TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Hello To New Fans.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Hello To New Fans.

Hello

I would just like to say hello and welcome to Jamaica, yitian, redfox and Zeefje. I've been catching up on your posts and it's been great reading your views and getting to know a little about you. You have all added so much to the forum I am glad we can share in our admiration for the best actor in the world, enjoy your time in the best forum in the world.

Best wishes...mary
Zeefje

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject:

Dear Mary,

It's good to hear from you, and thank you for welcoming us new fans to this forum. It is the best forum in the world, otherwise I wouldn't have joined it. The members who are posting here regularly are keeping up a high standard of being respectful in their writing, to eachother and to our mutual subject here who is a big star, the best actor in the world but also a fine person...
I would like to contribute to the forum in the same way...

Finding out what this forum is all about was a great joy to me in the past couple of months..being a total novice to Asian cinema in general and Tony in particular...I became a dedicated fan of his acting skills through this forum, the links to his films, pics articles and reviews...a great and sincere resource for further studying...I had to dig through almost ten years of material until the present...like everybody here I'm awaiting his new films
impatiently...but also for Tony to return to this forum in person...

Let's practice together what I learned from him in his film Chinese Odyssey
2002: if you're deeply longing for a person to return to you, concentrate on him to the extend that your body becomes numb, your eyelids won't close and you'll probably need to call for a doctor! We will succeed eventually
If so...I will run to my local Chinese restaurant to celebrate....

Love, Zeefje
Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject:

Thank you, for the kind welcome to us, Mary. Hope we'll all form a great bond, out of our mutual admiration and respect for Tony, and the fine work he does!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject:

Dear Mary,

Thank you for your warm welcoming notes. For a long time, I enjoyed just surfing in this wonderful website and appreciated comments posted by Tony's enthusiastic international fans. Now I am happy to become part of this family, exchanging news, thoughts, etc...

I must say I really admire Tony's devotion to WKW's new movie. More then two years of drought of any new movie from Tony seems an eternity to me now. Hope 2012 will be a good year.

I think I need more patience.

Last edited by yitian on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:39 am; edited 2 times in total
redfox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject:

Hi Mary, thank you for your warm welcome! I was so glad when discovered this place. I'm still happily digging through the old posts, reviews.

I first saw Tony in Hard Boiled on the TV some years ago, without understanding Cantonese (no subtitle) I kept watching the movie til the end. I was a kid and it's really really an impressive movie. However I couldn't find out the movie's title and actors, and was still wondering whether the undercover cop died at the end or not Rolling Eyes .

Then I had the internet, and I got to know about our Tony Leung. Honestly before Tony I was fascinated of Chow Yun Fat's and Jet Li's action movies. But now, in my opinion, Tony is the finest HK actor absolutely Embarassed. I'm conquered by his intense acting and his eyes too, of course.

How about you guys? How was your first experience with Tony? I've learned that Zeefje's first movie was Lust, Caution. And others may have shared this somewhere in the forum. But it's always so interesting to know... can you talk a little bit about your feelings when you started becoming Tony's fan? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Awww, redfox, don't be embarrassed to admit liking Chow Yun Fat and Jet Li. They are very special, gifted guys. Yun-Fat is a fantastic actor. I remember being so knocked out by him in "Anna and the King" - what a presence (!) and so emotionally effective. I remember how I found myself reacting to him, much as Anna did - from anger, to fear, to love, and that was all from his effective performance. It was because of Yun-Fat that I rented "Hard Boiled," but when I saw it, it was "Helloooo, Tony!" Lol!

And then Jet Li gave me my very first exposure to Tony with "Hero," and Jet did very well playing a fellow who, very carefully, had to keep from showing his cards. From seeing most, if not all of his films, it looks like he's smart enough to know that, when in doubt - in an acting situation, it's probably better to under-act, than over-act. He gave wonderful performances in "The Warlords," and "Ocean Heaven." He is incredibly effective for a guy who trained nearly all his early life as an athlete, rather than actor. (If you ask me, it's kind of sickening that one who is so talented, in the martial arts, should also be a pretty good actor - Not fair! Lol! Donnie Yen, too, has developed a nice ability to be natural, along with his phenomenal kung-fu skills. Of course, they aren't on the same level as Tony and Chow Yun Fat, but.... their acting is probably considerably better than mine. Lol!)

Anyway, it was really "Hard Boiled" that sold me, completely, on Tony - so many facets shown, appropriate for his circumstances - so much conflict, and interesting contradictions, and then his chemistry with Yun-Fat was electric. I worried about his character, as the movie went through its climax. I thought, "He's been through so much, please don't let him die! It wouldn't be fair!" After that, I had to see everything Tony's done in film!

"2046" is my favorite film, in regards to Tony's work. It was one of those performances where an actor is almost unrecognizable, simply because the power of his belief, in his character, is so strong, and his conception of the character is so certain to himself. No wonder people threw around the Clark Gable comparisons - he seemed like such a big man, and so at ease with himself, so in control, "master of his destiny." He was a force of nature. He was also a mask, and underneath, was "In the Mood's..." little Mr. Chow - hurt, defiantly holding up that mask to the world. Every once in a while, the mask would slip, caused by a slap to his face, or a cutting remark that hit the old Mr. Chow in the heart, and you would see him for a brief instant. Those moments could be heartbreaking, and yet there were times when you, as an audience member, would've happily smacked his face, as Ziyi Zhang did early in the film. What an astounding performance! It left me reeling. He stands shoulder to shoulder with the best actors in the world, and yet I didn't know of him until about a year ago. What an embarrassment!

Anyway, back to redfox, I would think an actor would find it complimentary to know that fans recognize, and appreciate, the talent of other actors, as well. It makes the fans' admiration for their work more objective. (But then again, that's just my take on it.)

OK I'll stop rambling. Shut up, Jamaica! Geez!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject:

I always feel difficult to write about my reasons why I’m a Tony fan, maybe this is because I can’t really pin point a specific movie that completely turned my attention to Tony like lots of his other fans do.

I’ve known THE name for donkey’s years as he’s been famous for so long - he can’t escape media’s huge attention. I probably watched quite few movies and never paid much attention to his great performances. However, there must be something in Tony’s movies to attract me watching them over and over. I must say that I am not particularly found of subtitles, I find reading such distracts my attention to subtle performances a lot. No wonder I watched each of Tony’s movies multiple times. If I can only pick 5, my most favorite TL movies are 2046, Lust/Caution, Infernal Affairs (1st one), Hero and Chinese Odyssey 2002. But, there are at least 2 dozens or so of others (movies + TVs) I really enjoy watching.

Gradually, my fanfare grows stronger and stronger every time after I watch a TL movie. Plus, I read all kinds of news, interviews etc. about Tony. No doubt he’s one of the best actors (if not THE BEST) in the world. But to me, he also has a great personality – kind, considerate and low key, to name a few – extreme rare and precious in people with his fame. This is more important a reason for me to really like a person. One example, in the attached photo below, Tony was saying to the photographer (probably a paparazzi who bothers him a lot) to mind cars from behind. I was so moved when I saw this photo.

By the way, just like Tony’s speaking voice, I love his songs too - very soothing, sexy and full of emotions. Does anybody agree? I listen to them (about 100 of them or so, and I’m still missing one album in my collection) almost everyday. Too bad he doesn’t sing anymore. One day I’m going to master Cantonese so I don’t have to be tortured by subtitles or some very poor dubbing voices.

Last edited by yitian on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Zeefje

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Dear Yitian,

I am so moved by your personal story. you ask if anybody agrees. I think you expressed my feelings about Tony very well too.
Even though I just started my collections of Tony's films and songs I can give my personal top 5 films: Chinese Odyssey 2002; ITMFL; Love Caution: Infernal Affairs; Chinese Ghost Story IIi. I've seen many more by now, some more than once and I too have an interest in learning (at least some) Cantonese.

Although your picture is not visible to me I like the discription about Tony, being so kind to the photographer telling him to be careful...makes me smile all over.....

Kind regards,

Zeefje
yitian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject:

Oops, sorry Zeefje. It seems that I always have trouble to post photos from some websites. I can see it from my computer but not from my cell phone. Wonder if there is a way to post using files stored in my computer directly? Anyway, I'll try to find this photo from another weblink and post it again. Wish me luck.
Cheers.
yitian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject:

I think I fixed the link of that photo. Triumph! Very Happy
I like this photo as is. Hope you can see it now Zeefje.
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Thank you so much yitian - now you managed Wink - very nice ! Smile
In The Mood For Leung

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Thanks yitian for that photo.

That was very nice, to say the least, of TL to alert the paparazza.

That was so un-Sean Penn-esque. Smile One reason why TL is my idol and not some Hollywood hothead...
Zeefje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject:

Awesome pic Yitian! Yes, I can see it and appreciate it......thank you!

Regards,

 Zeefje
Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Yes, Yitian! Tony does have a wonderful speaking voice - great tool for an actor to have. He's definitely made me fall in love with the Cantonese dialect. Like you, I've been trying to pick up all I can between films, online Cantonese dictionaries, and Cantonese phrase books. Great fun! I recently bought Tony's "Wind & Sand" cd and get a real kick out of it. I think it's a shame that he doesn't do a little recording, still, every now and then. He's just as good a singer, as most of the other people in the Hong Kong industry, who have put out recordings, and it's always nice to see what other talents a creative person has. I do understand his reasons, though. Training your voice, keeping it trained, and keeping it healthy is practically a full-time job, if you want to perform to the very best of your ability. He'd have to find the time to squeeze some acting in there some time!

And yes, how could any fan of Tony's not appreciate the level-headedness he's maintained, after a couple of decades of fame; and it's amazing the lengths he goes to in order to connect with fans. It's virtually unheard of in America. He's got a big heart. It makes him easy to love. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Jamaica for your deep thoughts. I just noticed your website on Youtube - had a lots of fun going through the list. Well done. Cool
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: