TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

20 Mar 2007 Tony attended 1st Asian Film Awards

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Schedule
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Info

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: 20 Mar 2007 Tony attended 1st Asian Film Awards

Tony interviewed by media.

Video: mms://mediafile.netandtv.com/mediafile/200703/liangchaoweimeiti.wmv

Tony Leung on Being a Shy Movie Star

It may seem strange at first that Tony Leung Chiu Wai should have been picked as honorary ambassador for the Hong Kong International Film Festival 2007. Despite his fame, Tony Leung emerged as a shy, retiring person in an interview with Cho Sung-kyu, the head of Sponge Entertainment, on behalf of Chosun Ilbo. Excerpts follow.
The movie “Infernal Affairs,” in which you played a leading part, was remade as “The Departed“ by Martin Scorsese and won an Oscar. What do you think were the differences between the original and the remake? What is your impression of Leonardo DiCaprio, who played your role in the remake?

- Before I talk about the differences, I'd like to say I'm a huge fan of Martin Scorsese. I became a fan when I saw “Taxi Driver” and “Raging Bull.” His directing style is so unique that I can’t assert the differences from “Infernal Affairs.” Briefly, “Infernal Affairs” is emotional while “The Departed” is realistic. It’s too difficult to compare myself with DiCaprio. He’s a good actor. We are just different because we've grown up and learned in different circumstances.

Most of your characters are sensitive and vulnerable men. What about your real character?

- Actually, I’m quiet and shy. I think movie characters are the same as my real personality. Especially when I’m in front of many people, I become really shy. If I get hurt, I just try to forget it. Seriously, I don't know any other way to handle it.

You've made many films with director Wong Kar-Wai. Why do you like working with him?

-It’s great fun. We've known each other for a long time, so that makes it easy for me to work with him. I don't know why other actors or actresses feel uncomfortable filming with him. Maybe it’s because he doesn't use scripts. But because there’s no fixed frame in directing, actors can have more freedom acting. He can turn anything -- whether its music, painting or literature -- into film.

You make fewer foreign movies than other Chinese actors do like Chow Yun Fat or Gong Li.

-I don’t just make movies in Hong Kong. I’ve made movies with directors from other countries including Hou Hsiao Hsien, Tran Ahn Hung and Ang Lee. I don't insist on working with Hong Kong people. If it’s a good movie, I don't care whether it’s made in Hollywood. I recently finished a film with Ang Lee, and he’s now editing it in New York.

What else do you like except movies? Do you have hobbies or enjoy sports?

I love sports. I like playing ping pong. I play every day. I also like snowboarding and skiing. But I haven’t been able to enjoy outdoor sports as much as I used to since I got hurt.

What is the meaning of movies to you?

Movie to me is fun. It’s a short answer, but it really is for me.

(englishnews@chosun.com )

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200703/200703210017.html

Last edited by Info on Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:36 pm; edited 7 times in total
Info

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Tony attended the the first Asian Film Awards in the capacity of the Entertainment Ambassador.

Video:

Red Carpet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pymRSCtxweA (Tony appeared in 15 mins)

Opening ceremony: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZQ_e_SAwcM
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Schedule All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: