TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

"Happy Together": 1997 <=> now

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: "Happy Together": 1997 <=> now

It´s nothing current... but I just found this interesting blog - directly comparing the quality-differences of "HT" original 1997 version and remastered 2009 version. (regarding books ... and "HT"-BlueRay click second link and scroll down)

http://wong-kar-wais-love-odysseys.blogspot.co.at/2010/04/happy-together-1997-today.html

http://wong-kar-wais-love-odysseys.blogspot.co.at/

Hope you´ll be able to open the links Wink
Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject:

I much prefer the remastered edition of HT. The original is so dark you can't even see the actors' faces, at times, so reactions by them are lost. Also, the story, itself, is so depressing, that the dark, murky original look gives the film an almost overwhelmingly oppressive hopelessness that is almost unbearable to watch. If not for the re-master, I doubt I could've sat through the whole film, and what a loss to me that would've been, as I dearly love HT. WKW's re-master gives the audience a breather from the sadness, which is more than effectively conveyed by Tony and Leslie. They didn't need any help by other means. (And besides that, the remaster is absolutely GORGEOUS to look at!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject:

The remastered edition looks great but I prefer the original print.
To me the remastered print changes the tone of the movie. Take for example that lighthouse screen cap. In the original it's overcast, grey skies and feels depressing, cold, perhaps reflecting the character's inner turmoil at that point of the movie. Yet when I look at the remastered screen cap, it's bright and colourful, like a painting. I find that the darkness that almost obscures the character's facial expressions is like an insight into their mind and how they see the world at that moment.

I have only seen the original print on DVD so I can't really judge properly till I watch the remastered version.
Which would be closer to what was seen in Cinemas?
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject:

I simply love it......as it is...... Very Happy ( In my opinion "perfect" ....on my original version DVD Wink ...and definitely one of my Tony-favourits ! )
Nevertheless I would like to watch/compare it with the remastered version....and/or watch it on the big screen - of course Wink
Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Probably, whichever way a viewer saw the movie when, they fell in love with it, is the version they prefer. I saw the remastered version first. When I rented the movie the second time it was the original version. I was so mad, I couldn't see Tony and Leslie's expressions. Entire moments of badly needed humor were lost, because the darkness obscured their faces. I guess I don't care about a movie from an over-all perspective. I still watch a movie from the perspective of an acting student, trying to learn from her masters. It's all about the acting for me. I get irritated when reviews of WKW's films are so often neglectful, or even rather dismissive of Tony's efforts. For me, great acting is everything. If the rest of the film is great, then that's just icing on the cake. "Happy Together," fortunately, is really delicious. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Oh, by the way, the screencaptures I made from "Happy Together" are from the remastered version, so they can give you an idea of how the film looks remastered.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the friendly tip to watch the remastered screenshots, Jamaica - I already did Wink and admire your efforts. Doubtlessly the remastered quality is better....the colours are brighter.....indeed Smile
Maybe you unfortunately watched a very damaged copy of the original ? I had/have no problems to recognise the actor´s expressions ....resp. in my opinion this kind of diffuse/foggy darkness perfectly reflects the mental state and inner conflicts of the characters...like the deliberately shot b&w sequences also.
BTW: "Ashes of Time" ....and "Ashes of Time Redux".....I really like and enjoy both versions.....nonetheless the "Original" grew dearer to my heart Wink
Seems different eyes and hearts watch a movie different Laughing fortunately !
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: