TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Ang Lee says he feared 'Lust, Caution' would offend many Chi

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Ang Lee says he feared 'Lust, Caution' would offend many Chi

Ang Lee says he feared 'Lust, Caution' would offend many Chinese

The Associated PressPublished: September 25, 2007

TAIPEI, Taiwan: Award-winning director Ang Lee said Tuesday he had feared many Chinese would be offended by his movie "Lust, Caution" because the spy thriller was not only about heroic deeds but also the dark side of human nature.

Lee was in his native Taiwan to promote the film, which received the top Golden Lion prize at the Venice Film Festival early this month. The movie is being shown in Taiwan without any cuts by censors, but received mixed reviews, especially about its sex scenes and violence.

"Lust, Caution," based on a short story by famed Chinese writer Eileen Chang, is about a group of patriotic students who plot to assassinate the intelligence chief in the Japanese-backed Chinese government during the World War II era.

"I first thought there was no way to make this short story into a film because there are many things in the story that Chinese would consider as immoral, such as sexual suggestions," Lee told reporters. "It depicted the dark side of the heroic deeds, things we would feel uncomfortable with."

"But then I felt it was my destiny (to make the film) ... and I decided to face it," he said.

Hong Kong actor Tony Leung Chiu-wai plays the intelligence official, Mr. Yi, while newcomer Tang Wei plays Chinese student Wang Jiazhi, who seduces Yi to pave the way for the assassination. The movie also features Chinese-American pop star Leehom Wang.

Lee said it was not as hard to guide Tang into playing the sex scenes because "as a newcomer, she had fewer barriers."

But leading Leung into the scenes "was an art itself," Lee said.

"It takes more skills to break the psychological defense of an experienced actor. He had his own judgment, and I must respect his professionalism, his talent and experience," Lee said. "We tested each other. But at the end he had no reservations, and I was very touched."

Lee said he designed the innovative sex positions out of his imagination. "Everyone has his subconsciousness, things you don't know so well. That's what we want to make into movies ... and I might have a pretty good imagination."

He said the sex scenes were necessary in depicting the complicated ties of the characters during a war.

An edited version of "Lust, Caution" with less sex and violence recently cleared Chinese censors. China doesn't have a ratings system, so Lee had to provide a version suitable for all ages.

He said he hoped Western audiences could accept the film after they get to know the historical and cultural background.

"The second part of the film is about sex and politics, themes recurrent" in many Western films, he said.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/09/25/arts/AS-A-E-MOV-Taiwan-Ang-Lee.php
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: