TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

It must be a real trip, having as many fans as you do

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Communicate with Tony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fictioness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: It must be a real trip, having as many fans as you do

Mr. Leung,

I have a birthday coming up soon; a big and scary one. The kind of birthday that encourages the fetal position because you have no choice but to examine your life and the decisions that got you there.

I'm doing things I normally wouldn't do. Like writing to you on a message board of all things.

So, here I am.

Until I saw Happy Together, Martin Scorseses' Taxi Driver had been my favorite movie for many years.

I write and live in Venice Beach California and often play Happy Together in the background when writing. Just listening to it inspires me regardless of my not understanding the language.

Thank you for your grace and talent and for everytime one of your performances encouraged me to keep writing.

If you're ever in Los Angeles meet up with me for a drink in rusty and tattered Venice. sklaisner@yahoo.com
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: happy birthday

First of all,Happy birthday.I'll stop by L.A.for a few days in May,hope to see u there.

Take Care & All Best Wishes

tony
fictioness

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Fictioness on Saturday

Morning and I'm at my desk with coffee in hand and a cigarette burning in the ashtray at my elbow. We're not supposed to admit we smoke, in California at least, but it doesn't matter what I say right now. It's Saturday and I can ignore I have a Monday thru Friday day job.

My place is tiny. A studio overlooking the Venice boardwalk. A few years ago, it was my writing studio but eventually I moved in full-time. I probably isolate myself too much, turning down dinner invites, phone calls and afternoon cafes.

There's a calendar on the wall above my desk which reminds me of time and the upcoming birthday. I'm still surprised at my reaction to it. I guess I was always blessed in not seeing the restraints yet I can't help but think it's good to be aware and even reflective of ones days spent.

To my left, is the window minus a screen, and beyond that dozens of surfers bobbing in black on top of the water.

Once when standing on the pier, someone standing next to me said, "God is the ocean and we're the waves". I thought it an interesting idea but more than that, it made me wonder what the surfers were in this framework of thought. Years later, I still wonder of it when I watch them.

I'm hoping I'll write today. I have plans to write today. What I know for sure is that I'll start Murakami's Sputnik Sweetheart and and finish Oscar Scott Cards' Ender's Shadow.

I'll eat something from Mao's Kitchen, a chinese restaurant across the street and while picking up my order, I'll have to raise my voice in order for them to hear me and I'll wonder at the expance of cleavage afforded by the girls behind the counter.

I'll avoid the TV no matter what and wonder, regardless of my determination to believe it was you who actually responded, if it was really you or someone else. And in wondering, I'll have a secret bit of magic, tucked in my pocket all day long.

What's outside your window?

Always,
Fictioness
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Communicate with Tony All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: