TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

My Lucky Star

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looney Tune

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: My Lucky Star

Hi all! Here's my contribution to the new section! Very Happy

Title:My Lucky Star
Cast:Tony Leung, Miriam Yeung, Ronald Cheng
Year:2003, Year of the goat
Director:Vincent Kok

The film’s uplifting and auspicious elements are perfect as a Chinese New Year comedy. Released to welcome the year of the Goat in 2003, it was the first movie that pairs Tony Leung and Miriam Yeung together. Unusual pairing, but definitely refreshing.

Once upon a time in the Qing Dynasty, Yip Ku Shing (Miriam Yeung) is the new Imperial Exams Scholar. The emperor send two imperial guards Duen (Ronald Cheng) and Lai Ma Po (Tony Leung) to accompany the new scholar back to his hometown. Duen and Lai Ma Po are Imperial Geomancers whose mission is to make sure that the new scholar’s destiny will not overpower the Emperor. They traced the Yip’s family luck to the ancestral burial ground and sabotaged their good luck.

Back in modern days, Yip Ku Hung (Miriam Yeung) is the descendent of Yip Ku Shing. A happy bubbly girl with extremely bad luck. She seeks out a famous Feng Shui Master Lai Liu Po (Tony) to change her luck. As Lai Liu Po has a family policy of not seeing or associating with anybody with the surname “Yip”, Yip Ku Hung had to lie to see Lai Liu Po. In the course of helping Yip, the charismatic Lai fell in love with Yip. However, things were not plain sailing for them as Lai found out about Yip’s real identity, and also the reason behind Yip’s bad luck. The story follows on how Yip and Lai try to change their destiny, and to thwart the attempts of Crab Duen (Ronald Cheng) from sabotaging Yip’s life.

Comments:
A fun and uplifting film perfect for the Chinese New Year. Tony’s versatility as an actor is evident here as he plays the charismatic Lai Ma Po with the right balance of comedy and seriousness. Miriam Yeung is hilarious here as her usual self, and Ronald Cheng is also outstanding in his exaggerated portrayal of Duen.
news

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Haven't seen this movie yet, but is looking forward to watch it after reading your review. Normally, I try not to read review prior watching a movie/actor that I like because I don't to be spoiled while watching the film. However, subsequently reading your commentary it encourages me to rent this comedy flick to bring joys to my holidays! You write well Looney.

May I ask are you currently a student or working full-time? Just curious. Wink
Looney Tune

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Not so fortunate I'm afraid. Would love to remain a student, but I am working full-time. Sigh....
misty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject:

i was wondering how come your a muhe better writher then me ! your a groneup!anyway i have not even herd of this move but it sonds great!can you tell me where to get it ? and i whold just like to say your a good writher . Cool
Looney Tune

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Thank you misty Embarassed

Am I a grown-up? Hmm, let's say I have watched Donny & Marie Osmond's show (I must say I was still very very young then), I know who Sheena Easton is, and Rick Astley's songs were in the charts, and not just on Classics/evergreen.

As for the movie, I think My Lucky Star is hilarious, you've got to get it. You can try all those popular websites selling VCD and DVD. Sorry, I don't have one to recommend as I don't need to purchase asian movies through internet.
penguinbrat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject:

Hmmm... 80's new wave music, I am as grown up as you. I was in my teens during the late 80's as a part time disc jockey working under the top rated radio personality Patrick Yeoh. A few months later, at a temporary
moment of "insanity", I took flight to US to find my destiny. The rest is history.
Looney Tune

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject:

penguinbrat wrote:
Hmmm... 80's new wave music, I am as grown up as you. I was in my teens during the late 80's as a part time disc jockey working under the top rated radio personality Patrick Yeoh. A few months later, at a temporary
moment of "insanity", I took flight to US to find my destiny. The rest is history.

Did you mean Patrick Teoh? You were a Malaysian then? Taking a detour off the highway may seem insane, but who knows what surprises awaits you when you choose a different path. Good that you have found your destiny.
penguinbrat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject:

Oops! The "y" and "t" letters were next to each other on the keyboard.
Yes, I mean Patrick Teoh. BTW, is he still on the radio weekend morning show? He is a terrific guy and a voice to match.

Even though I have been residing in US since 1989 and became an American citizen 2 years ago, I still regard myself as Malaysian. I hope to visit Malaysia in a few years. I heard a lot has change (for the better) and I may not recognize KL. One thing for sure, it was so much easier to see a Chinese movie or purchase the latest Chinese cd when I was living in KL. Here, in New Jersey, I have to order everything online or drive to New York city.
Looney Tune

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if he is still doing radio shows, but I know he has been doing theatres, both comedy and the more serious ones. I think he is link to Instant Cafe Theatre, a popular local theatre group.

Do come back and pay us a visit. If you have not been back since 1989, you would not recognise KL, definitely. I think we have changed for the better. Maybe if you are earning US$, you can consider retiring in Malaysia. It is definitely cheaper than the US, and our standard of living is good. Ask the expats and you'll know, they don't want to leave. Very Happy
Voolls

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject:

great Smile Smile
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: