TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Gorgeous 1999

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linnnggluu

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Gorgeous 1999

Hiya! I was browsing through youtube the other day and I found a movie called Gorgeous, from 1999 starring; Jackie Chan,Shu Qi, TONY LEUNG, Richie Ren and many other cameos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HGssoamjYs
Has any one seen this before? I finished the whole thing in one sitting and i was literally laughing throughout the whole movie.
No spoilers but another amazing performance by our Tony =) Razz
mary

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Hi linnggluu
I have Gorgeous on dvd bought for £5 on sale in one of our major stores. Tony is very funny in this film, this part showcases his talent for comedy. I agree another great performance he really gets you laughing... best wishes...mary
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject:

Hi!
I watched Gorgeous a couple of times. The cameo of a gay Tony ogling the sailors and with a pink thing in the hair is the real meaningful part. I mean, I don't really appreciate the action scenes. And Shu Qi has a long way to go from beautiful, but full of smirks acting to real acting.
Jackie Chan does his thing, he's a seasoned professional.

Tony was the only bright light of the whole.

Do you agree? Let me know.
Bye
Kat

Sadako Sasaki
linnnggluu

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject:

katwoman64 wrote:
Hi!
I watched Gorgeous a couple of times. The cameo of a gay Tony ogling the sailors and with a pink thing in the hair is the real meaningful part. I mean, I don't really appreciate the action scenes. And Shu Qi has a long way to go from beautiful, but full of smirks acting to real acting.
Jackie Chan does his thing, he's a seasoned professional.

Tony was the only bright light of the whole.

Do you agree? Let me know.
Bye
Kat

Kat,
Of course i agree haha.
Jackie Chan is a veteran actor, with him directing/choreographing many of his movies,stunts etc and obviously has many movies in his name.

As for Shu QI, i believe back then she had just made a few movies after modeling for explicit magazines but she did alright as a naive, cute country gril.

Out of the many cameos (Stephen Chow, Wakin Chou, Richie Ren and others) , Tony was definitely hm...how do you call it? A dime in a dozen pennies! XP His portrayal of a lonely, gay man was comical and it showed he has a soft side for women to help them even if he didn't like being touched by us haha.

I found myself asking "hm, I wonder if he really is gay" but obviously that is nonsense since we all know that he has carina and he is a superb, outstanding actor.

Cheers,
Ling
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject:

Hi linnnggluu!
Wow! What a nickname!

Thanks to Wong Kar Wai Tony is a gay icon - too.
But most of all he's a 360° actor. To be so good going from comedy to drama is outstanding versatility.

Jackie Chan is a professional, but there's no surprise in his performance. Good for the lovers of the genre. Admirable professional.

The surprising aspect in Tony is the reality quality he can add to his characters. A great deal of depth also in what are small or cameo roles.

Well, that's why we are here, isn't it? He is appreciated from men, because he's very virile in a lot of action/thriller role. Loved from gays because of the depth which he portrays their emotional and environmental problematics and loved from women for the ability to portray to even the smaller details of the intricacies of the feelings world.

He really touches our inner chords in a lot of ways. This is why we always catch ourselves in deep amazement. This goes way over the simple admiration. It is an inner feeling of kinship.

And he adds to the whole being so kind to answer us!

Thank him seems soo... so a small thing!

Shu Qi has a long way to go to become a good actress. And, anyway, how comes that she never seems to have a sparkle of chemistry with her partners? She just seems to be in love with herself! I wish her to be less in love with herself and more with filmmaking. Look at her in Love Me, Love My Money. Look at her and Tony and then tell me.

Bye,
Nice to meet you
Fatwoman

Sadako Sasaki
linnnggluu

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject:

katwoman64 wrote:
Hi linnnggluu!
Wow! What a nickname!

Thanks to Wong Kar Wai Tony is a gay icon - too.
But most of all he's a 360° actor. To be so good going from comedy to drama is outstanding versatility.

Jackie Chan is a professional, but there's no surprise in his performance. Good for the lovers of the genre. Admirable professional.

The surprising aspect in Tony is the reality quality he can add to his characters. A great deal of depth also in what are small or cameo roles.

Well, that's why we are here, isn't it? He is appreciated from men, because he's very virile in a lot of action/thriller role. Loved from gays because of the depth which he portrays their emotional and environmental problematics and loved from women for the ability to portray to even the smaller details of the intricacies of the feelings world.

He really touches our inner chords in a lot of ways. This is why we always catch ourselves in deep amazement. This goes way over the simple admiration. It is an inner feeling of kinship.

And he adds to the whole being so kind to answer us!

Thank him seems soo... so a small thing!

Shu Qi has a long way to go to become a good actress. And, anyway, how comes that she never seems to have a sparkle of chemistry with her partners? She just seems to be in love with herself! I wish her to be less in love with herself and more with filmmaking. Look at her in Love Me, Love My Money. Look at her and Tony and then tell me.

Bye,
Nice to meet you
Fatwoman

Wow. I never realized that Shu Qi has been in like 3 movies with Tony XD
Seoul Raiders, gorgeous, and Love Me Love me money.

in each of those movies i think that Shu Qi is basically exaggerating a representation of herself in real life, whereas Tony can morph into whoever he is portraying whether an Asian Inspector gadget, an under cover triad, or a rich , selfish cheapskate.

A reason why Tony nabbed so many BA awards in Golden Horse, Cannes, Asian Film Awards is that he has the ability to hide behind a mask of a person, and truely convey their story to the audience.

While in my view that Shu Qi did a good job in Gorgeous, I agree that the actress put herself in a different light in front of the camera. Her representation as Ah Choi shows her ...sassy/teenage girl side but I have a feeling where I think it is part of Her True Self.

I was also looking through the Bloopers/the making of gorgeous this morning; The Tony Onscreen and the Tony offScreen is completely different whereas Shu Qi is bubbly and happy all round.

The director of Gorgeous made the superb choice of letting Tony's comedic side balance out a Jackie Chan action film with a coming along actress even if she does need improvement
mary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject:

Hi
Gorgeous isn't the best movie i've ever seen but it's watchable.
Tony is the best thing about it. He is excellant at comedy giving the character realism and committing 100% giving this performance his usual high standard. For me the funniest part was when he was trying to get away from Jackie Chan in the elevator scene, just watch his face as he panics when the door will not close.

Jackie Chan maybe an iconic actor I know he has done alot for Chinese movies and his country but to me he now never seems to add anything new. In this movie he just does what Jackie Chan always does he's a victim of his own persona. His performance is ok but Tony will always better him at acting.

Shu Qi isn't a great actress she tried too hard in this movie to be the happy go lucky cute young girl and didn't convince at all. I found her performance a bit irritating (not that I could do better myself).

So to sum up enjoy Gorgeous for what it is don't expect too much. Tony is the best thing in it so for his performance it's well worth watching he never dissapoints.
michi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject:

This is one of my favorite movies!!

Tony looks good in pink shirt and sunglasses!!!
sooooo cute!!
I like to see Tony's comedy.
linnnggluu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Sigh. It is Sooo bad to get addicted to Tony's comedies right before SATS . sighhh =____=
<3
francisc4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject:

Hi,

This is one of my favorite movies too !!!

I agree with michi, Tony looks good in pink shirt, pants, shoes and sunglasses!!! he looks sooooo cute!! Very Happy

and btw, for me the funniest part was when he was introducing himself to Shu Qi, and told her that he`s a gay.. and then he bring her to a photo shoot and he was busy ogling with the sailor.. thumbright

Cisca
linnnggluu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject:

LOL.
My 2 favorite scenes:
Tony was refusing to help Shu Qi while he was doing the facials/masks and the cucumbers on the face. He goes sit down under the red light putting the goggles over his eyes. Later when he goes to Jackie's apartment, his whole face was tan Except for the part where the goggles were! XD

Shu Qi: Albert is my best girlfriend! We should adopt him!
Tony:Mom!
Mom:Son!
Tony: Mom!
Mom: Son!
Tony: Mom!
Mom:Son!...wait no. Daughter!!

<33 oh how i wish Tony would act in More comedies.
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject:

I agree with you : I´ve got "Gorgeous" from an japanese friend and I like it very much too ! I did not know him in comedies before - only some funny scenes of "Eagelhunting Heroes" (with Jacky Cheung... - enchanted Tony showes Jacky how to declare his love..........heart-rending curious.....-watch on YouTube)
For me Tony is the best part in this movie (sorry Jacky Chan fans - he is great too but he is he in his movie - a better fighter than actor) -

Unbelievable how Tony changes in different genres and characters !
Dear linnnggluu
I do not understand your:
sighhh = ____= and < 3-.........
what does it mean ? - maybe am I too stupid ?
linnnggluu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject:

Safran wrote:
I agree with you : I´ve got "Gorgeous" from an japanese friend and I like it very much too ! I did not know him in comedies before - only some funny scenes of "Eagelhunting Heroes" (with Jacky Cheung... - enchanted Tony showes Jacky how to declare his love..........heart-rending curious.....-watch on YouTube)
For me Tony is the best part in this movie (sorry Jacky Chan fans - he is great too but he is he in his movie - a better fighter than actor) -

Unbelievable how Tony changes in different genres and characters !
Dear linnnggluu
I do not understand your:
sighhh = ____= and < 3-.........
what does it mean ? - maybe am I too stupid ?

safran,
oh sorry hehe.Not stupid! no!
every once in a while i tend to lapse into "instant message lingo"
and i tend to type i what i feel like "sighs" and "ughs" and so on.
=___= is one of the sour faces i write alot
and <3 is a heart, for love .

from
ling
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject:

Thanks for explanation - everything clear now !
Have a nice day !
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: