TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

What kind of music do you listen to?

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: What kind of music do you listen to?

Tony's fans are such a diverse, international group, I thought it would be interesting to know what music you like to listen to.

I listen to a lot of music, in many different styles:
Flamenco
Argentine Tango
Classical--especially Early Music, Renaissance and Baroque and, conversely, very modern composers like Bartok, Osvoldo Golijov and Tan Dun (things like his Water Passion and the opera "First Emperor" more than his film scores)
Iranian classical music
North African classical music
among "pop" artists, I especially like Daniel Lanois and Rachid Taha

I love any good music I come across, whatever the style. There are many other styles I listen to, but this is what I have been listening to most in recent months.

Marie
marsha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Hi Marie!! I love listening to the music of Mariah Carey, Usher, Alicia Keys, Rain, and Wang Lee Hom. Basically these artists sing R n B, ballads, and dance tunes. There are times when I am kind a feeling sentimental, I listen to Julia Fordham. At times, when I am in a groovy mood, I listen to D Sound ( an acid jazz group from Norway ) and Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Have a nice day!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject:

Hi Marie,
I like to listen to pop/soft rock music and R n B stuff...but anything that sounds good really....
Some of my favourite singers would be Celine Dion, Sarah Mclaughlan, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera....I'm actually listening to Fergies cd which is very good too. I love the songs Glamourous and Big Girls Don't Cry.

I also love to listen to chinese music, my very favourite being Jacky Cheung....I like Tonys music too...Andy Lau, Sammi Cheng, Kelly Chen...
Marie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Hi Linda,

It is very interesting to learn what others are listening to, this is very much part of what they bring to their enjoyment of Tony's films.

Quote:
also love to listen to chinese music, my very favourite being Jacky Cheung....I like Tonys music too...Andy Lau, Sammi Cheng, Kelly Chen...

I don't really know much about Chinese pop music (I think they call it Canto-pop in English). But I did see a clip of a live performance by Leslie Cheung on YouTube the other day, and I was very impressed. That man was a great pop singer, though I have to say that the style of his music wasn't exactly to my taste. But there was no denying his talent and his ability to deliver a song with finesse, emotion and flair. What a shame that he committed suicide. The world lost a great talent and a very special human-being. I'm watching "Farewell, My Concubine" right now and his performance is mesmerizing. I wonder, was that a role that he particularly identified with?

Marie
Kerilyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Hi Marie Smile
I love the Beatles, they are the best band that ever was, "Abbey Road" is my favourite album.
I also like Nat King Cole, Simon & Garfunkel, Faye Wong, Coldplay and Eason Chan. Jacky Cheung has such a great voice but I don't like a lot of his songs, especially his recent ones. My mum has a Leslie Cheung tape, but I never got into him. I like classical music too, but I don't know the specifics :/

great question!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Hi Kerilyn,

Quote:
My mum has a Leslie Cheung tape, but I never got into him.

Uhm... I bet I'm about your mom's age. Razz Without necessarily liking the style of music he sang, I have to say I absolutely love Leslie Cheung as a performer. (I've succumbed to Leslie Cheung worship--all it took was one viewing of Farewell, My Concubine.) Funny, his performances for Wong Kar-Wai (Days of Being Wild and Happy Together (with Tony)) didn't hit me like Farewell did. Strange, how performers get under your skin for the first time. With Tony, it was definitely ITMFL and those eyes that said soooo much, all that suppressed passion, the hurt. I just wanted to take him home and show him that there was at least one woman who could love poor, sad Mr. Chow. Cool

Marie
Kerilyn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject:

nah, I'm nearly 18, my mum's 56. I actually haven't seen any Leslie Cheung films yet, I think I'll make "Happy Together" my next movie to watch. I'm such a lazy film fan, I haven't even seen all the WKW films, yikes!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm nearly 18, my mum's 56

Well, Kerilyn, you're mom has a few years on me, but I'm still no spring chicken. Rolling Eyes

As far as Happy Together, I just want to warn you that it has some pretty strong scenes. For starters, there is the scene of Leslie and Tony having vigorous, simulated sodomy. Then there is the emotional struggle between the two men that runs throughout almost the entire film, with lots of yelling and lovers behaving badly. Furthermore, the Buenos Aires depicted in the film is quite unsavory and seedy. The scenes that Tony had to shoot in the slaughter house were apparently quite hard emotionally and physically for him. According to a crew member, he had to get drunk before they shot these scenes to get through them. I've seen a lot of life, but some of these scenes still hit me in the pit of my stomach. They were meant to be shocking and you would have to be a pretty hardened individual not to be effected. Some of these images may haunt you for years to come if you see them for the first time at 17. (I saw a movie at your age that had some quite horrific scenes of incinerated corpses and it took me a long time to get those images out of my mind . Some things just get burned into your retina and stay with you forever.) Of course, now that I've given you the scoop on Happy Together, you're probably more interested than ever in seeing it. Only you can know when you are ready to see something like this. Whenever you see it, you will be profoundly effected by this film.

Marie
kaya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Music

After working in the music industry for almost ten years, I've been exposed to many different kinds of music. I always believed music has a way of communicating to one another. It's absolutely amazing how one doesn't need to speak the language the song is based on. It's what touches you inside of yourself.
Marie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject:

Hi Kaya,

Quote:
After working in the music industry for almost ten years, I've been exposed to many different kinds of music. I always believed music has a way of communicating to one another. It's absolutely amazing how one doesn't need to speak the language the song is based on. It's what touches you inside of yourself.

I couldn't agree with you more. I've been watching some Leslie Cheung videos on You Tube the past few days and, even though I don't understand a word he is singing, I am blown away by his live performances. The best singers can communicate, whatever language they are singing in, if they sing from the heart. I have experienced this over and over again. You don't even have to be particularly fond of the style of music they are singing, a great performer will bowl you over anyway.

Marie
kaya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject:

I too, don't speak or understand Cantonese well even though I am of Asian descent. I still manage to find some of the Cantopop music absolutely beautiful.

I love all sorts of music- from BritPop, Reggae, some American-pop (most of it is absolute trash!), Classical, Operetta, some country, some blues, some salsa, even Korean music, basically some of everything. It's always good to be open about the types of music that's out there. You could end up learning alittle about someone else's culture.

Musical
Marie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Well said, Kaya.

Quote:
It's always good to be open about the types of music that's out there. You could end up learning alittle about someone else's culture.

Or their heart and soul (and usually your own, too). I discovered a fantastic modern classical-tango-jazz composer about 3 years ago. His music is very avant-garde and doesn't fit any category. He puts a lot of himself, however, into his compositions and his performances (he is also a very good, classically trained pianist). I listened to his music and felt like I was developing this very intimate understanding of the composer/performer. I contacted him through his web site and we began to correspond. I discovered that his music hadn't lied, that what he is in his music, this is what he is in his life. After 18 months of this correspondence, I visited him in New York and attended one of his shows. (It was a very intimate performance that he put on especially for me, with some of his friends in attendance.) He is every bit as beautiful a person as his compositions are beautiful. Real artists, those who use everything that they are as their medium of expression, give you a very rarified part of themselves. It is especially actors and musicians who do this since their medium is a piece of themselves that they shape and split and refract to create their art. Tony Leung is one of those actors who, over the years, has discovered how to be himself and be someone else when he is in character. Something very deep and true underpins every character he gives us as an actor now. That is why I count Tony as one of those special artists, like my composer/musician friend in New York.

Marie
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: