TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Ang Lee bows to China and self-censors award-winning film

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Ang Lee bows to China and self-censors award-winning film

BEIJING (AFP) - - Taiwanese director Ang Lee axed 30 minutes from his award-winning erotic spy thriller "Lust, Caution" to pass China's censorship rules and make it child friendly, state media reported Tuesday.

Lee, who on Saturday picked up his second Venice Film Festival Golden Lion for best picture for his new film, was told by Chinese authorities he had to cut out steamy scenes for mainland China's audience, Xinhua news agency said.

"Authorities told me that there was no film rating system on the mainland so they let me cut it," Xinhua quoted Lee as saying.

After snipping about 30 minutes of the film that had an original running time of two hours and 36 minutes, it became "relatively clean", Lee was quoted as saying.

"Children are able to watch it on the mainland."

The movie, a tense drama set in Japanese-occupied Shanghai in the 1940s, has been given the NC-17 rating in the United States, banning viewers under 17 from watching it.

But China has no film rating system, with its censor, the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television, arguing that "films not suitable for children are not suitable for adults," Xinhua said.

Lee said he "took pains" to cut the work himself but the integrity of the film was preserved.

"The spirit of the film remains despite the cutting," he said.

"For a viewer who has not watched the full version, the short version remains reasonable."

While sex scenes were of most concern, some violent scenes had also been cut, Xinhua said.

The film is set to open in China on October 26, according to Xinhua, a month later than its schedule opening date in late September around the world.

However, Xinhua highlighted comments posted on Internet chatrooms suggesting that the editing will drive audiences away from the cinema and encourage them to buy the full version on pirated DVDs instead.
Eri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject:

I've read the scene of brutal killing (but funny at the same time) is also going to be cut off from the Mainland China version to make it child friendly.

Although I understand it is no good showing these to children, it is very important to let the audience know how this experience changed those students.

I think Ang Lee is going to try very hard to preserve integrity of the film successfully in order to get a good reception from Chinese audience as well.
(That's his wish, I think)

It is sad if only pirated DVDs are sold well and people aren't going to cinemas. Crying or Very sad
Tony's fans should see both ! Wink
summertime

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Someone remarked to me the other day that it'd be interesting to see this version at Sprockets . . .
Info

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject:

Ang Lee confirmed that the final version shown in Mainland China would only have 7 mins short of the full version.
Eri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject:

Glad to hear about Ang Lee had to cut only 6 to 7 mins.
I am happy for Ang Lee, Tony and everyone who tried so hard to make a good film.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: