TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

New Years Eve - Tokyo style

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: New Years Eve - Tokyo style

Hi Everyone

Watched on the news celebrations round the world as 2010 began in different countries. Most did the usual of firework displays which are impressive and enjoyable, but for me the best was Tokyo. I loved the idea of everyone letting balloons with messages fly off into the air, to land wherever. A different and fun way to start off the new year. I was wondering did any of our dear Japanese friends take part in the celebration and was it just done in Tokyo or all over Japan.

Best wishes...mary.
Yuka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject:

Hi Mary,

I didn’t attend the celebration, but temple called Zojoji which is the nearest temple from my house ,
held balloon countdown(this was 21th event this year)using about 3000 balloons made from eco-friendly materials.
May be there are similar kind of events going on in Japan.
For me it’s more surprising to see on every New Year’s Day, so many people standing in a long line
from early in the morning (sometimes from Dec.31)to buy lucky bags from big department stores in Tokyo. Surprised
( I’ve never tried before…...)

I spent New Year’s Eve in Tokyo with my cousins from U.S. They were born in Hong Kong and NY,
so it’s fun to tell them about Japanese customs in New Year because some of their memories on Japan are missing. Wink

Yuka
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject:

Hi Yuka

Glad to hear you had a nice and funny New Year´s Eve with your cousins !
I still remember where Zojoji Temple is located - with a crying eye!

In my opinion, the "Balloon-Idea" for celebrating and wellcome the New Year has definitly sense !

Hi Mary

"Ashes of Times Redux " already two times on TV ? Wow ! What a open-minded TV in Ireland !

Best Regards
Helga
Yuka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject:

Hi Helga,

Don’t be sad…At least I know where to look for you when you’re lost in Tokyo Wink

Please visit Japan again in cherry blossom season flower or any other time ! You’re always welcome!!
mary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject:

Hi Yuka

Glad to hear you had a lovely New Years Eve. Must have been good fun meeting up with your cousins catching up on eachothers news. Thanks for sharing the info on the balloon ceremony.

Hi Helga

Lucky me able to see some of Tonys films on TV. As I posted Ashes Of Time Redux has been on twice in 2009. It was on the British TV channel called Film 4, which is a newish service not as old as the BBC. Film 4 premieres alot of films from all round the world. This has only been in recent years so I have missed out on older films but at least now we are catching up on some of the newer ones.

Asian movies are popular here, to show support for this sometimes Film 4 will do a season of movies from Hong Kong, China, Korea and Japan. Of course when they do I always try to watch them. I enjoy watching movies from all countries always entertained and learning from all of them.

I subscibe to Sky Digital TV which gives me access to British TV and Southern Irish TV. In Northern Ireland we have a couple of local TV stations but rely on programmes from England as very few are made here. The Irish TV called RTE also shows some Asian movies but not as many as Film 4.

On the Sky Digital there is also access to a Chinese channel CCTV-9 which is English speaking. This channel covers alot of culture from China, I find it interesting especially a programme called Culture Express. This programme covers stories from the arts, TV and films so once in a while Tony will feature on it. I don't watch it all the time but was lucky to catch some articles involving Tony and his films.

Are many Asian movies shown on your local TV?
Best wishes...mary.
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject:

Dear Mary

Glad irish girl -
To answer your question: No, unfortunatly not - We have only 2 public Austrian channels , some German speeking from Germany and Swizzerland and some from other European countries (Italy, Slowenia, French...)and languages !
We have got "Cable" in our house (no satellite dish) so only get about 35 stations - some are terrible stupid ones.
Most we watch French-German "arte TV" or Austrian-Swizzerland "3 SAT" - both very good culture channels - looking over the borders !
Unfortunately I only have seldom the opportunity to watch Asian Movies on TV (therefore I record whenever possible) - to enlarge my personal little collection - with bought ones of course. (Perhaps this is the reason too, why I am such a hungry "Festival-Fan" - I love the Big Screen and the "theatre atmosphere" very much, but there are very, very few Asian films to watch in our lokal movie theatres ! And new productions, I am interested in, are only to watch in special cinemas or on Festivals!)

At the moment I am changing from VHS to DVD. Most of the films are movies from East Asia, but some "western" ones too - and - some old Movie-Classics.

With Satellite Dish you probably have much more variety - but more
quantity is no guarantee for more quality (or program I like) - I fear.

"Film 4" or "Culture Express" sounds very interesting - If I had, I would watch too!
Have fun Mary and enjoy such films !

In my opinion good movies are like journeys to new, unknown landscapes and sceneries - inside oneself too. Especially when such gifted and wonderful artists - like Tony is one - help us to imagine ! (let´s hope he is not suffering too much in frosty, Northern China)

Friendly Greetings
Helga
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: