TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Returning from HK ...

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireeater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Returning from HK ...

Dear everyone:

I arrived in HK at night on September 24th but had to leave on the 27th.

The night I arrived, I managed to get my cinema ticket from the amc cinema at Pacific Place adjacent to my hotel.

On the 25th at 9:00pm was the night I watched Lust, Caution. The cinema was very strict about mobile phones and for fear of anyone bringing recording device inside, our bags were checked before entering the screening room.
I went by myself that night and I noticed that other audiences were a mixed crowd, foreign and local. It was a full house.

I remember holding my breath often during the viewing (I don’t know why, really… it was just so… I also noticed the girls beside me, to my left and right, seemed to be holding theirs as well…)

When first Mr. Yee’s character was introduced on screen, I inevitably looked for Tony, the actor. But there he was, Mr. Yee, the character, whom so happened did not resemble anything of Tony. He seemed to have shrunk physically especially when he walked. And the distinctive lines on his face marked the character of a merciless man. You see… to me it is almost always difficult to separate the image from the real person.

In many scenes later on, awfully cold and paranoiac the character of Mr. Yee was, that I genuinely feared for the life of Mak Tai Tai (Tang Wei’s character). I knew that it was only a film but I was absolutely absorbed by the performance and story.

As for “the” scene(s), I could only say that everything was laid bare and raw right there on screen, physically and psychologically. In each love making scene the two characters were stripped bare physically but could not or would not expose their true emotions towards one another as each had to play his/her role. They seemed to have rather suppress these emotions, so that their love affair became a psychological battle between the two lovers. This left a virtually haunting impression on me. You knew it that tragedy would befall these two lovers eventually.

There was one memorable scene that I felt was very moving. When Mak Tai Tai sang for Mr. Yee a romantic song depicting a lover’s yearning for the other, he was brought to tears, and his truly pained gaze was recognizably Tony’s.

I was pleased to catch this film in HK because if I saw it in Singapore or Jakarta, I would not be able to see the full version. The film was bold in its execution that I did not feel I was sitting there for more than two hours.

I just need to add one more thing… (I just couldn’t help myself to write this, guys…). Although Tony’s facial feature and physical gestures were absolutely and necessarily transformed in this film as Mr. Yee was an older man of position at a specific historical period, during the love making scene, Mr. Yee’s physique was definitely Tony’s… beautiful body.

I thought to only write my basic impression of the film, as there are deeper layers to this film that I didn’t explore here in my writing. I’m afraid I would spoil it for the ones who haven’t yet seen the film. This film will be quintessential for many Tony’s fans. Not only because he had chosen to perform such a challenging role, but also because he had delivered the role at his utmost. Tony was brilliant!

Take care everyone,
fireeater

PS: I have some pix I wanted to post here from the trip but I am unable to. Could someone tell me how to do it? Thanks beforehand.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your thoughts fireeater - looking forward to the pix Smile
marsha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject:

I am happy you seem to enjoy your HK trip. I really envy you, I hope Lust, Caution will be shown here in Manila. I hope you can also post the pictures or if you like you can send it directly to my email.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Lucky you

How lucky you are. I am losing all hope that LC will be released in Mexico. Nothing has been said, nothing. I hoped that since it was directed by Ang Lee, they would bring it, but apparently, they won't. Anyway, maybe it's still too soon, considering how log it takes to release the few Asian movies they bring to theaters. Sad
fireeater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Returning from HK ...

Dear Summertime:

I wanted to post a few pix from my HK trip. Especially one pix: a billboard of Tony for Starworld Hotel that I passed by on the street. But I'm still unable to post it in this forum. I don't really know why.

I'll keep trying.

Take care Summertime.

Dear Marsha and Flavichu:

I really do hope they will play Lust, Caution in Manila and Mexico soon. I just hope you both don't have to wait too long for it. It would be really frustrating to only be able to read too much reviews of the film without being able to see the film firsthand.

Marsha, I could send the pix to your email (mind you, they're not really good ones, but in some, Tony's image is in it). I don't have your email address though. So let me know if you still would like to see them.

Take care to both of you,
fireeater-Vanni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject:

Hi fireeater,

The billboard shot would be so cool Smile
fireeater

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject:

Does anyone know how to upload pictures in the forum? Please kindly let me know because I haven't been able to do this.

Thanks guys beforehand.

fireeater[/img]
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: