TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

AN EDUCATION
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katwoman64

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: AN EDUCATION

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen

My daughter is now living and studying in Bristol. Her only complaint is about food. Few days ago she said that she had a casserole with vegetables and lamb meat. Unfortunately, the lamb meat stinked like crazy of sheep. It's a sort scent of wild. What, however, amazed her the most was that nobody, except her, noted it, or did any fuss about. She added: "They (her friends) seem like people that don't know how to write or read. They don't communicate with their own senses, that are our prime indicator if a food is good or not. In this, they don't show any preservation sense".

This is my recipe of Lamb Leg

You'll need: 1Kg, 1,5 Kg lamb leg. It will serve 4-6.
Cooking Time: 1 hour, 1 hour and 30 minutes

2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
A couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary
Extra Vergine Olive oil
a couple of laurel leaves
1/2 kg of onions
potatoes as you like
Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:
Begin by trimming fat and gristle from the leg of lamb, and then with a pointed knife cut several small, deep cuts in the skin. Crush (or put in the mixer) together garlic, finely cut bacon, ramery, salt and pepper and put bits of the resulting paste into the cuts. Drizzle some oil, salt and pepper on the whole leg and anoint it.

Cut in big, rough pieces the onion, put like a bed at the bottom of the oven container (with two spoonful of oil), then put the lamb leg on it and the leaves of laurel on top.

Put the leg in the heated oven (180°C) and let it go for about one hour.
At about half of the cooking add the potatoes cut in big pieces and seasoned with salt, black pepper, oil and ramery.

Hope you'll like it
Kisses
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
katwoman64

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject:

Helga my dear,
as usual you're right. It's not so easy to find polenta out of Italy. Maybe lamb is easier.
And you, Mol, reminded me of artichokes.
This is a nice Latium recipe, a true classic of the Romain cooking that puts together lamb and artichokes:

CORATELLA CON CARCIOFI
Stewed Innards with Artichokes

2 1/2 lbs. lamb (or kid goat) innards (heart, kidney, lungs, liver)
5 artichokes
1 onion
1/2 glass of dry white wine
broth
juyce of 1lemon
5 spoonful extra vergine olive oil
salt
pepper

Clean the artichokes, remove the leaves, beards, and slice the bottom. Cut them in big half moon pieces and blanch them putting them in water made acidic with the juyce of half lemon and set aside. Slice very finely the onion and make it stuve in a pot with water and 3 spoonful of olive oil.
When it becomes transparent drain the atrichokes and toss them with the onion. Sautè few minutes, add salt and pepper, wet them with a bit of broth and let them cook on a low burner for about thirty minutes til they are done. Separate the innards, lungs, liver and heart and wash them. Slice the liver and cut the other organs into chunks. In a pan sautè the chunks of lungs in 2 spoonful of oil; wet them with a bit of broth and after 15 min add the heart. Let them absorb taste, then wet with wine and cook another ten minutes. Now, add kidney and liver. When the innards are well browned and tender (about 5 mins), add the sliced artichoke bottoms. Cook for another 2-3 mins. Add salt, pepper, and sprinkle with the juice of a squeezed half lemon and serve immediately.

Wine Pairings
Marino DOC
Montecompatri Colonna DOC
Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG

Enjoy!
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
katwoman64

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject:

... Still on a very perfumed lamb:

Fried Lamb Rib-Chops
Costolette d'agnello fritte

Ingredients (remember that you need two per person)

8 lamb rib chops, frenched
2 eggs
1 cup plain flour
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 tsp salt
black pepper
2-3 cups extra vergine olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely cut
parsley finely cut
a handful of grated parmesan cheese
1 sprig rosemary
1 lemon

Recipe
Prepare the breadcrumbles seasoning them with garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and a handful of parmesan cheese. Done? Dig the chops into flour, then pass into the eggs whipped with a pinch of salt and one of pepper, then pass them into the bredcrumles and...
Put oil in a 10inch (20cm) diameter frying pan. Should be about 1/2inch (1cm) deep.
Heat oil to around 350F (175C)
... and lay them gently in oil. Do not overcrowd pan.
Fry chops for about three minutes per side, or until slightly darker than golden brown on the outside.
Before continuing, I should say that I shallow fry my chops instead of deep frying them as the secret of the ribs is not to overcook them. Shallow frying allows you to do the “poke-test” on them (poke the meat with your finger, if it feels soft, it’s rare or very rare, if it is firm, it’s well-done, you want it somewhere between. The trick is knowing when is enough.). Use poke test to determine done-ness. Pose them on a piece of paper to remove the excess oil.
Put on a warmed dish. Add, if needed, a sprinkle of salt. Serve well heated and decorated with slices of lemon and the whig of ramery.

They are great with Grilled Polenta, boiled Broccoli di Rape seasoned with oil and lemon or Eggplant cream and Balsamic Vinegar

Enjoy!
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
mary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Hi Mimma

Hope your daughter is doing well in Bristol. I'm sure she's enjoying English life but I suppose after all your wonderful Italian home cooking English food is a let down. Over the years it has got better but still doesn't compare to gourmet cooking in other countries.

Thanks for the recipes you make them sound so easy and interesting. My plain Irish/English cooking could do with a helping hand so I'm inspired to try your recipes. Lamb is my favourite meat dish usually served on special occasions. We can buy polenta here but I've never cooked it before so a couple more recipes for that would be welcomed if you have the time to post some more...best wishes...mary.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject:

Hi Mary,
Daughter is simply appalled from cooking. She says that what is in her dinners is often a mistery... She is fattening and feels intoxicated. The cooking is quite fat, and our livers are not up to the challenge. Add that we don't drink alcol, that maybe helps digesting some of the fat...

However what shocks her the most is that nobody seems to notice or to care. It is like they don't have "an education" about taste or patterns between different food.

A dinner of pizza and chips is THE cholesterol festival, and it would happen once in six months here! Then there is the problem of seasoning of raw and cooked vegetables. She can't have simple olive oil and fresh lemon or vinegar, no, she finds little containers of a brown liquid that she simply can't force herself to use. No, don't say it: we know it is safe, but we really can't use a nondescript brown thing on our salad.

When she did her interview in Cambridge we ate pretty well, really, and thought that nowadays there is good cooking also in England, or that the infamous english bad cooking was just that, a legend.

Our experience in Bristol was not so good. Even at Ikea the lunch you can have in every Ikea restaurant of the world was ill prepared, amazing, sort of a miracle.

My recipes are not a sophisticated sort, like the ones out of a chef kitchen, where there are one hundred underchef (translate: slaves).
They are the everyday type, the ones that italian women do often, at most on sundays. Nothing complicated, really.

Let alone polenta for now or do it just with the pressure pot if you have one. A chef would cry out in outrage for that technique, but I have just one arm and shoulder and I want to keep it working for the next years.

Have you tried your hand with potato gnocchi? They are a perfect substitute of polenta, and they are quite easy and fast to make.

Just to ease your mind I give a recipe now, on the winter side, that is the maximum of simplicity. Do you have one or two leftover sausage? Crumble it into the mixer and heat it. If you don't have it throw into a heated pan (the non stick type) the inner part of one or two sausages and let it cook crushing it with a fork till the fat will melt and the meat will be golden. In the meantime boil some short pasta, like rigatoni. Remember that if your pasta ends up being sticky it does mean that you didn't use enough water. You have to use plenty of it in a large pot to have a perfect pasta al dente.
Drain the pasta (keeping some of the broth), add the sausage, a small box of cream, a pinch of black pepper and mix it up. If it is too dry add few spoonful of the water of the pasta. The sauce has to be creamy. Put in the dishes and sprinkle on top few crumbled walnuts (it is good even without). Serve with some parmesan cheese to add, but believe me, right so is more than enough.
A nice salad would be an appropriete lunch or dinner end.

Enjoy!!!
Kiss
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject:

By the way,
Marghe came home for Christmas very puffy and went back to Uni being slimmed.
This is, notwithstanding the Christmas cakes, if intelligently patterned our cooking doesn't tend to fatten.

Kiss
M

Sadako Sasaki
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject:

If the food is bad maybe she should cook her own food. That way it's healthy and she knows what she's eating.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject:

Hi Paul.

The thread was not about Marghe's problem, just started from there to say what a common italian feels as normal, good homemade cooking.
Nothing fussy or too long, not a chef cooking. It wasn't a criticism to english cooking, more a reflection about nutritional education. Marghe's friends are international, not only british, and nobody seems to feel or care about what they put in their tummies. They eat, but they don't taste the food like we use to do.

Just simple tricks to make the everyday cooking a feast for all the senses, eyes, nose and, obviously, mouth, and and keeping eye on the different nutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins) mix and one on the scale.

About Marghe, she knows her way around a stove.
Unfortunately, she has just a microwave in her kitchen and it's forbidden to add an electric burner.

In the meantime she eats all the fruit she can buy, and, not wanting her to put herself on diet (she walks 7 km per day, she has to concentrate both during classes and afterwards), I adviced to buy her usual things for the breakfasts and a lot of Campbell soups for dinner.

I adviced her so that, three times a week she can eat scrambled eggs and sausages at breakfast AND she would have dinner by herself with these vegetables boiled in salt water with just few drops of olive oil added, and to have breakfast with her usual milk and biscuits (very italian) and dinner with her friends and the mistery casseroles the other three times. Alternating low chalories meals scheme.

This was the only temporary solution I came up with. Next year she will live closer to university and she will cook all her meals by herself.
I am just trying to do some damage control for now.

Thanks for your concern
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Unfortunately, she has just a microwave in her kitchen and it's forbidden to add an electric burner.

Ah! Microwave dinners are the worst.

Does she live with a host family? Or does she have to eat out all the time?
katwoman64

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject:

Hi Paul,
Margherita lives in a full catered college.

I though that was the best solution, given that she had a lot to up her pace to: language, weather condition, classes very far from what she did in high school (she had a rigid curriculum, that involves 8 issues, most of them of the humanistic-literary kind and now she studies sciences).

It is strange this meals prob because, as I told before, in Cambridge we ate wonderfully.

Even so, willing, you can always put a decent meal together even in a microwave, that is, I can, but I am adult and experienced. I learned how to cook in every given situation, from wooden fire and oven to all the modern fixtures.

But, I repeat, what counts the most is the curiosity, the need to understand what is it we are eating (we say that we are what we eat), how it is prepared, what are the nutrients containts and how to pattern and rotate them into the weekly meals.

Marghe's problem will be solved in few months, but what I hope is to have more addiction to this thread. I think that all the cooking cultures are someway tied to their environment.

And that variety (many different recipes from all over the world) is a treasure.

Bye,
add an irish-japanese recipe, thanks
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject:

Dear Mimma

Do not worry about daughters food too much ...........Healthy Nutrition is not the main problem of young people - hahaha (and young bodies bear a lot - without any damages)
She surely has learned from your practical traditions and your advices -and- is an Italian "Gourmet" already - we never forget the taste of our childhood !

But different times need different solutions.......it mostly has to be cheap and fast ....that´s the way how most students worldwide live !
Perhaps Asian food is the best and healthiest "alternative" for her ?

You need not be afraid she ever will become a "Fast-Food-Junkie"

Experienced old mom speaking !
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject:

If you have any microwave recipes do pass some of them on if you have time. I usually cook food with a gas cooker and only use the microwave to heat up food (sometimes until it explodes Embarassed ) . It's not a great microwave.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Paul, MyDear,

I heard you, don't worry.

I did chicken legs with potatoes (and salt, pepper, garlic and ramery) in the microwave. Twenty minutes, more or less. Not bad.

My microwave has the grill and the rotating dish. Is it yours like mine? I have to know, because I am currently trying few recipes especially for you, and I will give you those just when I have them perfect.

Let me know, thanks
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
katwoman64

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Dear Paul,
Nothing beats pancakes when it comes to filling a big appetite after a long day at work. The pancakes are everywhere in the world, under different names: in Italy, we call it crepes, or crespelle, or piadine, but we’re talking of the same thing: american pancakes, buckwheat galette, very thin and large crepes (called crêpes bretonnes in France) from Brittany, Russian blinis (tiny crepes served with smoked fish, a dollop of sour cream and caviar), Mexican corn crepes; even the latke (made with grated potatoes) can be considered a relative of crepes.
This is a whole dinner that you can prepare in advance (even freeze) and gratin at the last moment in a traditional or microwave oven.
I give for granted that you know how to do pancakes.
For all the fillings
They are all made in the same way, meaning that the vegetables are sautéed in a pan with olive oil
(or butter, it depends) and garlic, or onion, or leek, or shallot… till they cook. Then the filling is completed mixing the vegetables, cold and drained, with ricotta cheese or parmesan and adding all the rest.
Then rolled together in a container, covered with béchamel sauce and, twenty minutes before serving, put in the oven till they have a golden crust.
If you use the traditional oven you have to preheat it at 180°C, then cook for about 15 min, then add the grill for other 3-4 min.
If you use the combo microwave+grill put 10/13 min at 650W + grill;
if you have the crisp mode, then put the crepes in the proper container, in the microwave 10/12 min.
Bechamel sauce is one of the mother sauces and it is also known as white sauce. A white sauce can be used to make many dishes. This is a basic and versatile sauce that every cook should master.
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Melt butter in a microwave-safe measuring cup. Use care as to not brown the butter.
Whisk in flour. 3
Microwave on high until the sauce bubbles.
Whisk in the milk and cook until the sauce begins to bubble. Remove sauce from oven and whisk.
Place the measuring cup back in the microwave oven and microwave until it bubbles again, becomes thickened, and is smooth.
Remove white sauce from microwave oven and season with salt and nutmeg.

Or, like I do (every chef will have the fits reading my shortcuts), put the flour into the container, with a pinch of salt. Add the cold milk, a tiny wee bit a time, and mix it not to form clogs, keep adding till you finish the milk. Add the piece of butter and put in the microwave, full power, for one minute. Remove, mix again, then put in the oven again till you see it boil. Remove and mix . The sauce has to be thickened and smooth. Now you can add the nutmeg, just a bit, but you can also do without or substitute it with a pinch of pepper. Use as a base for other sauces or in cooking.
ROBIOLA and PORCINI MUSHROOM CREPES
For 4 people:
Crepes:
100g flour
2 eggs
1 glass and milk
salt
50g butter

Filling:
400 gr robiola cheese
300 grams mushrooms Porcini
Condiments

Garlic 1 clove
l milk
30g flour
30g butter
parsley chopped
glass white wine
salt
pepper

Prepare the crepes: Mix flourEggs, milk and salt. Mix with a whisk until the mixture is smooth but not creamy. Heat in a frying pan a knob of butter. Pour a ladle of cream prepared. Turn the pancake slipping it on a plate, putting it in the pan uncooked side. Continue until exhaustion in the preparation of the cream prepared.
Cut and chop the mushrooms. Collect them in a bowl, add robiola and mix with a spoon, making the mixture creamy. Take a pancake and place it on the work plan. Spread with a spoonful of filling the lower half. Fold first half then in half again, getting a fan. Grease a baking dish. Arrange the stuffed crepes in the pan.
For the sauce, sauté garlic with butter in a pan. Remove garlic, Combine flour, Wine and milk. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Thicken on the stove for 10 minutes. Pour the sauce over crepes. Allow to brown in the oven then serve.

- PANCAKES RICOTTA CHEESE AND SPINACH
FOR PANCAKES:
- 50 gr flour
- 2 dl milk
- 1 knob of butter
- A few leaves of basil
- A few stems of chives
- Salt

For the filling:
- 450 gr of ricotta
- 200 g frozen spinach
- 50 grams of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 dl cream
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 eggs
- Nutmeg
- Salt
- Pepper
1. Put the ricotta in a colander and let drain. Blanch the spinach in a little boiling salted water for 10 min. then drain and chop.
2.Preparate the batter for the crepes: In a bowl, sift the flour, add a pinch of salt and butter. Beat with a whisk and add milk and little water at a time, in order to obtain a fluid and the right density. Add chopped basil and chives, then cover and let stand for a couple of hours.
3.Past this time, cook the pancakes on both sides in a hot nonstick skillet with very little oil.
4.Preparate the filling: In a bowl, mix ricotta, parmesan, cream, eggs, spinach and parsley. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
5.Anoint a baking dish, spread the filling on each crepe, roll them up and place them in the pan. Sprinkle the surface with a few knobs of butter and bake in oven. with spinach and ricotta and ... to make them hyper light instead of putting the bechamel sauce on top I use spinach and ricotta (the filling so to speak) and diluted with a bit of milk. Just out of the oven sprinkle with Parmesan cheese chopped ....
- Or use melted butter, sage leaves and parmesan on top. Or simple tomato sauce.
- I usually roll pancakes cannelloni style.
With the crepes I also made the lasagna pasta ...

I usually stuff them with artichokes and provola, mushrooms and cream or white sauce, but you can do the same with the spinach. Stew them with onions and mix cream or fresh salted ricotta cheese, and then pour over the crepes with bechamel and Parmesan ...
Try pairing zucchini and pesto is delicious! To bind with white sauce or the mozzarella and then the grated Parmesan or pecorino over to cover all...
RADICCHIO AND GORGONZOLA (OR STRACCHINO) CHEESE + WALNUTS Why not fill them with radicchio and gorgonzola? Make Treviso radicchio braise with onion, olive oil and red wine. When cooked, just to cool the mixture and add the blue cheese (sweet or strong as desired). With this mixture fill the crepes, then once placed in the baking dish cover with béchamel, crumbled walnuts and Parmesan. They are exquisite and the flavour is quite new.
SPECK(smoked ham, bacon) AND ARUGULA
20 g rocket
100g bacon
100 ml of cream (approximately 90 g)
butter
2 egg batter for savory crepes
200 ml of milk bechamel
PREPARATION
Clean the rocket removing tough stems. Wash and drain. Chop on a cutting board with the crescent rather finely.
Remove excess fat from bacon and chop finely in a mixer.
In a small bowl, dissolve the mixture obtained with the cream.
Grease the pan with a little butter and pour a ladle of batter.
Soon as the crepe is golden on one side turning.
Finish cooking the other side, then place it on a serving dish for seasoning.
Place the filling in the center of the pancakes, sprinkle it evenly, then fold in half and half again, until you get a fan.
Butter the baking pan to each and repeat the process for each crepe.
Arrange all the crepes in a seasoned baking sheet, drizzle with the white sauce and bake.
Serve immediately garnishing with a few leaves of arugula.

PUMPKIN AND RICOTTA,
Cook the pumpkin first browning in a pan with the onion and then adding a little water, simmer till it is done, not too moist .. apart I cook the shredded the mushrooms with a clove of garlic and a little white wine, and once cooked stuff the crepes putting in a little' pumpkin, provola cut in tiny cubes, close the crepes, and put in the oven in a buttered baking dish. Wait a few minutes, the time the provola melts a bit, then cover the outside crepes with mushrooms and put in the oven again just a moment ..
Or sautè the pumpkin in a pan with a clove of garlic, add water and cook, then blend it, add ricotta cheese an rosemary finely cut.
ZUCCHINA: (ottime) con scamorza affumicata, zucchine (rosolate a fettine con aglio e salvia) e prosciutto cotto, piegate a triangolo e ricoperte con sola besciamella (e parmigiano).
- ripiene di ricotta, un uovo, zucchine tagliate sottilissime, grana grattugiato, sale e formaggio tipo galbanino tagliato a tocchetti... e sopra le ho ricoperte di besciamella.
- In alternativa, prova l'abbinamento zucchine e pesto, è buonissimo!!! Come amalgamante puoi usare la besciamella oppure la mozzarella e poi del parmigiano o pecorino grattugiato sopra a coprire tutto...
- O zucchine, parmigiano, uno spicchio d’aglio, besciamella, sale, burro e olio

SALMONE... ... Stuff crepes like this: a sautéed a green onion or a shallot in butter, Put so much salmon smoked in pieces and cook for doing little with some fresh tomato. Add cream, Green pepper, chives. Put in the mixer and form this cream: mix with Parmesan cheese and a with bechamel and stuff the crepes.
ASPARAGUS AND STRACCHINO CHEESE: you have to melt a little stracchino, add chopped mozzarella and finally boiled asparagus tips above. Mix well together and fill the crepes, anoint a baking dish with butter, then spread some béchamel, place the pancakes, cover them with bechamel and a sprinkle of Parmesan, a few chunks of butter and in the oven.... they are very good.
-

Simple simple
ham mozzarella salad pink sauce is a nice contrast to the ham and hot pink sauce and mozzarella salad and fresh!
Delicious filled with ricotta, An egg, zucchini cut thin, parmesan cheese, salt and cheese type Galbanino cut into chunks ... and I covered over bechamel
Or with bechamel, fontina cheese and mushrooms previously sliced and braised fill the cooked
crepes and close in 4 and above I put a simple bechamel smooth or butter and Parmesan.
Or spinach chopped (I leave them raw) crescenza cheese and bacon, I close in two (type sofficini) and above melted butter, few sage leaves and Parmesan
Or filled of ground beef and cheese racy close as rolling and served with a cannelloni sauce of tomato and Parmesan
Diced ham and cheese, but can vary with sausage and cheese or some other vegetable that you like and the cheese .... minced veal and ricotta, ham and fontina cheese, cheese and ham… a thick white sauce with diced smoked ham and mushrooms are ready in the can ..

VEGETARIANS
I love the mushrooms with cream asparagus or mixed grilled vegetables, or with radicchio and ricotta For there are many other ways, depends on taste! Cmq:
-for those mushrooms, I cook frozen mixed mushrooms in a pan with olive oil, chopped garlic and parsley chopped fresh, add 1 p vegetable stock and cook, stir it then they pretend with a bechamel homemade and enriched with Emmentaler cheese. Fill my crepes, Close to the triangle / cigar / bundle etc. in short, as I go to that moment, lying in a buttered baking dish and sprinkled bechamel Then on the other white sauce, some mushrooms, cheese and butter flakes, then baked with gratin
-for asparagus same procedure, cooked asparagus (boiled) then sautee with butter, garlic, some herbs to taste, then blend and blend with ricotta or Philadelphia or robiola cheese, fill the crepes. Decorate with whole asparagus and bechamel, Butter, and then goldened in the oven.
Or grill mixed vegetables (peppers, zucchini, Eggplant, etc.), then sautè them in a pan with olive oil and garlic or onion, smooth in the mixer, then stir in Philadelphia, fill etc etc.
BeeMood-filled Eggplant fries, spread with tasty sauce tomato, add mozzarella cheese, abundant parmesan, stuffed with meat sauce or soy or seitan, parmesan, meat sauce and sprinkle other bechamel or parmesan and butter flakes ....
I usually stuffed with artichokes and mushrooms and cream or white sauce, but you can do the same with the spinach. Stew them with onions and mix cream or fresh salted ricotta cheese, and then pour over the crepes with bechamel and Parmesan ...

... Enjoy!
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject:

Dear Paul...
SHRIMPS AND BROCCOLI LASAGNA WITH MUSHROOMS SCENTED SAUCE:

Ingredients for fresh pasta dough:
200 g flour
2 eggs
1 pinch of salt

Ingredients for the fish and broccoli sauce:
400 g broccoli (just the heads)
3 cloves garlic
1 onion finely minced
400 g fresh prawns
Extravirgin olive oil
1 / 2 glass dry white wine
4 anchovies
Salt and pepper
grated Parmesan cheese

Ingredients for the mushrooms scented bechamel sauce:
1 / 2 liter milk
75 g butter
60g all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper
15 g dried mushrooms (they need to be soaked in water for about 20 minutes)

We like to try many different lasagna recipes and this is a wonderful one to share with the world.
First of all mound the flour in the center of a large wooden cutting board. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the eggs and the salt. Using a fork, beat together the eggs and begin to incorporate the flour starting with the inner rim of the well. Start out by kneading the dough with both hands. The dough should be elastic. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow it to rest for about 30 minutes. Then roll it with the Imperia machine or a rolling pin, then keep on rolling again until thin as desired. Cut the dough into rectangles, we will call them noodles.
The noodles need to be soaked in boiling salted water for a few minutes. Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook the noodles just for a couple of minutes.
Wash the prawns and remove the exoskeleton covering the abdomens and tails from the fish. Take a broad skillet and heat the olive oil in Extravirgin it with the garlic. Add the onion and the broccoli heads (you have to cut them into little pieces). When the garlic begins to crackle remove it and add the fish. Cook all this mixture for a few minutes over a brisk flame. Sprinkle the wine over it and when it has evaporated, add anchovies and check seasoning with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Now the bechamel sauce.
In a medium saucepan heat the butter until melted. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Heat the milk in a separate pan until just about to boil. Add the hot milk to the butter mixture. Bring to a boil and cook for about ten minutes. Cook stirring constantly, then remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper and add the dried mushrooms in little pieces. Mix well.
Now we start building the lasagna layers. Use a 9x13 inch baking pan. Spread a bit of bechamel sauce on the bottom of the pan. Lay 4 noodles across the layer of bechamel sauce. Spread the fish and broccoli sauce mixture over the layer of noodles. Spread the bechamel sauce and grated Parmesan cheese. Lay down the next layer of noodles, then the fish sauce, the bechamel sauce and grated Parmesan cheese. Lay down another layer of noodles. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake Now stretch the rectangles of the previously blanched dough and stuffed with a generous dose of seasoning. Spread a layer of white sauce and sprinkled with some parmesan cheese and grated pecorino Romano. Stretch another layer of pastry, sauce, white sauce, Parmesan cheese and the like.
Put in the oven (grill+microwave) for 15-20 minutes, till it is golden on top, or put in a traditional hot oven at 190 degrees for about 35 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Taste this divine goodness of pasta.

Enjoy!
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: