TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Days of Being wild

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karengoh

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Days of Being wild

Well, I have a question to ask on DOBW. I used to read that Tony is in this movie. Recently when I watched again, I found that he is only at the very last part of the movie.

Is this the original version. Is Tony suppose to have a role in DOBW?
All I can see is Leslie, Carina, Maggie and Andy. even I watched the movie for the 3rd time without blinking my eyes. I also catch the glimpse of Tony at the end only.

Do I miss anything here?.
Looney Tune

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject:

You didn't miss anything. Tony appeared only at the end. Although he was in it for only a few minutes, his performance caught everybody's attention (well, certainly caught my attention if not anybody else Wink ).

I think he was meant to have a role in it. Remembered him saying in an interview that he had to eat 27 pears to re-shoot a scene for WKW. Apparently he was so crushed that he lost confidence on his own performance. Crying or Very sad

I think in one of the interviews, he said that he wanted to be there for Carina (she was going through a tough patch) and so did not continue filming. Not too sure if it is this movie. Correct me if I am wrong,
karengoh

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Looney for the clarification or else I would think I have been seeing things.

When you said 27 pears it mean reshoot 27 times. Oh gosh it really crush him. Poor guy. But he really made an impression for himself with such little time.
7thclouds

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: the very perfect (maybe containing spoiler for DOBW, IMFL..

Hi ya there all
When I watched the movie, Days of being wild (hereafter DOBW) in a theatre in tokyo in 1994 firstly, I simply expected to watch Tony!!! since that was a Tony Leung festival weeks ....
I was waiting...waiting...and finally found that the fabulous last moments of the film were waiting for me!

And ...,as Loonytune wrote, yes, if you watched the last scene you did not lose anything about Tony in that movie. And that was, still, amazing moments of perfect in his acting carrier...
Imagine...the thick atmosphere...very much impressionism of the delicate intricate Tony's each move in the last of the movie that stimulates us to think of the whereabouts of the gambler or smirk who is/was near of Yuddi (Leslie) in the film?

I actually cannot stop wondering when the character in DOBW is/was going to across with the Chow (Tony)...in 2046 (and IMFL).
When Chow was staying in Philippine ....before or after Singapore? and - AS you know.. - and when Chow met with Mimi (Carina)...

You know WKW film is like a merry go round... or like a round theatre...

"round and round and round...and circle game...(by Joni Michelle in the film....Strawberry Paper)

Then, well...I wonder to know how was or was there any possible involvement between Yuddi and smirk or ...maybe Chow in DOBW...????

The, therefore, last vivid serene moments in DOBW were also one of my favourite amongst Tony’s acting expression since it is highly imaginative in telling lots of colourful varied lines which could have been pictured into the film. I actually expected WKW may start shooting another story relating to DOBW...How the smirk was (or Chow was) in Philippine...

This is a kinda treasure box ...of filming...
Many of layered stories about Chow ....

Actually I watched a bit of making in DOBW DVD this year....and watched a very little bit of alternative takes. Those scnes were between Chow(Tony) and Su Lizhen(Maggie) ...in that room with the low sealing...where the last scenes Tony appeared in the film DOBW.

I supposed that there was another story line relating Chow and Su Lizhen in DOBW but finally all those scenes were gone but the beautiful stylish moments. The serene move of combing...the obscure warm lighting in the humid thick atmosphere... that all gives audience the taste of the smirk's life... The stint of self-imposed self-conscious compromised shallowness in pleasures or cheerfulness in the role's frustrating life...which reflected the smirk's style in narrowly avoiding such devastativeness out which Yuddi inevitably lashed, in contrast, I suppose.

No explanation but only with Tony's perfect in perfection.

Maybe someday those scenes can be seen in another movie about Chow?
Don’t know.

goodday dearest tony love and all
7thclouds(mari t)
Looney Tune

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject:

There was intention to film a continuation to DOBW (which is why there is a teaser of Tony at the end), but somehow it didn't materialise.

After all those years, I think WKW did eventually did it with ITMFL and 2046. As he said in an interview, the three film should be watch together. After watching 2046, if you want to know more about Su Li Zhen and Chow Mo Wan, you watch ITMFL. And if you want to know more about Mimi (or Lulu), you watch DOBW. I suppose it follows that the Tony at the end of DOBW is Chow Mo Wan.
7thclouds

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: merry go rounding...Tony in WKW films

Hypothesis : Chow = smirk in DOBW presumably could be correct... Smile
When I simply watched DOBW quite ago, I was thrilled with the perfection of Tony. After I watched 2046 then a little later on IMFL and then DOBW again this year by DVD... I just cannot stop thiking, as I wrote above, if that Chow is the smirk...in DOBW..

The merry go rounding around the all those films is one of pleasures of watching Tony in WKW films... Smile

Even, when I watched Happy Together for the second time in a theatre in Tokyo last month, I felt some sort of linkage between wing (Leslie) in Happy together and Yoddi in DOBW... while pondering what if, I felt, wing was living in Argentine with the smirk i mean later Chow - Tony?before wing came to Phillipine....
Well...just thoughts.
In interviews, Tony and WKW told that 2046 is linked with DOBW... not only with 2046. At that stage, I had not watched IMFL and just watched and felt the 2046 as it is. After I re-watched DOBW later again, I enjoyed the journey from the smirk to the Chow...
Then, happy together maybe not supposed to link with DOBW... mmm?.... Anyway enjoy watching all tony films! cheers

have a beautiful night all
have a fine day, good time in USA, dearest Tony love and all
7thclouds(mari t)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Happy Together is not related to DOBW in any way...o__o right? haha
i'm pretty sure about this. since i'm a die hard fan of Leslie. lol. and i know things about him. haha

i don't understand why Tony is on the cover of the movie, when he is not even a big role. o___o

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: the meaning of the last scenes made the film whole

hi ya there
Thanks... then there is no interview comments which indicated any link between Yuddi and win... well i can understand ...
well... what i meant...is i just cannot stop wondering or pralleling Yuddi and win in a kind of wonder land... win could have been escaped from such lushed in... and coincidently met with the smirk - turned to be Lai ...since in Happy Together... win and lai came from same asian country to argentine and lost in direction be with...

then...well i just probably would like to wonder as if leslie might be living on this globe somewhere in a different form... (i know leslie died)

btw... well, the last scene is something splendid to be remarked renowned amongst all films in terms of the Tony's detaled exquisite delecate expression...that i believe....such as a very renowned fabulous short novel cannot fail to be recognised amongst critiques and audience.
Then, no wonder the cover of the movie showed Tony and that scenes deserve not only from the point of view relating the quality and excellenc of Tony's expression but also relating the importance and weigh in order to understand the film, the days of being wild itself.
The meaning of the last scenes by Tony, as I wrote in this thread and I will stress again later in this writing, determines the nature of the film itself. The last scenes by Tony made the film complete and much worth in making contrasting the way of Yuddi and the smirk...(or win and Lai...in Happy together..)that made the film the days of being wild whole...!!!!! that is something which i cannot fail to stress more when i think and write about DOBW....

Those Tony scenes made the whole film quite much worth to watch or to buy the DVD. Very Happy
This is not only from my fan royalty but my objective neutral film critique thoughts.

In fact, someone reported in this site about some audience in Chicago or somewhere in the USA who applaused the last scenes by Tony after the audience watched the film, Days of being wild...When the audience left the theatre... the audience applaused the last scenes and wondered the name of the actor of the last scenes of DOBW, (off course Tony Leung Very Happy ) even the audience in the USA did not know Tony Leung...at all...

I myself, as I wrote already in this site, I was thrilled and relieved by the last scene when I watched the film DOBW for the first time in a theatre in Tokyo while ago. Off course at that time, I have already been a big fan of Tony but I was moved by the last scenes not only because of my fan royalty or deep affection for Tony but because of the hope that last scenes cast.

I think the scenes of Tony indicated that there is always a better way to let you move on in believing that there must be a good reason to stick with for being alive another day.....even that would be distant goal... so move on to live another day good for that reason...even if you are desperate or even if you cannot live you with your full potential or even you cannot be with someone you truely love and devote, right now.
Smile

goodday all
have a goodnight dearest tony love Smile and all
7thclouds(mari t)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Come to think of it. I kind of agree with both of you, Looney and cloud.
I always think those movies have missing parts and its like you are missing something in between. But if you have watched all those movies. Yeah in a way they are connected. Razz
7thclouds

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: merry go rounding or reversible jigssow puzzle...

Quote:
Yeah in a way they are connected.

Very Happy yeah.. Very Happy

I think... WKW films are just like a couple of sets of reversible jigssow puzzles that are prefect with Happy together...but also perfect at the side of DOBW...and so on... IMFL.... and reached to the gramorous sensitibity with splendid shades in the poignance...of 2046.

But maybe for some it might be difficult to find the very right piece of the right side to the right jigssow complete picture...even s/he is happy with the jigssow itself.....wondering there must be something to deep down more...more to come to or more to go into.

In such fabulous mazes... Laughing Tony perfectly always swims out the flood of diverse layered/scattered humane natures with his perfect excellence in acting/extracting/expressing humane natures of each characters
through himself, his experience, how Tony feels, sees or live everyday all in his life, for specifically each film-intention/core,
without missing out and without misfilling any wrong piece of jigssow or wrong side of pieces of jigssow puzzles into wrong jigssow puzzle pitcures...completion.
Tony surely always, off course, grasps the very theme of the movie then express them with his all senses/moves and thoughts in depth with happiness...in acting

amazing cheers rather gorgeous.... to feel Tony's joy in acting live in such excellence at the same era.
I would like to say I am happy to live at the same time with Tony Leung.

goodday dearest tony love and all
7thclouds(mari t)[/quote]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject:

Looney Tune wrote:
You didn't miss anything. Tony appeared only at the end. Although he was in it for only a few minutes, his performance caught everybody's attention (well, certainly caught my attention if not anybody else Wink ).

Tony's performance in that movie really stood out. As good as L.C, M.C in the movie, Tony made them forgettable.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: