TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Lust, Caution heads to Toronto International Film Festival
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject:

Hi summertime,

I made it to the Lust Caution screening Sunday morning! I was outside (in the rain) in the rush line at 7:30am. The film was amazing but I was so disappointed when nobody showed up to introduce the film. I was hoping that Tony would come at the end for Q&A, but he didn't. Sad

While waiting in the rush line I saw a black SUV pull up, so thinking it might be Tony I went and got a closer look. I was utterly disappointed when David Schwimmer stepped out instead!

I even waited around his hotel for 2hrs, but all I saw was a grumpy looking Sean Penn. Sigh.

At least the movie was awesome!
linda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject:

Hi summertime,
Thanks for your report..lucky you on seeing Tony!
linda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject:

Hi sparkles_n15,
Sorry you didn't get to see Tony after all your efforts, I was disappointed myself that I didn't get to see Tony either when he came to NY.
As Info said, persistence is key....hopefully we will all get to meet Tony some day Smile
summertime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject:

Hi sparkles_n15,

Yeah, it's too bad about the Q&A. In the past, Ang Lee came and did the Q&A's for the 2nd showings.

LOL - David Schwimmer and Sean Penn - not bad sightings though LOL

Hi linda,

You're welcome, and my pleasure Smile

Hi superelva Smile

I'm not the best person to answer that question.

I saw an offbeat Hong Kong film called The Exodus directed by Pang Ho Cheung and starring Simon Yam. It was a world premiere, and it's about a cop who begins to suspect that there's a syndicate of women with the mission to kill all the men in the world LOL

I really liked the look of the film. The director was there for a Q&A, and it was the best Q&A so far because the director gave very complete answers. He spoke in Cantonese, and there was an interpreter present. He said it was his first time in Canada - he seemed to be an offbeat character himself, and was very funny at times.

Last edited by summertime on Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Info

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject:

Tony arrived Hong Kong today, and he would meet the press at the airport tomorrow before heading back to Beijing to continue the shooting of <Red Cliff>.
superelva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject:

Dear Info,
Thx for your notice ^0^

Dear Summertime
Thx for your reply ^0^
summertime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Hi Eri Smile

I must have missed your earlier reply.

Yes, it was disappointing about the Q&A, but I wasn't surprised, and had realistic expectations going in. A lot of the times, it's just the director that attends the subsequent screenings and does the Q&A.

The humour in Lust, Caution wasn't slapstick like in a lot of Hong Kong films - I think it was just very early in the morning. But the Friday night audience laughed in certain places that the Sunday morning audience didn't. I'm thinking of a couple of scenes - it likely had something to do with the energy of the room, and the timing of the jumps to a certain reaction shot and a certain subtitle.

I saw a Japanese film that I really liked called A Gentle Breeze in the Village directed by Nobuhiro Yamashita, who also directed Linda, Linda, Linda, which I absolutely loved when I saw it at a prior TIFF - so funny. Sometimes you need some lightness during the fest.

Oh yes, something else that I remember Ang Lee saying at the Lust, Caution screening. He mentioned that the film was long, and that he hoped everyone had already gone to the washroom Smile

I also watched Blood Brothers, and saw Chang Chen and Daniel Wu walk into Roy Thomson Hall. Chang Chen took a pic with the girl standing next to me - he looks exactly the same in real life as on screen, and Daniel Wu certainly is tall. The film itself was okay.

I ended up seeing 27 films in total, and was ready to fall over by the end of the festival. Guess I've got in my quota of films for the year LOL
Eri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject:

summertime wrote:
Hi Eri Smile

Yes, it was disappointing about the Q&A, but I wasn't surprised, and had realistic expectations going in. A lot of the times, it's just the director that attends the subsequent screenings and does the Q&A.

The humour in Lust, Caution wasn't slapstick like in a lot of Hong Kong films - I think it was just very early in the morning. But the Friday night audience laughed in certain places that the Sunday morning audience didn't. I'm thinking of a couple of scenes - it likely had something to do with the energy of the room, and the timing of the jumps to a certain reaction shot and a certain subtitle.

I saw a Japanese film that I really liked called A Gentle Breeze in the Village directed by Nobuhiro Yamashita, who also directed Linda, Linda, Linda, which I absolutely loved when I saw it at a prior TIFF - so funny. Sometimes you need some lightness during the fest.

Oh yes, something else that I remember Ang Lee saying at the Lust, Caution screening. He mentioned that the film was long, and that he hoped everyone had already gone to the washroom Smile

I also watched Blood Brothers, and saw Chang Chen and Daniel Wu walk into Roy Thomson Hall. Chang Chen took a pic with the girl standing next to me - he looks exactly the same in real life as on screen, and Daniel Wu certainly is tall. The film itself was okay.

I ended up seeing 27 films in total, and was ready to fall over by the end of the festival. Guess I've got in my quota of films for the year LOL

Thank you summertime for your reply.

You must have enjoyed so many films, lucky you !

I read some dialgue of students which was funny. The part I was thinking was "HK action star refuse to die". (Am I too cruel ? but it's like a black joke.) Rolling Eyes
Marie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Hi Summertime,

Quote:

I was curious about Blood Brothers. I keep running into references to it in some English language film sites (though I can never remember which ones) and was hoping it would be good. Too bad that it is just "okay". I have my eye on Chang Chen. I think he is about due for a major breakthrough performance sometime soon (though some think that happened with The Go Master, which still hasn't been released on DVD in the US so I haven't seen it yet). Whenever I see him on screen, I feel like he is so close to discovering his metal as an actor, and then he somehow misses it by such a tiny bit. It almost seems like he's blocked, somehow, and he just isn't totally free in his acting yet. There have been such high hopes for him for such a long time. I wonder if he will ever make that connection?

Marie
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: