TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Why don't you talk about Tony's other great films?

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloudburst

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Why don't you talk about Tony's other great films?

Hi, everyone, I'm new here.
Glad to find an English fan site for Tony.

I am just curious WHY you don't talk about other films like
Love Unto Waist
Hard Boiled
City of Sadness
Cyclo
Doctor Mack aka Mack The Knife
Longest Nite

I think that in the Chinese website we consider them as Tony's great films except those directed by WKW.
For example, City of Sadness is one of the landmarks of Chinese film history and also tony's acting career.
In the "Longest Nite" Tony appeared as a bad corrupt cop, the cool and cruel role.
All the girls including me love “Doctor Mack” because of the warmth, happiness and sadness in it.
They are worth seeing to learn Tony's perfect performance and to enjoy good films.

So why do I find few reviews and remarks of these films?
Just curious, I wish I do not offend anyone here.

Sorry for my poor English. English is not my mother language.
Pungyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Hi Cloudburst,

We do talk about Tony's other films... but I suppose we just dwell on the bigger ones. I also loved Dr. Mack... a bit of a rebel doctor... and Hard Boiled is THE movie that made me sit up and take notice of this very talented actor!

Keep coming back and I'm sure we'll cover all of his films as topics eventually!!

And by the way, I think your English is splendid! thumbleft

-K
cloudburst

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: re

Thank you for your reply:)
I am really happy to read your post.

Pungyo wrote:
Hi Cloudburst,
We do talk about Tony's other films... but I suppose we just dwell on the bigger ones.

IMHO, those films are also big ones...

"Doctor Mack" is more than a rebel doctor or comedy. As for me, it's a film about idealism and reality. Please don't ask me why. I am affraid that I cannot express it well in English. The film moves me every time when I saw it.

In a interview, Tony also referred to Doctor Mack. The director gave more freedom to tony at that time than ever, when he portray the ambivalent doctor. I always wonder whether the thoughts and feelings of Doctor Mack lie in the body of Tony. Maybe they are parts of him. When Tony broke into tears in the sad song, depth of the emotion make me cry and have a heartache. The film is special for many Tony's fans.

"Hard Boiled" ! I totally agree with you! It is a masterpiece.
I saw the film when I was young. I was greatly impressed by all the scenes of Tony. So incredible, so handsome:)

Some of my friends (especially Tony's male fans) think "Longest Nite" more delicate, complicated, subtle and gloomy than "Infernal Affairs". I love IA too, but I guess they are right. Admittedly, there are some plot holes in IA. The diffence is that "Longest Nite" is more fatalistic while "Infernal Affairs" is the tragic style. Anyway, Tony's performance in both LN and IA is amazing.

If anyone wonders how versatile Tony is, I really think "Longest Nite" is one of the best choices. The first time when I saw "LN", I couldn't believe my eyes! Tony is neither kind or nice in the film. His role, the bad and cruel cop, makes me feel cold from the bottom of my heart.

"Longest Nite" didn't gain the deserved reputation in 1997, which doesn't mean it commonplace. It all happens during one night. The story with an unhappy end is quite violent and dark (It doesn't glorify violence), but the plot is full of surprise and intension and absolutely worth seeing. I think the film is serious and a little hard to follow. For English-speaker, it will be better to see more than one time.
Peachtree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: City of Sadness

I'd LOVE to see A City of Sadness, but the only version I can find is in Mandarin with only Chinese subtitles.

Does anyone have a source for a version with English subtitles?
Kanako

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: City of Sadness is an absolute masterpiece.

I think City of Sadness is the best film Tony has ever starred in.
Yeah it may not be Tony's best act, but as a film, City of Sadness is definitly the best one. (At least I think so.)

Every single shot in that movie has a kind of ... 'strength' as welll as a poetic sentiment that no other form of art can convey.
(If I compare one randomly chosen shot in City of Sadness with...say, a shot in Infernal Affairs, the difference may be obvious. IA is a really good movie that might survive a few decades. But I think City of Sadness might well survive a century.)
Hou Hsiao-Hsing is such a great director.

I'm a BIG fan of WKW, but still I think City of Sadness is better as a movie than any of WKW films.
Kanako

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: And...

Although above I said "it may not be Tony's best act," actually I think Tony's performance in A City of Sadness is really good. His quiet performance is soooo touching.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: