TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Rewatching Tony's movies... (some SPOILERS)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reeve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Rewatching Tony's movies... (some SPOILERS)

hi, everybody,

i'm new to posting on this board. have always been just lurking and reading the posts. actually, this board is one of my fav stops, cause the discussions are always pretty fun and you guys do provide tons of news and cute pics of tony. am pretty grateful to you all for that, and also sandy and info for setting up and maintaining this site in the first place! Very Happy thanks!!

anyway, i have been rewatching alot of tony's movies lately (e.g. eagle shooting heroes---more like rewinding constantly to the scene where tony tries desparately to kill jacky with devastating results and laughing myself silly, and then replaying happy together enough to drive my housemates crazy) and going through my collection. i just realised that i lost my old copy of cyclo and flowers of shanghai and war of the underworld and am now wondering where i can find them again. Crying or Very sad

i have no credit card of my own, so i generally can't order the copies online. i've tried raiding all the video stores around town, but with not much luck. have also been looking for bullet in the head, my heart is that eternal rose, the longest nite and he ain't heavy, he's my father, but i've a feeling that they're currently out of print. if anyone of you happen to be able to help me find a copy, i won't mind paying for it and the postage as well. please help...

also, does anyone know if wongkarwai ever released the soundtrack for ashes of time? i've watched that movie to shreds, and sometimes, i'd just play the movie without watching it simply because i like the soundtrack, but i haven't been able to find a copy at all. i must have like searched for years, but no luck too. sigh... Sad okay, okay, i know i sound really desperate and bored. Rolling Eyes

between, i'm from malaysia, currently in singapore. i kinda grew up with tvb serials, hk and hollywood films etc. i've had a crush on tony ever since i was a kid watching him in erm... Embarassed okay, i don't remember which first serial i spotted him in, but i liked him best among the five tigers then, followed by miu kiu wai. pity that he's no longer in show business. Sad aside from that, my fav couple was tony and barbara yung in the roughride. on the silverscreen, i liked the chemistry between maggie and tony in hero, especially in the tender blue themed sequences, and the last fight in white in the desert. i brought my friends along to see it in the cinema, and one of them came out gushing that 'tony leung is god'. Wink (actually, the ticketing auntie was doing a double take, because i was bringing my indian friends to see this film) he does have that effect, doesn't he, what with the long hair blowing in the wind and those soulful eyes looking like a broken child that sort of breaks your heart. me, however, was already fainting and gushing shamelessly with my other fellow tony-crazed friends upon the release of the trailer. Very Happy

wishing that 2046 would come out sooner too... could hardly wait!---------------reeve
eliza bennet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rewatching Tony's movies... (some SPOILERS)

reeve wrote:
also, does anyone know if wongkarwai ever released the soundtrack for ashes of time? i've watched that movie to shreds, and sometimes, i'd just play the movie without watching it simply because i like the soundtrack, but i haven't been able to find a copy at all. i must have like searched for years, but no luck too.

I have been after that soundtrack for a long time too, and finally managed to find it in Yokohama Chinatown. Paid a lot for it but very happy Smile

Last year I think I came across it in yesasia store but since you do not use credit card yet, it might take a while to order it (if it is still there that is)

And welcome to the board, it is good that you have started to post Smile

sorry I'm no help in finding films since I live in Istanbul but there are poster from Singapore here and I'm sure they will give you some pointers.
Tony Grrl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject:

First of all let me say Hi!! Secondly congratulations on your efforts in introducing your friends to Tony.

"Tony is a god" LOL that is a wonderful reaction. Hero is an amazing use of his talents that is for sure.

All the films you mention are available on ebay. But if like me you don't have a credit card you can easily set up a paypal account and send and receive money using your email address. That is what I do. go to www.paypal.com if you are interested.

All the best of luck with your search!!

Laughing

TLCW Fan UK
mu99le

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewatching Tony's movies... (some SPOILERS)

reeve wrote:
between, i'm from malaysia, currently in singapore. i kinda grew up with tvb serials, hk and hollywood films etc. i've had a crush on tony ever since i was a kid watching him in erm... Embarassed okay, i don't remember which first serial i spotted him in, but i liked him best among the five tigers then, followed by miu kiu wai. pity that he's no longer in show business. Sad

warm welcome from another longtime fan!! Very Happy like u i've known tony since tvb days (how old were u then? i was 9 at the time) and it was very bad because at the time my classmates were all into the other four tigers and they liked to call him ugly!!! I'd LOVE to see their looks if they could see Tony NOW!!! he just gets better and better in everything doesn't he? anyway i watched him first in Duke of Mt. Deer followed by Long Way Home and Heavenly Sword, but i officially become a fan only after seeing Police Cadet '85 (i was big fan of Margie Tsang too Wink). Unfortunately in 1990s he changed image and i lost interest in him until i heard about his Cannes win (which made my eyes popped out). then i found this site in 2002 when i was searching for Healing Hearts soundtrack and the rest is history. now i don't think anyone can replace him as my number 1 favorite! Razz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Hi Mu99le.I think i 'm also like you.I watched his series when i was 6.But at that time i don't care about him.But when i watch Hero ,every thing changed.I think Tony looks more hansome ang charming when he become aged.And now i really become a his crazy fan.I hope that he will win at Cannes for second award.i think that he will success

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject:

hi again, Smile

eliza, you're in istanbul? what's the city like? i've always wanted to go and see the Hagia Sophia, but haven't yet gotten the opportunity. i'd pay a fortune for the soundtrack too. Wink of course, i'd be pretty broke after that for some time, but i think it'd be worth it. my fav tracks are the ones where tony's character kisses charlie young's character and leaves for his last battle, the track playing when maggie's character cries, and the last song playing in the end.

thanks, sheila, for the link to paypal. am currently still looking through the way it works, although i'm a bit paranoid about most online transactions. Sad on another note, my friend did comment that tony's a bit short, which is true, but i think it sort of adds to his cuddliness, like a very handsome and huggable teddy bear. Wink she even set up pics of leslie and tony from happy together (which i sent her) as a her desktop background for a time. (actually, she beat me to that... Surprised )

mu99le, i think i was about 4 when i first saw him, but back then, he was doing small parts alongside chowyunfatt and felix wong etc. i think it was some tvb serial about a miu statue that's cursed or something. and another serial about the shanghai triads or something, and tony was always playing the little brother to somebody else. not sure which one i saw first, but i've always rooted for him most. i guess my first impression of him was that he seem like a warm and gentle person, much more accessible and down to earth, compared to the elegant looks of miu kiu wai, the cool appeal of andy lau, the goofiness of felix wong and the aloofness of kent tong. Smile yeah, i understand how you feel, especially if all your friends were supporting the other tigers. i think at the time, no one expected tony to last very long, compared to the rest. so it's pretty surprising that out of the five, only tony and andy is now very successful, and felix still in show business. (between, mu99le, where are you from? Smile )

i followed tony quite obssessively in my early teens, sometimes even going to the extent of taping or staying up late for every single tvb show or event that he made an appearance in. i remember taping the last episode of seasons III cause tony played one of the sons in that serial. alas, unfortunately, that tape is now molding. Mad

i liked hsds too, but not as much after maggie siu's character left. i was kind of disappointed that tony's character didn't end up with her. of course, i was very young then when i saw the serial, and haven't yet read the wuxia novels. (personally, i never really liked kitty lai, so i lost interest for a while) by the way, which one was long way home?

my fav tvb serials include hsds, hap hak hang, duke of mount deer and roughride. i think i never got to watch the whole of the police cadet series. i saw yang saga though. at that time, my fav couple was tony and barbara, cause there was this very sweet ending in the roughride, where tony pinches barbara's nose lightly and told her that he would never make her cry ever, cause after that, he'd dedicate his life to making her smile. sigh... (i remember barbara committing suicide when i was 6 or 7, and i was very heartbroken then. Crying or Very sad ) aside from that, i didn't really care who he dated, although i'd admit that i did think maggie cheung and him would make a good looking pair (nothing against carina, of course).

i wasn't very closely following any of the hk stars in the 90s, since i was busy mugging for my studies etc. but tony was still my fav, so i tried to follow his work whenever i can, although i think he did a lot of pretty crappy films before hard boiled. after that, dr mack and he ain't heavy... was pretty good. of course, there were the wongkarwai films as well. i think the image change was because of the fashion at that time. i admit i didn't really like the nosering and the hair falling over his eyes all the time. a bit irritating. blame the hk stylists. evil thank god that they've since disposed of that trend!

i was happy for him when he won the best actor accolade at cannes, since i felt he should have back in 97 for happy together. i actually prefered him in ht, compared to itmfl. he has matured really well over the years, in some ways losing the boyish innocence he had but still retaining the slightly crooked smile and boyish charm. sometimes, he reminds me of peter pan. Wink and yes, i think i will always have a soft spot for him too! Very Happy

okay... i should really stop gushing now. Embarassed sorry for the extremely long posts too.

-----------reeve
eliza bennet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject:

No problem with the long posts. Personally I love to read about Tony (although I still feel pain over the TVB series that I can not watch - no subs Sad )

There is nothing in the soundtrack that I didn't like but my fave parts of the soundtrack are Tony's final fight and Brigitte & Leslie together - imagining other people -

Happy Together is also another fave(WKW nıtcase that I'm) and its soundtrack is brilliant. Although I identify more with Leslie character in the film, Tony of course did an excellent job (although he suffered a lot during the shooting- porr thing)

But to me his ITMFL performance is perfection. The scene in which he looks out and faintly smiles (the one with the yellow light), the last scene, oh basically all the scenes and let me tell you I'm including the scenes in the footage WKW never used in the film (but thank God put in the dvd Smile )

Nice to have another poster who loves Tony and talking about him.

And you are welcome to Istanbul anytime - just please let me know your arrival and you will have a voluntary guide to not only Haiga Sophia but all the other places too !

- Girls needless to say that this applies to all of you who post in this forum but I'm saying it anyway Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject:

eliza bennet wrote:
No problem with the long posts. Personally I love to read about Tony (although I still feel pain over the TVB series that I can not watch - no subs Sad )

eliza, don't be sad. we could write to tvb and see if they'd decide to put in english subtitles into their old series. Very Happy i grew up watching these serials, so i picked up my cantonese from there. plus, my mum speaks in cantonese with her sisters too. but my brothers are not very fluent in cantonese, so one of my brothers would only watch the serials on tv, cause they have malay subtitles on them back home that he'd understand.

eliza bennet wrote:
Happy Together is also another fave(WKW nıtcase that I'm) and its soundtrack is brilliant. Although I identify more with Leslie character in the film, Tony of course did an excellent job (although he suffered a lot during the shooting- porr thing)

don't worry, i'm a certifiable wkw nut too. Wink i like tony's character in ht more, although i did cry with leslie's character when he started mopping in lyf's old apartment, knowing that he won't come back anymore. also, when hpw was dancing with his client and the scene juxtapose with hpw's memories of reflections in the mirror of him dancing with lyf, that really broke my heart to pieces. Crying or Very sad sniff...

eliza bennet wrote:
But to me his ITMFL performance is perfection. The scene in which he looks out and faintly smiles (the one with the yellow light), the last scene, oh basically all the scenes and let me tell you I'm including the scenes in the footage WKW never used in the film (but thank God put in the dvd Smile )

ahh.... Mad i haven't seen the dvd! are there interviews too? i've heard that there're several versions of the dvd, and they kind of have different features. my fav scene in itmfl was the scene where tony asked to rehearse the breaking up/leaving scene, cause that's where you suddenly realise that his character is not at all altruistic and is in fact seeking revenge. but it was so subtle that more than 80% of the audience didn't catch on, and i was thinking, wow, that's just sublime (and the same time scary...) manipulation on the part of the character. tony conveyed this very well and very realistically. Cool very suave and cool.

eliza bennet wrote:
And you are welcome to Istanbul anytime - just please let me know your arrival and you will have a voluntary guide to not only Haiga Sophia but all the other places too !

thanks! Very Happy i would love that!! first, i'd have to save the money though... you're welcome to singapore too, and i can be your guide. and if tony drop by singapore at the same time, we could all go camp out/line up at the venues and snap pics and beg for autographs. i missed him when he came the last time, cause i was on night shift. Crying or Very sad
reeve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject:

oops, sorry, just realised that i forgot to log in again... twice. Embarassed really very sorry...
mu99le

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject:

hello reeve, sorry for this late reply. i am an indonesian-born chinese living in Jakarta. I also didn't expect at first that the youngest two tigers would later become the most long-lasting and popular ones, and tony the underdog would become the only tiger well-known overseas. i already knew from the beginning that he's special. Cool he really makes us proud.

Anonymous wrote:
he seem like a warm and gentle person, much more accessible and down to earth, compared to the elegant looks of miu kiu wai, the cool appeal of andy lau, the goofiness of felix wong and the aloofness of kent tong. Smile

i can't put it better myself Smile with his not-too-handsome but bright looks, he's really the most appealing at the time (and now that he has grown to extremely handsome man himself makes him much more irresistible!!)

Anonymous wrote:
i remember taping the last episode of seasons III cause tony played one of the sons in that serial. alas, unfortunately, that tape is now molding. Mad

ahh too bad!!! is that about a very rich family with three sons and tony's the youngest away in England?

Anonymous wrote:
by the way, which one was long way home?

Long way home is the one where tony and Yammie Nam Kit Ying (poor girl...she used to be a bright young star and now she's in and out the mental institution) play husband and wife. if i remember correctly, the problem in the story begins when tony lost his job and his wife needs to work instead. i can't remember the story clearly but it has a happy ending. oh, Carol Cheng and Lui Leung Wai were also in this series.

Anonymous wrote:
my fav tvb serials include hsds, hap hak hang, duke of mount deer and roughride. i think i never got to watch the whole of the police cadet series. i saw yang saga though. at that time, my fav couple was tony and barbara, cause there was this very sweet ending in the roughride, where tony pinches barbara's nose lightly and told her that he would never make her cry ever, cause after that, he'd dedicate his life to making her smile. sigh... (i remember barbara committing suicide when i was 6 or 7, and i was very heartbroken then. Crying or Very sad ) aside from that, i didn't really care who he dated, although i'd admit that i did think maggie cheung and him would make a good looking pair (nothing against carina, of course).

you can find pics from Police Cadet and Yang's Saga in the Pictures forum...let yourself go back to the good ole days as you see the younger Maggie, Carina, Andy, Tony and sweet little Margie (Tony's first GF). Yeah I remember the 5 tigers as the pallbearers in Barbara's funeral...so sad.

Anonymous wrote:
i wasn't very closely following any of the hk stars in the 90s... i think the image change was because of the fashion at that time. i admit i didn't really like the nosering and the hair falling over his eyes all the time. a bit irritating. blame the hk stylists. evil thank god that they've since disposed of that trend!

yeah that really made me lost interest at the time Sad. thank Heavens he's now back to his old casual self!!!

Anonymous wrote:
i was happy for him when he won the best actor accolade at cannes, since i felt he should have back in 97 for happy together. i actually prefered him in ht, compared to itmfl. he has matured really well over the years, in some ways losing the boyish innocence he had but still retaining the slightly crooked smile and boyish charm. sometimes, he reminds me of peter pan. Wink and yes, i think i will always have a soft spot for him too! Very Happy

peter pan LOL!!! that's a really good comparison...tony himself said he refused to grow old, which i think perhaps explain his youthful looks. i was very shocked also when he appeared in Cannes '97 (i was waiting for news about my favorite tennis player at the time and i got that news instead...what a nice surprise!). And i become even more surprised when he won the title in 2000 as well as voted as the Sexiest newcomer in US People mag. but the real shock came when i found sandy's site and saw that he's still as handsome as ever, if not better!!! he's not only cute and warm now but also charming and sexy! i don't think anyone can replace him as my no. 1 favorite now! Very Happy whoops i need to stop gushing too!
reeve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject:

mu99le wrote:
i am an indonesian-born chinese living in Jakarta.

hi, mu99le. Smile my housemate's from jakarta too.

mu99le wrote:
I also didn't expect at first that the youngest two tigers would later become the most long-lasting and popular ones, and tony the underdog would become the only tiger well-known overseas. i already knew from the beginning that he's special. Cool he really makes us proud.

yeah, he was definitely the underdog then, being the youngest, and if i'm not mistaken, also the shortest of the tigers. my dad used to call him 'xiao bai lien', not sure what is the english equivalent for the term. but he and my mum did like him in duke of mount deer very much. Very Happy

mu99le wrote:
is that about a very rich family with three sons and tony's the youngest away in England?

yes! that's the one. Very Happy he played the youngest son studying medicine in england. pity he only appeared in like the last few episodes. Sad

mu99le wrote:
Long way home is the one where tony and Yammie Nam Kit Ying (poor girl...she used to be a bright young star and now she's in and out the mental institution) play husband and wife. if i remember correctly, the problem in the story begins when tony lost his job and his wife needs to work instead. i can't remember the story clearly but it has a happy ending. oh, Carol Cheng and Lui Leung Wai were also in this series.

okay, you've peeked my curiousity (although i've a sneaking suspicion that i might have already seen it when i was a child), am going to raid the local video store this evening for it... pirate

mu99le wrote:
Yeah I remember the 5 tigers as the pallbearers in Barbara's funeral...so sad.

yeah, i remember that too. me and my friends actually cried for two days after that... Crying or Very sad

mu99le wrote:
And i become even more surprised when he won the title in 2000 as well as voted as the Sexiest newcomer in US People mag.

i was wondering when they'd actually catch on. Wink

mu99le wrote:
but the real shock came when i found sandy's site and saw that he's still as handsome as ever, if not better!!! he's not only cute and warm now but also charming and sexy! i don't think anyone can replace him as my no. 1 favorite now! Very Happy whoops i need to stop gushing too!

actually, i'm pretty grateful for this site too, cause i'm chinese impaired (i can speak it but not read/write it.) yeah, i think he's very cuddly and sexy too. plus, he's a great actor to boot. his smile never fails to melt me into a mushy puddle. sigh...
mu99le

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject:

reeve wrote:
yeah, he was definitely the underdog then, being the youngest, and if i'm not mistaken, also the shortest of the tigers. my dad used to call him 'xiao bai lien', not sure what is the english equivalent for the term. but he and my mum did like him in duke of mount deer very much. Very Happy

haha yes!!! he's the youngest, the shortest and yet the cutest and most talented! he's really the proof of the Bible passages "Blessed are the meek" and "the last will be the first" Laughing

reeve wrote:
yes! that's the one. Very Happy he played the youngest son studying medicine in england. pity he only appeared in like the last few episodes. Sad

yeah too bad...he saved somebody near the end of the series but then he just disappeared and not being mentioned anymore Sad (and pity that he didn't share screen time with Margie Tsang who's also in the series)

reeve wrote:
okay, you've peeked my curiousity (although i've a sneaking suspicion that i might have already seen it when i was a child), am going to raid the local video store this evening for it... pirate

BTW I just got VCDs of HSDS yesterday in China town....SOOOO HAPPY!!! felt like discovering long lost friend! Very Happy

reeve wrote:
his smile never fails to melt me into a mushy puddle. sigh...

haha yes his smile is really heart-melting!!! in fact that's what attracted me to him 15 yrs ago Wink

BTW reeve are u on friendster, YM or MSN messenger? if yes can you give ur email? love to chat with u online! Smile
reeve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject:

mu99le wrote:
yeah too bad...he saved somebody near the end of the series but then he just disappeared and not being mentioned anymore Sad (and pity that he didn't share screen time with Margie Tsang who's also in the series)

i think he was paired with 'chen ya lun', not sure what her english name was. the only clear memory i had of the series was tony looking very delectable in a white long sleeved shirt (folded to his elbows) and loose white pants. he had a slightly curly fringe too. Wink very cute. if my memory serves me right, he saved his eldest brother's life by donating blood to him after he got stabbed by his biological mother when she went mad. by the way, which role did margie play, and which season was she in --- I, II or III?

mu99le wrote:
BTW I just got VCDs of HSDS yesterday in China town....SOOOO HAPPY!!! felt like discovering long lost friend! Very Happy

Very Happy that's a good series. i was very happy too when tvb rereleased it in vcd format. i kept rewinding to my fav parts for days on end. which were your fav parts?

mu99le wrote:
BTW reeve are u on friendster, YM or MSN messenger? if yes can you give ur email? love to chat with u online! Smile

okay, i've just managed to install yahoo_mesenger, so i can be contacted at reeve_odharnait@yahoo.com.sg. Smile would love to chat with you too!
mu99le

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject:

reeve wrote:
i think he was paired with 'chen ya lun', not sure what her english name was. the only clear memory i had of the series was tony looking very delectable in a white long sleeved shirt (folded to his elbows) and loose white pants. he had a slightly curly fringe too. Wink very cute. if my memory serves me right, he saved his eldest brother's life by donating blood to him after he got stabbed by his biological mother when she went mad. by the way, which role did margie play, and which season was she in --- I, II or III?

don't remember him in whites (what a shame) but i remember the blood donation part Wink too bad after that he just disappeared...anyway i'm not sure which season margie's in, but she played the rebellious daughter of a Filipino maid named Maria if i'm not mistaken.

reeve wrote:
Very Happy that's a good series. i was very happy too when tvb rereleased it in vcd format. i kept rewinding to my fav parts for days on end. which were your fav parts?

well the last time i saw the series was on 1995 so i'm rather blur now about which part i love the most...but i always love the scenes where Mo Gei's surrounded by all the girls who have crush on him Wink

reeve wrote:
okay, i've just managed to install yahoo_mesenger, so i can be contacted at reeve_odharnait@yahoo.com.sg. Smile would love to chat with you too!

ok see ya online!! i will be busy these two weeks tho so maybe won't be able to chat for too long Smile
whatever

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject:

I just read the posts in here. Wow! Many people have been his fans for so long. I just recently watch his series and movies from last year. I just became his fan afer the first series that I saw him in: Duke of Mount Deer last year. I was very surprised with how vertaile he is. He could act any role! Shocked I think that he is very good. How come he didn't get famous then. Compare to other Four Tiger at that period, I think that his acting (even at that time) was the best. Also even though he is not handsome, he is very charming and cute. How come people at that time didn't like him? To me, if he is handsome, I don't think that I would like him as much as right now.
PS. Am I the youngest one in here? I am only 17 years old. When his series came out, I didn't even born yet. Sometimes, I wish that I could live in the 80s.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: