TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

<Lust, Caution> won Golden Lion Award
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Info

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: <Lust, Caution> won Golden Lion Award

Congratulations! <Lust, Caution> won the Golden Lion Award in the 64th Venice Film Festival. The film also won the best photography!

Tony got 3 movies winning the Golden Lion Award: <City of Sadness>, <Cyclo> and <Lust, Caution>! Well done! Tony!

Last edited by Info on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject:

Wow - congrats to Ang Lee, Tony, Tang Wei etc. Smile
qqshao

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject:

congrats to Ang Lee &Tony

so excited to konw the news
nancix**

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: <Lust, Caution> won Golden Lion Award

Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations! TONY--------! Laughing

Now, at JAPAN, Sep 09, 2007 3:51 am.
Yesternight and Tonight,I every minute look Chinese site"sina.com.cn"'s flash report!!!
And I cross my fingers for TONY and Ang Lee!!

I remember your challenge spirit, Now I want see your best smile,TONY!!!

Last edited by nancix** on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject:

Congrats to Lust Caution!! So happy to hear they won the award! Very Happy
Sreyda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Ang Lee film is surprise winner in Venice
By Mike Collett-White and Silvia Aloisi

VENICE (Reuters) - Taiwanese director Ang Lee's sexually explicit "Lust, Caution" was the surprise winner of the Golden Lion for best picture at the Venice film festival on Saturday, just two years after he won with "Brokeback Mountain."

The movie is a World War Two thriller set in Shanghai featuring long and sometimes violent sex scenes which Lee has hinted were real.

"It is overwhelming, because this movie has taken me to some very difficult places," Lee told the red carpet award ceremony on the Lido waterfront.

"I have invited you to come along with me and in the end to stay down there with me ... You are the seven samurais, I needed your help," he added, addressing the seven-member jury.

Brian De Palma, whose "Redacted" shocked audiences in Venice with its brutal reconstruction of the real-life rape and murder of a 14-year-old Iraqi girl by U.S. soldiers, won the Silver Lion award for best director.

Tunisian-born director Abdellatif Kechiche and his drama "La Graine et le mulet" ("The Secret of the Grain"), was one of two runner-up jury prize winners, and was described by the jury as the "revelation" of the 2007 edition of the festival.

The film is about an old Arab man and his family seeking to realize their dream of opening a restaurant in southern France.

While not overtly political, it touches on the issue of integration by immigrants, and whether they have what the director called the "right to be different."

Todd Haynes' "I'm Not There," one of six U.S. productions in the 23-strong main competition, took the other runner-up prize for his conceptual biopic about singer-songwriter Bob Dylan.

In a bold piece of casting, Australian-born Cate Blanchett was one of six performers to play the singer at various stages of his life, and it paid off when she was named best actress in Venice this year.

Hollywood star Brad Pitt was the surprise winner of the best actor award for his portrayal of outlaw Jesse James in "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford."

His co-star, Casey Affleck, who played James' killer Ford as a creepy social misfit, had been widely expected to scoop the prize.

Venice director Marco Mueller, facing competition from festivals in Rome and Toronto, succeeded in attracting some of Hollywood's biggest stars, although his decision to invite so many U.S. films was criticized for making Venice too commercial.

Pitt and partner Angelina Jolie came to the canal city with their children, and George Clooney, Woody Allen, Johnny Depp, Charlize Theron and Keira Knightley all wowed the noisy crowds gathering along the red carpet each night.

Reuters
Source:http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070908/en_nm/venice_dc

Ang Lee sure has a way with words Cool Can't wait to watch it- since I saw the first trailer, I wanted to see it. Though, wonder what the reporter meant by "hinted it was real"?

a flash of lightning
in darkness catching in your hand
a paper candle
~Basho
Marie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ang Lee sure has a way with words Can't wait to watch it- since I saw the first trailer, I wanted to see it. Though, wonder what the reporter meant by "hinted it was real"?

Well, since the 70's, there have been rumors (and mostly untrue rumors) that certain actors actually engaged in intercourse during the filming of sex scenes. In an interview after the screening of the film, Ang Lee was asked the question: were the sex scenes real? He smiled and replied: you have seen the film, haven't you?

That has been the beginning of the assertion that the scenes were, in fact, "real" sex scenes. Given how carefully director Lee has prepared the female lead for her role in the film, his professionalism at every turn during filming and care not to exploit his stars in these scenes, I find it laughable that anyone is taking such an idea seriously. Also, Tony is a very professional and experienced actor. I can hardly imagine him doing anything like this, even in character. Actors have to be aware of the boundaries of their role at all time when they are doing heightened scenes, not only sex scenes, but also scenes of violence. An experienced actor always knows when to stop acting and pull back when things are getting beyond the margin of safety. We are talking about Tony Leung here, not, say, Colin Ferrell. Angel

Marie
Info

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Tony's answer to the question: "We are professional actors, they don't need me if they are doing for real".
Eri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject:

It is not surprising to me.

I think "Lust Caution" is really the best film by Ang Lee, and all the people involved did their best in their parts, so this should be unbiased result.
(I think Venice Film Festival is so used to non English films, using Chinese is not such a big disadvantage here.)

Also getting "the best photography" is a bonus, but considering all the frames of the movie are just like a beautiful picture, this fine work by Ang Lee and Rodrigo Prieto should be also deserved this.

Congratulations to Tony and everyone who made this film ! cheers

I am so Happy now. Very Happy
fireeater

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Congratulations...

Congratulations to Tony, Ang Lee and everyone involved in Lust, Caution.
We are all so happy for you Tony...

Cheers,
fireeater

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Congratulations !! TONY !
I am very happy to know this news .
TONY,
All of your fans are proud of you.
Marie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Yes, congratulations to everyone involved with Lust, Caution, in particular Ang Lee and Tony. Nice to hear that the cinematography also got an award. Sometimes the cream does rise to the top. It is great that this stellar effort has received official recognition. I couldn't be happier for Tony.

Marie
news

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to Ang Lee, Tony, and the rest of the crew for excellent work! Smile
summertime

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Ang Lee Wins Second Golden Lion

Ang Lee Wins Second Golden Lion

2007-09-09 06:44:35 Xinhua

Chinese director Ang Lee Saturday picked up the Venice Film Festival's Golden Lion for best picture for his spy thriller "Lust, Caution," just two years after taking the same award for "Brokeback Mountain."

This is the third consecutive year that a Chinese director has won the Golden Lion. Last year's best picture award went to Jia Zhangke for "Still Life."

Jia's "Wuyong", or 'Useless,' took the Orizzonti Doc Prize at this year's Venice Film Festival.

Lee's movie, called "Se, Jie" in Chinese, is set in the Japanese-occupied Shanghai in 1940s. The boldness of the sex scenes in the movie between a spy girl played by novice actress Tang Wei and powerful political figure played by Tony Leung became a major topic at the festival.

Jury president Zhang Yimou said Lee's movie has won applause from all of the seven-member jury. Lee had made an excellent integration of international resources while filming "Lust, Caution," which played an important role in winning him the award, he said.

Lee told the red carpet prize ceremony that the movie "has taken me to some very difficult places."

Lee said he was accepting the prize "in the shadow of the passing of two great giants, Michaelangelo Antonioni and Ingmar Bergman."

The director said he would like to dedicate the award to Bergman, whom he saw while working on "Lust, Caution". "Ingmar hugged me the way a mother hugs a child. This hug was not for me, it was for you, the keepers of cinema," he said.

Bergman died on July 30, and Antonioni of Italy one day later.

Lee also expressed his gratitude to Chinese viewers and his colleagues in Hong Kong, saying that he hoped to share the award with all Chinese.

Tunisian-born director Abdellatif Kechiche's immigration drama "La Graine et le Mulet" ("The Secret of the Grain") had been the pre-award favorite for the Golden Lion.

It took away one of two runner-up jury prizes, while the other was won by U.S. director Todd Haynes for his "I'm Not There."

LIST OF THE MAIN WINNERS

GOLDEN LION FOR BEST FILM
"Lust, Caution" by Chinese director Ang Lee

SILVER LION FOR BEST DIRECTOR
"Redacted" by U.S. director Brian De Palma

SPECIAL JURY PRIZES
1. Tunisia-born director Abdellatif Kechiche for "La Graine et Le Mulet" ("The Secret of the Grain")
2. U.S. director Todd Haynes for "I'm Not There"

SPECIAL GOLDEN LION FOR BODY OF WORK
Russian director Nikita Mikhalkov

BEST ACTOR
U.S. actor Brad Pitt for "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"

BEST ACTRESS
Australian Cate Blanchett for "I'm Not There"

BEST YOUNG ACTOR OR ACTRESS
French actor Hafsia Herzi for "The Secret of the Grain"

BEST SCREENPLAY
British Paul Laverty for Ken Loach's "It's a Free World..."

ORIZZONTI PRIZE
"Sugisball" (Autumn Ball) by Veiko Ounpuu of Estonia

ORIZZONTI DOC PRIZE
"Wuyong" (Useless) by Jia Zhangke of China

SPECIAL MENTION:
"Death in the Land of Encantos" by Lav Diaz of the Philippines

http://english.cri.cn/3086/2007/09/09/1221@271755.htm
Info

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Tony and Tang Wei were in Toronto promoting <Lust, Caution> when Ang Lee received the Golden Lion Award in Venice. They were very excited when they heard the good news, and jumping up and down like kids.

Tony said "I am very happy that <Lust, Caution> won the Golden Lion Award. As a member of the team, I am deeply honoured. Congratulations to Ang Lee and everyone working in the movie, and thank you for the audiences' support to the movie."

Tony is trying to take leave from <Red Cliff> to promote <Lust, Caution> in Hong Kong and Taiwan later this month.

梁朝偉陪李安榮歸台灣

李安憑《色,戒》勇奪威尼斯金獅獎,當時身在多倫多宣傳影片的梁朝偉及湯唯,當場興奮大叫。偉仔昨天向《赤壁》方面度期,希望能陪伴李安衣錦榮歸返回台灣,他透過澤東公司說:「非常高興影片威尼斯大獎,身為呢部戲一分子,我深感榮幸,恭喜李安同所有工作人員,亦多謝觀眾對我們支持。」
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: