TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Tony Leung in the mood for acting

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Tony Leung in the mood for acting

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-04/21/content_2857757.htm
Tony Leung in the mood for acting

www.chinaview.cn 2005-04-21 09:09:41

BEIJING, April 21 -- Described as Asia's Clark Gable and a heart-throb film star in Hong Kong, Tony Leung has obtained many film awards in the past few years, including "Best Actor" at the Cannes Film Festival and most recently the Hong Kong Film Award for his role in the futuristic romance "2046."

He is now preparing for his next major role - a biopic of the master of kung fu, the legendary Bruce Lee.

The film is to be directed by his old partner, Wong Kar-wai.

Off screen, the reserved Leung prefers to lead a simple life.

And while working, one of his greatest pleasures is just "enjoying the charming moments of film making," he told Xinhua in an exclusive interview last week.

With more than 20 years of acting experience behind him, Leung has played a variety of characters.

"I like to be cast in different roles as each of them is interesting."

He won "Best Actor" at the Cannes Film Festival in 2000 for his role in the film "In the Mood for Love," and "Best Actor" for the film "2046," at the 24th Hong Kong Film Awards in March.

His devotion to acting and expression of feelings on screen have won praise in film circles in Hong Kong and worldwide.

Asked why he particularly likes to work with the so-called "cult" Hong Kong film director Wong Kar-wai, Leung said they have established a relationship of mutual trust, and Wong's film making team is hard to beat in terms of their professionalism.

Wong, said the actor, has only one aim, that is to make good and enjoyable movie.

Leung said he particularly enjoyed Wong's challenging style of film-making.

If new concepts or ideas come up, he responds and is not fazed by them, said Leung.

Asked how he handles the various roles he has played, Leung said having experience of life is the most important thing, while acting skills can be learnt and mastered.

For him, learning from books and leading film-makers are his the main source of guidance.

From the very first moment he entered film circles, Leung has been excited by, and has enjoyed the different films and different roles. "It has been no hardship for me as I am doing the thing I most prefer," he said.

And the fame and fortune which have come with his chosen career are secondary to the art of acting.

Talking about his leisure time activities, Leung said he enjoys reading books, including detective stories and often goes to the cinema.

He said the atmosphere in a cinema cannot be replaced and is the only real place to watch a film.

His favourite stars include Robert De Niro and Hong Kong's Chow Yen Fat whose movies have impacted him.

Oscar-winner De Niro once singled Leung out for praise a few years ago. De Niro was quoted by AFP as saying that he particularly admired Leung's role in Wong's film "In the Mood for Love," which won him the Best Actor award at Cannes in 2000.

It is reported that De Niro is the second Hollywood actor after Brad Pitt to have lauded Leung's acting.

On the future trend of the Hong Kong film industry, Leung said joint productions between the mainland and HK film-makers will be the main stream, as Hong Kong's market is limited.

Better still would be to join forces with all Asian film makers to expand the market.

This would also provide filmmakers with greater access to funds for shooting more high-quality films, he said.

When it comes to the media, Leung has maintained a fairly low profile.

He seldom gives interviews and revealed he does not feel at ease when in the public gaze, and would rather stay at home than go out partying.

"I enjoy a simple way of living," he said.

"I feel I have been very lucky from the first day of being an actor. I have had the chance to play roles I prefer." In the future Leung said he hopes for more opportunities to work with mainland directors.

Tony Leung was born in Hong Kong in 1962. He is not married but has been romantically linked to a famous actress in Hong Kong for a long time.

(Source: China Daily)
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: