TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Hi!

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Hi!

Hi everybody! Just wanted to say hello. I'm Jamaica, from Lexington, KY. I'm a relatively new fan of Tony's, having only started watching his films, around the end of last year.

I'm a homemaker, who likes to sing, write, sketch, and play a little jazz cornet, on occasion. Many moons ago, I wanted to be an actor, having been seduced by the work of guys like Chris Walken (especially in "The Deer Hunter"), Al Pacino, Anthony Hopkins, and in particular, the granddaddy of them all, Robert Duvall, who in his 50 + year career has probably done more with the art of acting, in terms of chameleon-like ability, and realism, than should be possible. They gave me the inspiration, and guts, to take acting classes, and to audition. (No small feat, considering I probably fall under a psychiatrist's categorization as "agoraphobic." Laughing ) Ultimately, the acting didn't work out, I put too much pressure on myself, and could never relax enough to "let go" (easy in theory, much harder to do), but I still love to see great acting performances, and Tony has gotten me more excited about acting, than I've been, in ten years!

I first saw him in "Hero," while I was having a blast going through Jet Li's movies. (Jet is rather underrated, for one who is not really formally trained. He can display a very nice, natural ability for acting, when given careful guidance, and it can be a joy to watch him listening to another actor in the scene, because he'll listen with his heart, when he forgets himself.) But anyway, back to Tony, I could see in "Hero" why Tony's reputation, as a fine actor, was so strong, but I've always felt the substituted, dubbed-in Mandarin, took away from Tony's excellent work. Unlike the dubbed voice, Tony's has a steely firmness, that works in perfect counter to his vulnerability. Broken Sword would've come across as a stronger character, if Yimou had been able to use Tony's voice. Of course, I realize his Mandarin needed to be better... Nevertheless, when Broken Sword said, "I always wanted to go home with you," that broke my heart, and cemented Tony and Maggie as the heart and soul of "Hero." I wasn't completely won over, yet, but when I next saw "Hard Boiled," I knew I had to seek out his other work. When I saw "2046," I was astounded. I couldn't believe, as many years as I had followed actors, I'd never known Tony before 2010. His strongest works (like "2046," "Happy Together," "Lust, Caution") stand shoulder to shoulder with the best acting performances in the world. I feel so embarrassed I went so long without knowing of him. ("I'm unworthy, sifu!")

Anyway, thanks to Tony, once again, I'm constantly itching from this irritating bite from the acting bug, and unfortunately I don't have a friend with a Super 8 camera to help me scratch it! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject:

Hi Jamaica,

Welcome on board!
Hope u'll enjoy ur stay here. Very Happy

Cheers,
Cisca
Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Cisca!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Hello and welcome Jamaica Smile

Enjoy the forum and fandom.

Joe
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Welcome here in our Idolīs Forum, Jamaica Smile

"Once a Tony-fan - ever a Tony-fan" Wink

See you
Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject:

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject:

Safran wrote:
"Once a Tony-fan - ever a Tony-fan" Wink

That is sooooo true! Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Once a fan of any actor, I never stop being a fan. They never would've caught my attention, in the first place, if they weren't especially talented. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject:

Hello Pungyo !

Long time no see :( - Glad, you visit us here again ! : )
Pungyo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Hello again

Hello Safran,

I know, it's been waaaaay too long since I've visited Tony's forum. I miss all of you and boy, do I have some catching up to do! Tony has been a busy, busy man!

What prompted my visit was that I watched Infernal Affairs III again over the weekend. Those films were so excellent! And I haven't been to the theater in eons, so I thought it was time to reconnect and see what was happening.

Thanks for the welcome back!! Missed everyone!

cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject:

Hi Jamaica

Thanks for your great introduction. It was nice reading how you came to know of Tony and your honesty about your life.

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time here among friends who
all admire Tony Leung.

It's true once you find Tony you are always a fan.

Best wishes...mary
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: