TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Nobel Prize for Literature

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Nobel Prize for Literature

Some gossip for the bookworms among us Wink

According to an British betting-office, the favourite for this years Nobel Prize for Literature is the African Ngugi wa Thiong ó - followed by Cormac Mc Carthy AND Haruki Murakami !!! thumbright

Helga Waving

Edited :
Sorry - Was gossip !

- Mario Vargas Lliosa from Peru has got this famous prize.

and the Nobel Peace Prize goes to
- Liu Xiaobo, China ( who is in prison at the moment and has just got a prize from "PEN "- Centre Germany also )
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Nobel Prize for Literature

Safran wrote:
Some gossip for the bookworms among us Wink

According to an British betting-office, the favourite for this years Nobel Prize for Literature is the African Ngugi wa Thiong �- followed by Cormac Mc Carthy AND Haruki Murakami !!! thumbright

Helga Waving

Edited :
Sorry - Was gossip !

- Mario Vargas Lliosa from Peru has got this famous prize.

and the Nobel Peace Prize goes to
- Liu Xiaobo, China ( who is in prison at the moment and has just got a prize from "PEN "- Centre Germany also )

Hello Helga,

A lot of people in Japan (specially publishers and book shops) were hoping Mr.Murakami to be the one, but maybe he is still too young and not the first one in the line. Wink

About Mr.Liu, I've read that all the news concerning him has been banned in his country, and his wife is going tell him the news personally.
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject:

Hello Eri

The Jury of Nobel Prize is always very autarchic/independent in its decisions - and nobody exactly knows who and how they find the favourit and decide.
Maybe Mr. Murakami is still too "young" but on the other hand , some former winners are in the same age or younger.......???.

In my opinion the Jury more and more tries to reinforce/support courageous socia/political attitudes..... - "for a better world" in the last years - (especially in Literatur- and Nobel Peace Prize). Not so few people do criticize this tendence.
Though I hoped for Haruki Murakami also, whom I like very much, I think Mario Vargas Llosa doubtlessly deserves the prize -
(BTW they both totally differ from each other - and again: MVL is a very "political" writer!)
I recommend: "La Fiesta del Chivo" - (I did read in german) - very good - very bitter subject !

Hope you are well !
Dearly
Helga
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Safran wrote:
Hello Eri

The Jury of Nobel Prize is always very autarchic/independent in its decisions - and nobody exactly knows who and how they find the favourit and decide.
Maybe Mr. Murakami is still too "young" but on the other hand , some former winners are in the same age or younger.......???.

In my opinion the Jury more and more tries to reinforce/support courageous socia/political attitudes..... - "for a better world" in the last years - (especially in Literatur- and Nobel Peace Prize). Not so few people do criticize this tendence.
Though I hoped for Haruki Murakami also, whom I like very much, I think Mario Vargas Llosa doubtlessly deserves the prize -
(BTW they both totally differ from each other - and again: MVL is a very "political" writer!)
I recommend: "La Fiesta del Chivo" - (I did read in german) - very good - very bitter subject !

Hope you are well !
Dearly
Helga

Thank you Helga for the follow up information.

Mr. Murakami being too young is just a joke. (because some people have to wait very long time to receive this prize) Laughing

I haven't had a chance to read any book written by Mario Vargas Llosa, so I will try to read your recommended "La Fiesta del Chivo".

I guess Nobel Peace Prize's (and also probably Literature as well) are given to support the person who acts by non violence means for basic human rights, so more likely to be awarded to someone in the countries where ordinary people are facing this problem.
I am hoping this result is actually "for a better world". Very Happy
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: