown on Star Chinese Movies, StarHub Cable TV Channel 62, next month. Look out for Infernal Affairs I and Sound Of Colors later this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright @ 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.

Is this the same Tony...directing is out 'because I don't think I have the talent and it's also a very tiring job'. WHAT!?? He thinks that, he does not have the talent!!??
Is he kidding?

TLCW Fan UK
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: