TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Which is the Greatest city for you ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Dear Jenny and Suellen !

Not important at all - but I only wanted to tell you something about "Arnold": (Perhaps you are less angry then)
As you might know, he is no born American - but was a quite simple, bodybuilding Austrian boy (not very handsome but with muscles and very strong will ) - a lousy actor with strong accent......till he became Hollywood´s "Terminator" , married a girl from Kennedy-Clan...........and -at least- became California´s Govenor !!!! A career called: "The American Dream " ---no more comment---
But I also wonder why he could be so important for Canada ???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just heard in TV about this tragic deadly accident on toboggan run !

A big tragedy for this young sportsman and his family - and a dark shadow for all athleths, organisators and people, who were looking forward to celebrate happy Olympic Games since many months and years...... so very sad for all.
(How will the IOC and organizers react now - only a short time to the Opening Ceremony ? (millions of people are waiting for )
Difficult to find the right solution, a way to celebrate the Opening with dignity.

Sad Greetings
Helga
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject:

Hello again -

Congratulations Vancouver for this beautiful Opening - well done !!!!!

- I felt the breakdown of the 4 th torch like a fateful symbol - under this circumstances.

Today in the evenig I´ll keep my fingers crossed for our male downhillers !

Hope for "Good(better) Luck" for the further Games
Helga
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject:

Oh the embarrassment. I hope Canada can live this one down. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject:

Dear Suellen,
to know where the border between the US and Canada is, you have to think this: we share the same language, television programmes and cinema, with all the violence involvede in these things. Even so, we don't have deathly episodes of violence in our schools and on the streets.
That's the only border that truly matters!!!!

Dear Helga,
nobody even dreamed of tobogans and snowmen, but some snowballs fights was enjoyed by teenagers and children.
It was nothing short of a miracle!!!

Just think that today it's 15°C, the sky is blue and I had a nice walk in the centre with hub, no scarves and bulky overcoat needed.

About sicilian descriptions (yes, those are the places of my youth), well, every forum member brings something to the forum. Stories, recipe and some good humour is what I can share, hoping to entertain you and the others. Very Happy

Bye
A Kiss
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
mary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Hi Eri

Thank you for the article, I enjoyed reading about all those wonderful cities. So far the only asian place I've visited is Hong Kong a true adventure a holiday of a lifetime. I have very happy memories never to be forgotten. It goes to the top of my list the only downside for me was the heat. The culture and people so different but I learned so much from everyone I met.

Of my European holidays I loved Rome - wow- what a city great buildings great food great people.

Paris was interesting the city older and more world weary than I imagined, parts a little run down. Lovely to visit for the cafe culture to watch everyone go by, the people have such a classic sense of style. The food a little over rated but that's just my opinion.

Amsterdam loved the culture, museums and canals. A very easy city to navigate.

Stockholm a very cosmopolitan city. Clean. tidy and crisp lovely old town to visit also plenty of art galleries and museums to see. For me an interesting insight into a scandanavian country would love to explore more.

Cologne great christmas markets. Fond memories of a snowy day or two in front of the big cathedral drinking mulled wine and eating my way round all the market stalls.

Seville first time enjoying proper tapas. Great city for spanish cafe culture.

London a city I love. Yes the food not the greatest in the world the shopping not the greatest in the world but it has a charm all of it's own. Travel out of the main city centre and see places such as Hampstead, Highgate, Camden and Notting Hill.
The Chinatown is quite small but plenty of eating places and quite inexpensive so it's worth visitng. I've been to it a couple of times and there's always been a buzz to the place.

New York the city that never sleeps and the place to see people from every culture in the world. New Yorkers don't have to leave as everyone comes to them. Chinatown there was dissappointing smaller than I imagined and I suppose by now everyone is third or maybe fourth generation chinese. American food not impressive more big in quantity than quality. Eating in places like Little Italy more rewarding. I would tell everyone to visit New York once it's an experience.

Cracow an historic city with beautiful buildings. Still a sense of sorrow from the conflict of war, to me a must see city.

Sorry I've droned on and on. I've been lucky to see other places but those are my favourites and there are still so many I want to see it's such a big world out there...best wishes...mary.
mary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject:

To Jenny, Suellen and all Canadian fellow fans

Enjoy the winter olympics.
Impressive opening ceremony
Vancouver looks lovely.

I've never been to Canada but I have relations who lived in Toronto for some years before returning back home. They loved Canada and the people and still miss it to this day. They used to tell us stories about how cold the winters got with temperatures so low my relations beard would freeze. I suppose Vancouver is even colder...best wishes...mary.

I was so sorry to hear about the tragic accident my heart goes out to the athletes family and friends.
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject:

Sorry, I forgot to reply to earlier comments.

Yuka,
The depachika is awesome. I love going around sampling food. Their cakes have less sugar, so I always make the mistake of eating too many! Plus they give you dry ice to take home with you.
Fans mobbed poor Sakurai at the airport. 80 fans showed up!! I hope it doesn't reflect too poorly on us.

Eri
Chinatowns are always interesting to visit (aside from my own of course in Toronto). The atmospheres are always very different, so you never know what to expect.

Helga
Looking forward to Olympics very much. The opening ceremony was a little slow at parts, but I thought they did a really good job representing Canada. (Not all polar bears and igloos).
Who is this Torchenator guy? What was he doing in Vancouver?

Kat
Thanks for the best wishes for Canada. I hope the games will reflect highly of us! The streets were ecstatic when the Great One (Mr. Gretzky) was making his way to the torch lighting.

Suellen
We clinched it! First Gold on home soil!!!
Oh...hehehe, the newscaster is not important. Have you been going to any theaters to watch the broadcast on big screen? I'm interested in the hockey games. Poor Slovakia, Canadian Women's team hammered them 18-0.

Mary
Thanks for the wishes! I hope Canada does well in the Olympics as the host country!
Zeefje

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject:

Dear fellow fans,

I feel a bit hesitant to revive older topics on this board, this one ending with the Winter Olympics. It started very differently though, about favorite cities. Being new to this board, everything you have written here is of interest to me, so I hope you will forgive me that I 'm not ready yet to start topics of my own.
Favorite cities then, what strikes me first is that there are so many experienced travellers among us. Since I haven't travelled in asia yet, I can only dream of it. I"ve seen quite a lot around Europe though. This year we were planning for Tokyo, but sadly family circumstances and the earthquake made us postpone our plans. Don't worry it's still on my list. Yesterday evening we booked a trip to Capetown South Africa after Christmas. So that will be at least be new continent for me. Like Tony I'm not looking forward to long distance flights, getting new experiences while still able to is what motivates me...
This summer we were in Italy, a sort of homecoming, since we travel there every year for twenty something years now. My favorite city is Venice, off the touristic routes you can find yourselves in a different era..the light over the laguna looking towards San Marco is so astonishingly alike the light captured by so many Italian masters in their paintings. On our way home we frequently stay in Como (silk industry), right to the Swiss border. If you like shopping and don't have too much time don't bother to go to Milan, Como has it all. But for a wider range of products, don't miss Milan. Rome is not to miss either. Living in the second biggest city of the Netherlands, I feel at ease in Rome..
Nearer to where I live, is Paris, we can go there by highspeed trains nowadays and be back home the same day. Very appealing, but never tried because we're both very busy working. I guess the European travelscale made us lazy finding new horizons. I hope to catch up everthing I've missed so far and make my Asian dreams come true very soon...

There's much more to tell, for examle about my own country...may be that will be my first random thoughts topic...

love to you all,

Zeefje
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: