TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

The Grandmaster to Open Berlin International Film Festival

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: The Grandmaster to Open Berlin International Film Festival

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

Berlin 2013: Wong Kar Wai's 'The Grandmaster' to Open Festival
3:32 AM PST 12/19/2012 by Scott Roxborough

Courtesy of Berlinale 2011
The martial arts epic stars Tony Leung and Ziyi Zhang.

BERLIN - Wong Kar Wai's martial arts epic The Grandmaster starring Tony Leung and Ziyi Zhang will open the 63rd Berlin International Film Festival on Feb. 7, 2013.

Chang Chen, Xiao Shengyang and Song Hye Kyo also star.

The film is set in 1930s China and is inspired by the life of the legendary martial artist the Ip Man, mentor to Bruce Lee, whom Leung will play in the film. Wong, whose work includes such acclaimed dramas as In the Mood For Love, Chungking Express, Happy Together and Blueberry Nights, has been working on the idea for The Grandmaster since 1996.

The film will screen out of competition in Berlin as director Wong is also President of the Jury for the 2013 Berlinale.

Typical for the perfectionist director, Wong is still editing the final cut of Grandmaster, which will have its world premiere in China on Jan. 8. Berlin will be the international premiere.

“I am truly very honored by (Berlin Festival director) Dieter (Kosslick) and his invitation for my new film The Grandmaster to participate in the 63rd Berlinale and to open the festival," said Wong. "This is a dream project for me that I had been developing for many years... I was already greatly looking forward to my returning to Berlin to serve as the President of the International Jury, so seeing The Grandmaster presented there will make it all the more special for me."

STORY: Berlin Film Festival Names Wong Kar Wai Jury President
The Grandmaster is a Block 2 Pictures and Sil-Metropole Organisation presentation of a Jet Tone Films and Sil-Metropole Organisation production.

It bows worldwide in the Spring of 2013, with Wild Bunch handling the film's release in Germany.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject:

YES Exclamation Exclamation Thanks Jamaica for sharing

From Berlinale
http://www.berlinale.de/en/presse/pressemitteilungen/alle/Alle-Detail_16084.html

Dec 19, 2012:
WONG Kar Wai's The Grandmaster to open 63rd Berlinale

The international premiere of The Grandmaster by Chinese director and president of this year's jury, WONG Kar Wai, will open the 63rd Berlin International Film Festival.

The Grandmaster is an epic martial arts drama set against the tumultuous backdrop of 1930’s China and inspired by the life and times of the legendary IP Man (Tony LEUNG Chiu Wai), mentor to Bruce LEE. The plot encompasses themes of war, family, revenge, desire, love, and memory. The all-star cast headed by Tony LEUNG Chiu Wai (Days of Being Wild - Berlinale Forum 1991, Chungking Express, Happy Together, In The Mood for Love, 2046, all directed by WONG Kar Wai), also includes Ziyi ZHANG (Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon, D: Ang Lee), who was a guest at the 2009 Berlinale Competition with Forever Enthralled (D: CHEN Kaige), CHANG Chen (Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon; Eros, D: WONG Kar Wai), ZHAO Benshan (Happy Times, D: ZHANG Yimou), XIAO Shengyang (A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop, D: ZHANG Yimou - Berlinale Competition 2010) and SONG Hye Kyo (A Reason to Live, D: LEE Jeong-hyang), as well as hundreds of Asia’s top martial artists.

“It is a special honour for us to open the 2013 Berlinale with the presentation of the newest film by this year's jury president, WONG Kar Wai. With The Grandmaster, Kar Wai has added a new and exciting facet to his body of works, and created an artful, visually powerful genre film,” says festival director Dieter Kosslick.

Nearly three years of film production and almost a decade of preparation went into the making of The Grandmaster for its director WONG Kar Wai, who began exploring the idea for the film in 1996.

“I am truly very honoured by Dieter and his invitation for my new film The Grandmaster to participate in the 63rd Berlinale and to open the festival. This is a dream project for me that I had been developing for many years. I am very happy to be able to present it in Berlin. I was already greatly looking forward to my returning to Berlin to serve as the President of the International Jury, so seeing The Grandmaster presented there will make it all the more special for me,” says WONG Kar Wai.

With his signature style-defining mood, atmosphere and reality, director WONG Kar Wai delves into the eternal question in martial arts of whether the victor is more than merely the "last man standing", and brings the genre to new heights.

The Grandmaster is a Block 2 Pictures and Sil-Metropole Organisation presentation of a Jet Tone Films and Sil-Metropole Organisation production. It is written and directed by WONG Kar Wai.

The Grandmaster will be presented as the opening film in the official selection, but screening out of competition.

The world premiere of The Grandmaster will be celebrated on January 8, 2013 in China, and the film will open at cinemas in numerous countries including Germany in spring 2013. The film’s distributor in Germany will be Wild Bunch.

Press Office
December 19, 2012
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject:

yitian wrote:

Dec 19, 2012:
WONG Kar Wai's The Grandmaster to open 63rd Berlinale

I´m ... I`m ... I`m ... speachless.

Dancing

Helga, let`s start to make plans?!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject:

cheers hahaha...... scratch see "Random Thoughts" Wink
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject:

Ähh, sorry. I just got home from my noon shift and this was the first I`ve read. Embarassed
Aww, come on!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject:

haha Very Happy
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Hi, deaest idol love

Does your cheerful " haha Very Happy " ....possibly mean, you´ll really attend WKW on the red carpet in Berlin ? Laughing - GREAT !!! Dancing ....the definitely highlight for the BERLINALE Applause sunny

Will try my very very best, to overcome all obstacles rambo .....to join Tin-Yau....to cheer you ! Waving cheers Applause

Hopefully Helga In Love
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject:

Safran wrote:
Does your cheerful " haha Very Happy " ....possibly mean, you´ll really attend WKW on the red carpet in Berlin ? Laughing - GREAT !!! Dancing ....the definitely highlight for the BERLINALE Applause sunny

Helga, I`m pretty sure it means: Yes we can!
Or: Obstacles are there to be overcome.
Wink

And Tony, thanks a lot for the "haha", I guess it was the perfect motivation for Helga! thumbright

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject:

Laughing ..... Embarassed
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject:

Safran wrote:
Laughing ..... Embarassed

Did I say something wrong? Confused

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject:

No , no....do not worry Wink
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject:

hahaha ............ Very Happy
Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject:

Laughing I can't believe you girls have this dropping right into your lap! It's so exciting! Have a super time! (And tell us all about it, later!) Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject:

In process !...... Very Happy .....haha Wink Waving
Benz Pawraphi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject:

The grandmaster wil Promotion in hongkong? and when? Rolling Eyes
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: