TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Oscar-winning director Ang Lee says he's socially awkward

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Oscar-winning director Ang Lee says he's socially awkward

Oscar-winning director Ang Lee says he's socially awkward

The Associated PressPublished: October 6, 2007

HONG KONG: Oscar-winning director Ang Lee has tackled English period drama, kung fu and gay cowboy romance. Just don't expect him to make small talk at a dinner party.

The Taiwanese native, who won a best director Oscar last year for the gay love story "Brokeback Mountain," said in a TV interview that aired Saturday despite his celebrity, he's still extremely shy and struggles with social interaction.

"When I'm off the set, it's hard for me to carry a conversation. That's more difficult for me than making a movie," Lee said on the CNN program "Talk Asia."

"Making a movie, I have plans in my head. Somehow one way or another I manage to roll the camera and get something in the can. But off the set, at the dining table ... it's still awkward for me," he said.

Lee, 52, said if the conversation turns to movies he feels comfortable "momentarily," but "that's kind of about it."

"It's hard for me to feel comfortable socially. I'm always shy, it's just part of my character," he said.

Lee said being one of the most famous Chinese-speaking directors in the world is a tremendous burden.

"It's very uncomfortable for me. I'd rather not carry the torch, I'd rather be watching somebody else carry the torch. It's an incredible burden on my shoulder. But I'm passionate about making movies, so as far as I'm concerned, that's the duty I have," he said.

Lee recently released the Chinese-language spy thriller "Lust, Caution" which won the top Golden Lion prize at the recent Venice Film Festival. His other credits include "Hulk," the kung fu hit "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "Sense and Sensibility."

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/10/06/arts/AS-A-E-CEL-Ang-Lee.php
summertime

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject:

TakeTwo Ang Lee and 'The Birds'

Friday, October 5, 2007; Page WE39

Movies that never get old:"Persona," "North by Northwest" and "The Birds" -- "The more I look at it, the more sick it gets, and the more incredible the movie is."

Won't leave home without:"The picture of my family on my cellphone."

Drink of choice:"Water -- room temperature."

All-time favorite book:"The Red Pavilion," by Robert van Gulik.

What he wishes he'd known 10 years ago: How to be more focused. "I have a very short attention span. I free-associate a lot. If I started over again, I wish I could do less of that and learn how to focus more on the subject I'm reading, so I could acquire more knowledge."

Go-to comfort food: Noodle soup.

Favorite place in the world: New York. "That's where I chose to live and set my family."

Still on his life's to-do list:"Rest."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/04/AR2007100400904.html
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: