TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

My opinion of IA3

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: My opinion of IA3

Having read generally unflattering reviews of Infernal Affairs 3, I was rather skeptical this afternoon when I played the movie on my laptop. However, it again proves to me that opinion about what is good and what is not is most of the time a subjective issue, just like the debate about who should get the Golden Horse Best Actor award is a matter of personal view.

In my humble opinion, the final installment of Infernal Affairs trilogy unfolds nicely and neatly. The mystery and intensity is well built, and the storyline--despite frequent flashbacks and unnecessary love story between Dr. Lee (Kelly Chen) and Chen Wing Yan (Tony Leung)--is not hard to understand.

The movie basically continues on the fate of Ming (Andy Lau) after Yan's death, which is aptly likened to being cast in the lowest part of hell by the movie title. Torn between his desire to start anew and the shadow of his past sins, Ming developed obssession of self-atonement. He suspected Yeong (Leon Lai), a high-rank police officer, as another triad spy as he seemed to be linked with Cheng (Chen Dao-Ming), a mysterious Chinaman who once had business with Ming's triad boss Sam (Eric Tsang). Ming began to investigate Yeong, but he was so preoccupied with his ultimate goal to do good that he was not aware that Yeong and Cheng have actually been watching him. The ending was a surprise that is nicely unrevealed through intersections between the untold past and the present.

The cynics are only right about one thing: the screen time wasted to show Yan's private life could be used for something else. While the relationship between Yan and Dr. Lee provides a nice comic relief, it does not fit the theme of the story. It shows how Andrew Lau and Alan Mak, despite their realization of the importance of good story, are still unable to escape the temptation of making commercial success. Indeed, I don't think the movie could attract so many viewers if these scenes had not existed, especially with Leung's cheeky, scene-stealing charm enlivening it.

Andy Lau plays psychologically-damaged Ming with engaging intensity, yet sometimes slips to over-dramatization. Leon Lai is captivating in his own subtle way as mysterious Yeong, while Eric Tsang is equally superb as the cold-blooded Sam. Leung, while manages to steal the scenes with his apt subtlety, does not have room to show the depth of his character. Similarly, Chen Daoming and Anthony Wong's strong performances are underused with limited screen time.

Yet despite all the weaknesses, the latest installment of Infernal Affairs is not necessarily a failure. It manages to end the trilogy in a unusual, captivating way. It may not be the return of the king, but it is entertaining in its own right.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: