TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Articles appeared in Japanese major newspapers

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Articles appeared in Japanese major newspapers

Articles appeared today in major newspapers in Japan.
(Asahi and Yomiuri )

I'm so happy to see his big pictures in major newspapers in Japan !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

This is from Yomiuri online . I like this photo here . (article in Japanese )
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/entertainment/cinema/topics/20090417et05.htm?from=os2

The article is mainly focused on how he is involved in playing Zhou-yu's role and similarity between Zhou-yu and John Woo.
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Thank you Yuka,

The most parts of the interview are similar to the other ones, but I found the last line very interesting.

Tony said "Heros are always a certain kind of person, so there isn't much space to develop, however playing a villain gives you more flexibility to develop your own ideas. There aren't so many opportunities for me to play a villain, but the audience would be interested in it and it is very interesting for me as well. I would always like to have a challenge as an actor."

I agree with Tony, I prefer Tony playing ordinary person (there isn't any typical character even though it seems like, because each ordinary people is different and having an individual daily life) or a villain compare with "a typical super hero". Wink
nancix**

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject:

I love this Asahi's article.
http://www.asahi.com/showbiz/movie/TKY200904170261.html
Junko Fukatsu is a newspaper journalist who has been covering Asian movie since the 90's. I have met her in the Asian film festival of Fukuoka at 1994. Afterwards, she went also to the Cannes Film Festival to cover.
She understands details of the production of this "Red Cliff". And, Tony is speaking the real intention to her.
Tony said:"I undertook to perform by this movie. Any character does one's best to me. I also have neither hesitation nor regret. …… But I can honestly say.I felt that Takeshi Kaneshiro seems to be easy. He is envied....just a little feels". Razz
And, Tony was resistance training at intervals of the interview.Tony said. The shooting of next movie("Kung Fu Master" Ip Man) beginning is July. Shocked
July? Not June?? Why?? OK, I need wait and wait.....always.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Thank you, Eri and nancix for the follow- up!! Very Happy

Found another article on Daily Yomiuri (English article)
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/arts/20090417TDY14003.htm

Not Tony's interview but interesting... (I thought best to post it to
another place, but Daily Yomiuri is part of Yomiuri newspaper
so I copied here. If it's better to remove it. Please let me know.)

Actor gleans insight from Pan-Asian experience
Ikuko Kitagawa / Daily Yomiuri Staff Writer(Apr. 17, 2009)

John Woo's blockbuster Red Cliff series brings together a cast, crew and financiers from throughout Asia. The historical action flick features actors who are Chinese, Mongolian, Japanese and Taiwanese, and who communicate off-screen through a combination of Mandarin, Cantonese and Fujian.

"I spoke to Tony [Leung] and [Takeshi] Kaneshiro in Cantonese, while our meetings were held in Mandarin. The dialogue in the movie is Mandarin," explains Chang Chen, who plays Sun Quan, the young king of Wu Kingdom.

Three of the main roles are filled by actors from Taiwan: Kaneshiro--a Japanese raised in Taiwan--as military advisor Zhuge Liang; Chiling Lin as Xiao Qiao, the wife of the viceroy of Wu, who is key in the second-round battle against the 800,000-strong army led by Cao Cao (Zhang Fengyi); and Chen. Is it a coincidence?

"Asian countries are so close that each one can relate to the other. That makes it easy to work flexibly, even with Southeast Asian countries such as Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines. This is true for not only Taiwanese actors, but any Asian actor," Chen says.

Making his debut in 1991 with Taiwanese director Edward Yang's A Brighter Summer Day (Japan title: Kurinche Shonen Satsujin Jiken), Chen has featured in movies by well-known Asian directors, including Ang Lee's 2000 film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Japan title: Green Destiny)--in which Chen played the lover of the film's heroine, portrayed by Zhang Ziyi--Wong Kar Wai's 1997 movie Happy Together (Japan title: Buenos Aires) and 2004's 2046. In the recent Japanese-language movie Go Seigen (The Go Master), Chen played a legendary Chinese go player Wu Qingyuan and spoke entirely in Japanese.

"Very few international films get made in Taiwan, so Taiwanese actors have no choice but to go overseas to find work. If we do nothing but domestic stuff, we'll go broke," he says. "That said, a director chooses his actors based on what his film needs, as well as personality and name recognition."

Chen says he got his role in Red Cliff eight months before shooting began. Although he didn't ask Woo why he was chosen, the director told him to find a similarity between himself and the gentle Sun Quan, who is under pressure from his father and older brother, both famed warriors. "I was told to express my character through my eyes," says Chen, whose character has few lines.

Chen says working with well-known actors and directors has improved not only his acting skills, but also his ability to work as part of a massive group.

"It was truly hard to work with a cast and crew that numbered in the thousands, but I watched John Woo succeed by getting along with everyone," Chen says. "That was an important lesson--not only as an actor, but as a person."
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject:

I did like Chang Chen in WKW´s "Eros" (part of a trilogy) very much - camera of Doyle ! Hope he is in Tony´s new movie too - will see.
Bye - and thanks for your work
Safran
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject:

Thank to you all, girls.
You give me the most precious of all the gifts: your time, because posting is time consuming and time is the only thing you can't buy.

And you give it to me everyday!!!!

Thanks, from the bottom of my heart
Mimma the Kat

Sadako Sasaki
michi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject:

Tony's photo of ASAHI SHIMBUN

sorry for grainy image quality...
I like his eyes of this photo.

udonchow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject:

Very charming eyes and smile, thanks Michi for posting Tony's photo here Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: