TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Christopher Doyle: The Man with the Eye

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Christopher Doyle: The Man with the Eye

The Man with the Eye
Edgy Cinematographer Defies Culture and Style

Written by Zen for her school paper, Thanks for sharing!

Christopher Doyle has long been a professional in the film industry. Although he admits he didn’t pick up a camera his late 20s, viewers may think otherwise. The outcome of his art direction in the films has proven to be beautiful and tastefully done.

Before Doyle’s stay in the film industry, the Australian native left his birthplace at 18 and pursued a string of odd jobs. During his life, he has been a well digger in India, a Norwegian merchant marine, a cow herder on an Israel commune, and a doctor specializing in Chinese medicine in Thailand, as reported in an archive article on timeasia.com.

During his stay in Asia, Doyle’s life changed dramatically. In the late 70s, Doyle changed his name to Du KeFeng (though he also goes by Chris Doyle in film credits) because of his professor at the University of Hong Kong and, now considers himself Chinese. As he declared in an article on asiaweek.com, he’s not a Westerner at all but a “Chinese with a skin disease.”

In Asia, Doyle launched his debut as a cinematographer in a film titled That Day on the Beach. He then hit the road and left Asia to do some work in France because he was “afraid that Taiwan’s relatively modest film industry might stunt my career,” he said. As reported in timeasia.com, Doyle felt that he was more at home in Asia and returned to Hong Kong to work on other films.

Doyle’s unique camera work, as many critics have unanimously agreed on, is “moody, mysterious and mesmeric,” reported one critic’s review. In Asia, he worked with several talented Chinese directors, such as Zhang Zimou (mainly known in the U.S. for Hero and the fairly recent House of Flying Daggers) but it is his partnership with his longtime friend Wong Kar-wai that has wowed audiences and critics.

Wong, one of the most important and influential directors in Chinese cinema, and Doyle have teamed up seven times and their films have been regulars at several film festivals around the world, including the Cannes Film Festival and the Venice Film Festival.

In 2000, it was Doyle’s turn to take the prize at Cannes where he picked up the Technical Jury prize for In the Mood for Love.

In December of 2001, Doyle took the cinematography award for the film at the New York Film Festival Critics prize, according to a magazine article of asiaweek.com.

Doyle confesses to being a hard-drinking, hardpartying, cry cinematographer, and critics have suggested that this has been visible through his works. In Doyle’s art direction in Chungking Express, the shots were jerky and fast-paced. At the Sydney Film Festival, film producer and presenter Karena Slaninka described the film as a “warts-and-all portrait of an alcoholic” as reported at asiaweek.com.

In another case of alcohol influencing Doyle, Wong recalls during the shooting of the martial arts fantasy Ashes of Time. Doyle got so drunk that he failed to wake up in time on the final day of filming. According to Wong, he felt so guilty that he “grabbed the camera and ran into the middle of the burning set to get the last, best shots.” Although directors would be horrified at Doyle’s free flowing use of alcohol, that aspect seems to be a part of Doyle’s quirks and the way he works.

Doyle’s reckless energy is also appreciated in Hollywood, the most recent being Hero. He has worked with Gus Van Sant in Psycho and Barry Levinson in Liberty Heights.

However, despite his universal success in Europe and the U.S., Doyle mainly works in Asian-based films but is not afraid to try something different.

Doyle is a “talented but tormented soul, driven to drink through living on the edge of his art and in exile from family,” reported asiaweek.com.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject:

The piece is very well written Zen.
Zen

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Guest! It's always nice to hear feedback from the readers.

--Thich Nhat Han
Pungyo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Good Work, Zen!

This was very interesting... I love seeing films through Chris Doyle's "eyes"... he usually has some breathtaking shots that make the film absolutely spectacular! That's why I'm not sure if it's the director or Christopher Doyle, the cinematographer, that makes me love a film so much!

But, I had to laugh when he described himself as a "Chinese with a skin disease!" Because I feel the same way! Laughing

My Chinese/American boyfriend says I'm more "Chinese" than HE is!! Shocked (By the way, I'm from mixed European heritage.)

Well, isn't there a saying that EVERYONE was Chinese in their past lives? I guess some of us feel it more than others! Dancing

-K
Zen

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Pungyo, I know exactly what you're saying. My own ancestory has an odd combination of the Eastern Asia. I'm half-Vietnamese and half-Chinese but I feel that the Chinese culture interests me and influences me more.

You all have a nice day!

--Thich Nhat Han
Evie

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Chinese people

Pungyo wrote:
Well, isn't there a saying that EVERYONE was Chinese in their past lives? I guess some of us feel it more than others!

Pungyo,
I don't know whether I have ever been a Chinese in one of my past lives (Chinese civilization goes way back....), who knows I might have!

But what I DO know is; that initially because of Tony, and then by talking to this forum with several Asian friends... I have grown to "love" China and its people!

I love you guys....(hug) Giving a kiss
Gathoni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese people

Evie wrote:
But what I DO know is; that initially because of Tony, and then by talking to this forum with several Asian friends... I have grown to "love" China and its people!

I love you guys....(hug) Giving a kiss

Evie, you always echo what's in my heart and mind....

love you guys! In Love

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese people

Gathoni wrote:

This is the nice thing with this forum, besides our mutual admiration for Tony, we came and we've made "friends" here! thumbleft
Pungyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject:

I agree with Evie... there are some very, VERY nice people here... it's such a pleasure to write and interact with all of you!!

Hopefully, one day we'll be able to meet each and everyone! Maybe at a big fan party for Tony!! Dancing

-K
Gathoni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Pungyo wrote:
I agree with Evie... there are some very, VERY nice people here... it's such a pleasure to write and interact with all of you!!

Hopefully, one day we'll be able to meet each and everyone! Maybe at a big fan party for Tony!! Dancing

-K

Pungyo, your right on the mark thumbright Exclamation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese people

Evie wrote:
Gathoni wrote:

This is the nice thing with this forum, besides our mutual admiration for Tony, we came and we've made "friends" here! thumbleft

You're right Gal! we've made this forum what it is, friendliness begets friendliness and that's what you get when you come to TLCW! Long live the forum! angel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject:

Pungyo wrote:

Wouldn't it be really very nice, if we could ever meet...?!
thumbleft
Gathoni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject:

yeah, one day, one time....... God williing......
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: