TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

My Review of Chinese Odyssey 2002
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: My Review of Chinese Odyssey 2002

I just watched this film last night and thought it was hilarious. Tony was the real scene stealer of the movie for me. Also I wondered is the song that appears first about 15 minutes in sung by Tony and Faye Wong? It sounds like them to me. Here's the review I've written.

Chinese Odyssey 2002

A side splitting comic romp, directed by Jeff Lau and produced by Wong Kar-Wai. Li Yilong (Tony Leung) is a village thug, better known by the locals as "King Bully", who is desperate to find a husband for his sister Phoenix (Zhao Wei). One day, Yilong has a chance encounter with Princess Wushuang (Faye Wong), who has escaped from the Palace, disguised as a man. Naturally, he instantly thinks she is the perfect "man" for his sister. Utter chaos ensues, when Phoenix later falls for the Princess' brother, Emperor Zheng De (Chang Chen) and Wushuang becomes attracted to Yilong. This film is in many ways a Chinese take on the Viola/Orsino/Olivia relationship in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. Chinese Odyssey 2002 is one of the most absurd comedies ever made, with endless laugh out loud moments including Yilong and the Princess buried up to their necks in quicksand; their over the top fake kissing; the Emperor in an Afro wig and Yilong's hair looking a complete fright, after he's struck by lightning! The entire cast throw themselves wholeheartedly into the sheer ridiculousness of it all and appear to be enjoying themselves enormously. The handsome Mr. Leung is on fine comic form (even appearing in a dress in one scene!) and Wong is equally hilarious. Zhao and Chang are somewhat sidelined, but make the best of what they've been given. The screenplay begins to falter slightly, towards the film's conclusion, but I still highly recommend it for the sheer fun factor!

Eve's Rating: 4/5
Info

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject:

Yes, all the songs were sung by Tony and Faye themselves.
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject:

Thank you for your response, Info. I had a strong feeling that it was them singing as well.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject:

Hi,
I've found Chinese Odyssey 2002 extremely interesting because of the cinematographic language used, an icastic one. The film proceeds for images, and there is a funny situation after another. I laughed from the beginning to the end. There are no bad words or foecal humour, no visceral sounds to create fun. Unforgettable: the "moviola (don't know the english name, it's something to replay the faults in a game)" made with a designer hidden in a cubbyhole. But all the film has unforgettable comic ideas, well placed and timed. Yes, maybe in the second half it slows a bit, but I think that it is because the audience has to start following a new character, the Emperor's. I found it better than "Eagles Shooting Heroes" because this is more modern and contained. Style and action all over the place.
Absolutely a must see!
Kat
katwoman64

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject:

Hi,
wanted to add a thing or two. I think that this is a case of "crossover". I mean, the movie has a epic-wuxia-historic frame, but the language and the humour are modern. It doesn't use the traditonal excesses of films like "Eagles..." but still uses those same tricks and situations - just in a different way. Chinese Odyssey 2002 wrote a new - and so far unsurpassed - way to do a comedy.
Bye
Kat
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject:

I had a question about the version of this film that is on YouTube. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Yky4usjFxD0 Do the Cantonese and Mandarin versions of the movie differ in edit, as I don't remember the bit of Tony with boiled egg slices over his eyes in the version I saw? Confused
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject:

I've finally got this film on DVD today! The first copy I ordered from CdWow was out of stock for 6 weeks so I then cancelled it and reordered from Senasian. I can't wait to see it again, especially in Cantonese instead of the Mandarin version I first saw where Tony's voice wasn't used for his character! I plan on showing it to my Dad , Nan (who both enjoy silly comedies) and my friend Kathrine (who also likes Tony) when she comes home for Christmas. I'm sure they'll love it!
Zeefje

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Just finished watching this movie on line for the fifth or sixth time (in a month!). It was too difficult for me to follow the English subtitling and watch the quick change of Tony's facial expressions at the same time to fully understand in one instance, and my Cantonese is even worse..haha! I think he is unsurpassed playing this character.

I like the humorous quality of this film. Some scenes remind me of the best Monty Python films. One scene for example where Y Long
challenges the male population to marry his sis. They all volunteer, hoping to get rid of Bully which he is very much aware of...Has anyone ever come up with this comparison to Python? Anyhow, I would like to have this film on DVD, the unabridged version with Tony's voice. But it isn't available to purchase on line from where I live. Same goes for the soundtrack. I love those songs...
Any suggestions anyone?
In The Mood For Leung

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Hey Zeefje- do you mean you are unable to purchase from Amazon?
That's where I got some of my TL dvd's from. It looks like they still have CO 2002.
Zeefje

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Hi ITMFL,
Amazon in the States you mean? I'll try again, but I live in a different zone for DVD. Zone free will be fine...
Thanks, you're very kind to reply...

Zeefje
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject:

Hello José
If you do not get at "amazon", may I suggest "yesasia" - probably youŽll get it there (engl. subtitled)
HK- DVDŽs are most "for all regions". Wink (price-differences ? youŽll have to check)

http://www.yesasia.com/us/en/home.html (when I tried, it worked well)

Helga
cbnw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: My Review of Chinese Odyssey 2002

I too have recently tried to find the original DVD from Mei Ah with both Cantonese and Mandarin soundtracks (and Tony's real voice). It seems to be out of print.

The only version available (from Amazon, YesAsia, etc.) is the one distributed by KINO, in which Tony's voice is dubbed. Very disappointing.

I'll be delighted if anyone can contradict this!

cbnw
yitian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject:

Hi Zeefje

You may want to try Netfllx.com - they have many Tony's movies in high quality to be viewed online, as well as getting DVDs by mail for a small monthly fee (see link below. However, I'm not sure if it will work in Europe. There may be a Netflix equivalent in Europe).

http://www.netflix.com/Search?v1=Tony%20Leung%20Chiu%20Wai&oq=tony%20leung&ac_posn=1

PS, be careful with the movie issued by KINO - it claims to be in Cantonese with English subtitle, but my copy is actually in Mandarin (very disappointing). In addition, you may want to invest a Region-free DVD player like those made by Pineer if you like to watch DVDs from all over the world.

Good luck.
Zeefje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject:

Yesasia only sells the VS version region 1 Sad It won't play on my DVD-player and I don't know yet if Apple lets one switch between regions as Microsoft does (or did)....Amazon VS doesn't specify the product well enough to take the risk. So I'll try the UK stores on line...
Thank you fellow fans for your support, all of you....Like I stated elsewhere:
getting this film is an odyssey in itself....

Love,

Zeefje
Zeefje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject:

And another update: I found the DVD on Amazon.de. Now Holland and Germany are neighbours right?, But it can't be dispatched to Holland because there is a third party involved. So I have to contact the seller (who states to send to other European countries in his information) by e-mail. i just did in English. Writing in German would take me hours...fingers crossed.....this really is an Odyssey... Embarassed Helga wouldn't have any language problems I guess...hehe...

Love, Zeefje
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: