TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

My Review of Chinese Odyssey 2002
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeefje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject:

I overlooked you posting yitian, getting another DVDPlayer is a good suggestion. Anything to get Tony on screen...Bigger than Ipad!!

Thanxx, Zeefje
In The Mood For Leung

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Zeefje wrote:
Hi ITMFL,
Amazon in the States you mean? I'll try again, but I live in a different zone for DVD. Zone free will be fine...
Thanks, you're very kind to reply...

Zeefje

I had issues with regions before, not being able to avail of the dvds I wanted and passing on very good deals because they were region 3 . Solution: a region free player (they are not all that expensive). I can also play region 3 in my Mac book.
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject:

hahaha - wish you luck !
Zeefje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject:

My luck is coming my way...from a Belgium seller (no language difficulties) and the German seller as well. two versions, one with Dutch subtiles. Vielen Dank für Ihre Unterstützung Helga

Zeefje
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject:

Wished you "luck" only Wink You managed by yourself - Congratulations Smile
BTW: I guess as Tony-fellow-fans we can use "du" ; )

Viel Spaß !
Helga
Zeefje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject:

Dear fellow fans,

Now that i'm a pround owner of the Mei AH version of CO 2002 as well as the Kino release, I can tell the differences between the two very well.
And I must say Kino has some scenes cut that make it poor, as the duet with Faye and Tony with his egg shelled glasses, but there also a few scenes added, I've never read about anywhere. First of all, when Tony is on the balcony having telepatic contact with his sister, he first views his so called friends from above wondering how they could have stayed so naive, while he moved on (overestimating his own character as we learn later on in the movie). Secondly when Tony is taking his turn playing a woman, this version doesn't change scene to the bedroom right away. While sister and the princess are waiting for him to reappear, they go searching for him to find him flat on his back in women's clothing, while suddenly he sits up yelling for another drink. This addition is useful, because in the original it remains unclear why Tony runs into the house the following morning being called a drag for this scene is too short to be fully appreciated, you never get clear shot of Tony dressed as a woman.. On the other hand, Kino doesn't mention what is going on under the blancket, just covers with music.
A third addition is a prolonged scene that explains how and by whom the
magistrate's son was bitten in his ear. Not a great extra if you ask me.
Flashbacks are in monocolor in the Kino version. And last but not least: in the Kino version the kissing scene under the peachblossom tree is much longer, there seems to be no ending to it.

Cut out were furthermore Amour Amour's citation of the monkey king and the princess' thinking how to avoid the breaking glass. Clearly the Kino version was released to the taste of the west, underestimating true fans by doing so. They made a terrible mistake. But it was fun finding the differences...

I found my Mei Ah copy on line on a French site for Asian film lovers in case you're interested. Excellent and very quick delivery. Still looking for the
soundtrack though, it is mentioned by several downloadsites, but I won't risk high costs on lifetime memberships. Anyone who can help?

Many thanks for your attention,

Zeefje
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject:

Thank you very much Zeefje - for this very interesting comparison (I even did not know from existence Embarassed who knows if there are still another different versions ?)
(3 songs I´ve got in mp3 - if you like Wink )
Helga
Zeefje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Safran, that would be wonderful...I'll Send you a private message...
I'm becoming an expert, there's so much more to this film than you can see in one instance.

I got yet another insight this afternoon and realised at once why the prolonged scene with the magistrates son is useful to understand the Mei Ah version at this point. The imperial guards beat him up to get arrested in order to protect the princess.. In the Mei Ah version, there is just a remark about getting arrested, next shot they're all in court....hard to believe....unless you're used to watch Wong Kar Wai-films where leaving out material sharpens the mind and senses. Besides that, I've found a second "Python"like moment ..anyone who has watched The Life of Brian will know exactly what I mean. On the question of the fake judge who beat up the magistrate's son, all guards confess at the same time..yelling it out lound...

And yes, who knows whether there are more and different releases. I suspect my Kino with Dutch subtitles version to have the Ladies back rubbing scene cut out, but I can't remember well. If that feeling is true I have found a third version.

But if so, why aren't there any loose scenes to be found on the internet? I would love to see alternative endings...there is just one promotional trailer with some very funny moments between Faye and Tony rehearsing choreography and a recording session. There must be much more material.
I love this film, it gives me energy..My hubby thinks I'm crazy...

Kind regards,
Zeefje
Zeefje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject:

My very special and rare CO 2002 soundtrack, was delivered today from Hong Kong. Unfortunately I wasn't at home. Off to the postoffice first thing tomorrow...well, after having breakfast and getting dressed that is.....

It was kept sealed as new for all these years so it'll be almost a sin to open it. I'll be very careful, not ruining its beautiful appearance, but hey, I bought it to listen didn't I!

A very happy Zeefje
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject:

cheers Have much fun and enjoy, happy Zeefje ! Very Happy

My ordered CO 2002 from amazon/GB - didn´t arrive yet - though they posted it last week already ! Rolling Eyes
Zeefje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject:

Hi Safran,
Just listening it for the first time right now...hmmmmmmm, I'm sure hubby will go crazy....la la la, la lalala la....haha!

We have a saying: "wat je van ver haalt is lekker" which means as much as: what you get from afar, is delicious.....my first Hong Kong parcel.....carefully packed. and the sending costs almost nothing. 3 US dollar! Airmail, would you believe it?! What would we pay in Europe...? 9 euro?

With love from Hong Kong......Tony and Faye in stereo..

Hope your DVD will arrive soon...

Best regards,

Zeefje

Goosepimples right now...under the Peach blossom tree.....
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject:

Hi again Zeefje !

Laaa lalala lalaaaa....... in stereooooooo ..... Very Happy Musical Super !
My hubby departed for Salzburg - till Sunday......and I´ll begin my "Tony-Film-Festival" (Tony-Oldies, I bought in HK) right now ! haha

This evening/night: "Hero - Beyond The Borderies Of Time", "The Eagle Shooting Heroes" and if I manage "Three Summers".....Would be nice to share with fellow fans and friends ....to discuss.....Wink

So let´s enjoy an evening with our Idol ! In Love
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject:

"Because of technical problems, the "Tony-Festival" had to be cancelled" - UNFORTUNATELY ! Crying or Very sad
Zeefje

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject:

What is your problem dear Safran, you need a universal player first?

Three summers, ah Tony with baby fat!....I saw the pics in the old pics topic, if I'm correct, and a fragment on You tube...that will mean searching the internet in it's deepest outskirts for me before to be able to commend on it.

Eagles shooting Heroes on You Tube has very poor quality....to me the film is hilarious beyond comprehension...Yesterday I found a clip of a song from the film with English subtitles based on the Chinese sounds not a translation...it's very funny...
I like CO 2002 better because of it's gentle pace...and I don't agree with many reviews CO lacks humour...to subtle with wkw influence perhaps.

Whish you luck with your Tony festival, I hope it's just postponed, not cancelled!

Love, Zeefje
Zeefje

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject:

by the way, a picture of my CD while in tact... with thank to Hamberger for his great support...

Zeefje

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: