TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Tony Leung to Take a Break from Working with WKW

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Tony Leung to Take a Break from Working with WKW

Tony Leung to take a break from working with Wong Kar-wai

January 14th, 2012 § 0 comments

From DBW: (wongkarwai.net)

At a press conference for THE GREAT MAGICIAN (DAI MOR SHOOK SI), actor Tony Leung revealed that he was taking a break from working with director Wong Kar-wai. Leung has been working on Wong Kar-wai’s THE GRANDMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) for over two years. For the role he has given a lot and was even injured on the production. He admitted that he would not work with Wong Kar-wai again for awhile.
THE GREAT MAGICIAN director Derek Yee Tung Sing revealed that Tony Leung once said that he would make five more movies then retire, but Leung denied that.
“I hope that my entire life is in acting, to have work at every stage.” Leung said that he would like more chances to make comedies. As soon as he said that people in attendance assumed this meant that he did not want to work with Wong Kar-wai who rarely made comedy films.
He said, “I just finished Wong Kar-wai’s movie, both of us are very tired and need a long time to recover. Maybe it will be a long, long while before we work together again. No one should be too concerned about me working with him, for now we wouldn’t.”
THE GRANDMASTERS is scheduled to be released in theaters in Summer/Autumn 2012 in China.

http://entertainment.dbw.cn/system/2012/01/09/053628545.shtml

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject:

It sounds like TL's latest collaboration with WKW has left a sort of bad taste in his mouth. But then again, that one would not work with a director again for a while - after having just spent over two grueling years with that director- is an 'industry-standard' announcement and sentiment for any actor.

TL and WKW did "2046" about eight years ago- indeed we aren't going to see them teaming-up again in a "long, long while". Sad

Thanks Jamaica
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject:

I guess the wish for a break/pause is no wonder ....after such a longterm project under well known difficult "Cool WKW-conditions" Wink
I really hope this will not be the last cooperation of this congenial duo/dreamteam Pray .....but seems so, we have to wait a couple of years Crying or Very sad

Helga
Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Heck, they were filming "2046," on and off, over five years... of course, Tony wasn't required to do kung-fu during that time....

Hope Wong Kar Wai isn't opposed to doing films about middle-aged folks, otherwise, I fear at this point, that he'll begin giving the lead roles to Chang Chen, Takuya Kimura, etc.... Nothing against those guys, I'm very fond of them, but Tony is great, and I want to see him continue to work over the years, as long as he wants to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject:

I really want to see TL and WKW continue their collaboration in the years to come.

Should WKW opt to look elsewhere, I don't think he could find an actor of TL's caliber to suit his formula. Well, perhaps Liu Ye... but definitely not Chang and Kimura... Razz

At this point in their careers, I could imagine the two of them making films about "middle-aged folks" a la Hitchcock and Stewart (or Cotten, my fav American actor).
It's funny that TL seems to think he's not getting any younger as far as film roles go. Well, he 's not quite "On Golden Pond" old yet. Laughing
Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject:

Hey Joe, just saw my first Liu Ye performance. Holy cow, you're not kiddin,' that kid has chops! I took a look at his filmography, and realized that for months, I've had some of his films in my Netflix queue, but just hadn't seen any of them, yet. Now I'm hoping WKW, someday, finds a reason to put Tony and Ye together in a film - a story about brothers... something.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Hi Jamaica,

I'm glad you like Liu Ye. I really think he is the heir apparent.
Yep, the master...and the Ang Lee's would be wise to cast the king and prince of Chinese films together in the very near future.
Your suggestion sounds exciting- if not brothers, perhaps rivals over the same woman...or something. Just put them together in a film. I couldn't care less if they did an "Ishtar" Razz
Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject:

"Heir apparent" is exactly what I was thinking, too. It would be a colossal mistake for someone to not put them together in a film.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: