TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Article in Camden New Journal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sealkie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Article in Camden New Journal

Infernal Affairs: Whatever you do, get to the cinema early for Infernal Affairs, find a good seat, remove your coat, and ignore any search for latecomers even if you?re on a first date.
Do not take your eyes off the screen. If you do you?ll be completely flummoxed (like my brother, who nipped off to buy some chocolate peanuts and got back to discover the whole cast had changed).
Miss the credit sequence, miss the plot. The story is of an undercover cop working for the Triads (Tony Leung) and an undercover gangster working for the cops (Andy Lau).
They hate their lives and would love to have normal, easy, jobs, jobs with a pay packet that doesn?t come inside a dead man?s briefcase.
This is contemporary Hong Kong ? cue sleek streets and glittering warehouse roofs upon which the two heroes stare each other out between shoot-outs.
The film stars Tony Leung (In The Mood For Love) who in China is a kind of George Clooney meets Sean Penn (but properly cool) and was at the screening I went to last Sunday at the Curzon Soho.
Only in London for 30 hours promoting the film, Tony looked crumpled and woozy and spoke in a low, creamy voice.
The women in the cinema went wild. Three hundred camera phones were raised in salute. I like this film, he said, but it?s a little bit sad. My character is a little bit sad.
Then he looked quite faint and the interviewer threw him on the mercy of the girls.
Subsequently, all eyes were at the back of the room watching him being carried out when the film started hence no one could work out what was going on.
But a quick confab along the row confirmed that yes, everyone in the film is working undercover. Infernal Affairs is zingy and then melancholy and then silly ? and the different moods come up like riffs, careening you along, pulling you up high. It?s a massive hit in its native city and deserves to thrill everybody here.

http://www.camdennewjournal.co.uk/r260204_2.htm
Tony Grrl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Only in London for 30 hours promoting the film, Tony looked crumpled and woozy and spoke in a low, creamy voice.
The women in the cinema went wild. Three hundred camera phones were raised in salute. I like this film, he said, but it?s a little bit sad. My character is a little bit sad.
Then he looked quite faint and the interviewer threw him on the mercy of the girls.
Subsequently, all eyes were at the back of the room watching him being carried out when the film started hence no one could work out what was going on.

Tony looked crumpled... Laughing he always does. What is this reviewer on about? He was "carried out"? HUH? Shocked Darn it, I wish I could have been there! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Sounds like it was an interesting evening!

TLCW Fan UK
melloncollie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject:

aww crumpled.. stick him in a trouser press!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject:

aww great comparation,i always wonder who in hollywood does tony resemble...Sean Penn! he is a great actor! first the name Johnny Depp comes to mind,but tony's films arent as quirky as johnny's...
but george clooney?mm.. is it because the two of them remains a bachelor?(although george is a divorcee)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Tony in Camden journal

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Well, I think this writer did a disservice to Tony--comparing him to George Clooney !!! i've met Clooney--nice guy, friendly, but as an actor--ay..a lightweight!!! i've seen him 'work'--hm.. Embarassed

Sean Penn is a heavy-weight,serious. I like him. Mad
Johnny Depp--is wonderful....a real Matinee Idol ! Cool Cool Cool
melloncollie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject:

I'd say John Cusak if we;re doing the hollywood comparisions

i can just imagine tony as rob from high fedillity lol ... plus the acreer stuff they both do serious films as well as to be honest less serious and er crappier films
the charater sthey play are quite simialr too not to emntion they both have goregous big brown puppy dog eyes

and johnny depp is wonderfull !!! all hail the deppster!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject:

what about ed norton? he has the talent and looks too..
john cusack? he resemble tony's cuteness..but i'm not quite sure with his acting chop (do correct me if i'm wrong,i've only saw him in HF)
eliza bennet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject:

I have not seen Identity yet but Cusack is almost always the same character in the films I have seen him in. (My fave is Say Anything but Grosse Point Blank was OK too)

Ed Norton is talented, classy and intelligent. I don't know about the looks though. Never thought he was handsome except in American History X.

Seriously I'm trying but can not come up with a caucasian actor who has the same effect Tony has on me. Talentwise yeah there are some who are as talented but they somehow lose in the looks department.

Johnny Depp, I agree has both the looks and the talent and I like him a lot (he was the only good thing in Pirates of the Carribean) but I do not get that "vibe" from him. I like him but do not want him to kiss me and take me in his arms.....
loope

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject:

i find ed quite cute in primal fear--funny that u mention American X, i totally dislike him in there,all with the skinhead and all,after i watched the movie,i ad nightmare Mad --
johnny...to be honest,i thought he was good-looking in a polite way,but after the oscar,i realized he is beyond polite Embarassed
caucasian actor to kiss and hold me......--call me obvious-- but nothing can go wrong with Brad Pitt Laughing
mu99le

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject:

eliza bennet wrote:
Johnny Depp, I agree has both the looks and the talent and I like him a lot (he was the only good thing in Pirates of the Carribean) but I do not get that "vibe" from him. I like him but do not want him to kiss me and take me in his arms.....

fyi, the Guardian article mentioned that Tony has been called HK's answer to Johnny Depp because they both have the boyish look and the talent...but i agree that's the closest they can get Razz

p.s: additional info--majority of voters in HKentreview poll say Depp should play opposite Pitt in IA remake...supposedly playing Tony's role.
eliza bennet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject:

loope wrote:
i find ed quite cute in primal fear--funny that u mention American X, i totally dislike him in there,all with the skinhead and all,after i watched the movie,i ad nightmare Mad --

But Ed's character in Primal Fear was a lot nastier than his in American History X (for me at least) . What I meant was that his body was great in AHX

But I guess we'd both agree on his best character to be the priest in "Keeping The Faith" Smile
loope

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
But Ed's character in Primal Fear was a lot nastier than his in American History X (for me at least) . What I meant was that his body was great in AHX

body yes. but i cant stand skin head--just the image make me shiver--
yes,keeping the faith,very suave indeed Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Camden journal interview

Now, Edward Norton is a very good example of an actor with 'tremendous' range- a true chameleon. He's fearless !!! A real character actor. And his taste in women equally brave & diverse ----Courtney Love ?? Salma Hayek ??? !!

He reminds me of the young Robert DeNIro.
luong trieu vy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject:

i cannot tell john cusack from edward norton. they look so much alike! i swear they must be twins or something.
Tony Grrl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject:

John Cusack and Edward Norton...you know I haven't the foggiest idea who they are or what they look like.
No one comes close to Tony from the US...there's only one actor in my opinion that comes close to Tony in the west. He has worked in Hollywood, but being Hollywood they have only given him dumb roles. They have never made use of him fully. That actor is Jonathan Hyde. He as a wonderfully rich voice, and great acting ability. I loved his stage work when he was in the UK and saw him on stage many times. The last time as Creon in Antigone at the Old Vic, in London.

Here is a quote from a review of that production
"Jonathan Hyde shows each stage of Creon's decline with appalling clarity. He lets you see that contact with Antigone brings all his weaknesses, catastrophically, to the surface."
Brilliant as Brutus in the Royal Shakespeare Company production of Julius Caesar.

He has been back to the London stage but sadly I can't get to London anymore.

He appears to be directing stage productions too..
MARILYN MONROE - HER OWN WORDS has been directed by Hollywood film actor Jonathan Hyde whose film appearances include - The Mummy (1999), Titanic (1997), Anaconda (1997), Jumanji (1995). Television credits include Midsomer Murders (2003), Dinotopia (2002) and A Touch of Frost (1998). His theatre work includes numerous productions with The Royal Shakespeare Company and The Royal National Theatre.

Oh and he can sing too! Very Happy
http://www.tmaw.co.uk/jonh.html
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/PersonDetail/personid-122922

TLCW Fan UK
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: