TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Days of Being Wild - screening @ Art Gallery of Ontario

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Days of Being Wild - screening @ Art Gallery of Ontario

Hello All, Very Happy

This is my first post Very Happy

This is such a great website - Thank you ! Very Happy

Days of Being Wild is screening at the Art Gallery of Ontario - at Jackman Hall - in Toronto.

The film is part of the Cinematheque Ontario program - one of the many film programs run by the Toronto International Film Festival Group.

There are 3 screenings - one yesterday (sold out) - one today (also sold out) and one next Tuesday (will likely sell out).

I have seen "Days" on the small screen, and am looking forward to seeing it on the big screen Very Happy

Infernal Affairs also got big screen play here late last year - at a rep theatre.

I've watched quite a bit of Tony's filmography, and his range is amazing.

I really appreciate him as an actor, and as a person - so much charisma on-screen, and so low-key and "un-starlike" off-screen - I just love that combination.

At the 2000 Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), Tony and Maggie were at the screening for "In the Mood For Love" at Roy Thomson Hall. I was in the first 10 rows, and I was like "Wow, they're actually standing up there in front of me Very Happy " LOL

I was really hoping that Tony and Wong Kar-Wai would come to TIFF with "2046", but alas, it was not meant to be.

I got the DVD for X'mas, and just loved the film. The scene where he parts with Gong Li, and the last shot of him alone in the cab, get to me every time. (Side note: Gong Li/Zhang Yimou collaborations - me like Very Happy )

I really hope that when Tony goes to the U.S. to promote "2046", he will also consider a trip up north to Toronto - please, please, pretty please !!!! Very Happy

Sorry for such a long-winded and winding post - I guess I just got too enthusiastic Very Happy

summertime Very Happy
summertime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject:

I was at last night's screening, and it was cool seeing the film on the big screen.

The translation was also much better.

As I was exiting the theatre, I heard a guy behind me say "That last guy was incredible". Very Happy

I was tempted to turn around, and say it was Tony, but didn't say anything in the end - oh well. Very Happy
news

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject:

Hi Summertime-

You arrived to the right place. Many of us here are his fans and some like yourself have seen him in person. Did you take any photo with Tony at TIFF or ask him for an autograph? My roommate said he looked like a schoolboy on that day--he was wearing red sweater with a white shirt inside. I'm glad WKW included ITFF interview with the DVD and, most importantly, it's in English so, the non-Chinese speaker like many of us here don't miss out. It was my first time hearing him speaks in English on DVD and I was rather impressed at his clear pronunciations.

"Days" was also screening in Boston, MA (US) for little more than a week last month, but due to work commitment I didn't have time to attend any of the screening. Sad I saw half of "Days" on DVD about a year ago but have never finished viewing it. I lost the patience because the flick was slow in the beginning.

What is your nationality by the way?
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Hi news Very Happy

Nice to "chat" with you Very Happy

Yes, this sure does seem like the right place for Tony fans Very Happy

"In The Mood For Love" was a "Gala" - the most high-profile category at TIFF. Every film at TIFF gets 2 public screenings, and 1 press screening.

I was at the first public Gala screening. First public Gala screenings are more formal. They are held in the evening at a concert hall, which is normally the home of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra. There are opening remarks, but no Q&A afterwards. The talent generally dress-up, walk the red carpet and do press.

However, Galas are audience-friendly. Back then, tickets were about 25 Canadian dollars, seating was on a first-come first-served basis, and you could dress as casually as you like.

Second public Gala screenings are more informal. They are held the next morning/afternoon. A lot of the time, only the director attends, and he/she will do an introduction, and may return afterwards for a Q&A. The talent tend to dress casually.

To make a long story short Very Happy - no, I didn't take any photos with Tony or get his autograph because I was the one racing to get and save the seats LOL ! I only saw him on stage, and he was wearing a suit (if I'm recalling correctly).

Unfortunately, there's a trade-off - either you stand outside and watch the talent come in, or you rush in to get the best seats ! Very Happy

So my mom and sisters got to watch Tony and Maggie outside - apparently they were signing autographs. The irony is, they prefer Andy Lau LOL !!! Oh well, such is life Very Happy

One day I hope to get a pic with Tony - we'll see Very Happy

Did your roommate go to TIFF from Boston ? Did your roommate get any photos with Tony or autographs ?

I have the Criterion Collection of "ITMFL" as well, and it has gotten quite a workout LOL

And yes, Tony speaks very good English Very Happy

The press conferences of TIFF are aired on public television 24/7 throughout the 10 day festival.

That's a bummer you had to miss "Days" due to work commitments Sad

For me, I find sometimes that I have to be in a certain mood to watch Wong Kar-Wai films.

I tend to watch Tony's films by "tone" - lately, I've been watching comedies ie. "Your Place Or Mine".

I'm a CBC - Canadian-born Chinese. My parents are from Hong Kong. They speak Cantonese. They also speak Mandarin, and can understand Shanghainese.

Me - I'm a little . . . shall we say . . . Chinese-challenged LOL Shocked

I understand way better then I speak.

Tony's English vs my Cantonese LOL !! NO CONTEST - Tony wins hands down. Very Happy

I do need subtitles - but the degree - depends on the film.

Let's see - in terms of the Cantonese parts of a film -

I'd say I can understand > 90% of "In The Mood For Love".

Perhaps > 80% of "Fighting For Love".

And say < 40% of Butterfly Sword.

I don't really understand "martial arts literature-type" language.

I understand contemporary conversation.

I can read and write a tiny bit of Chinese. I can't read a newspaper, but I can pick out some words.

My mom tried to teach me Chinese characters and calligraphy during summer vacations when I was little, and I also attended Chinese classes on Saturdays - but the concentration was more on regular school and piano. I also used to "play" er-hu - but it sounded more like I was "sawing" something LOL Very Happy

Oh dear - another long-winded post Shocked

summertime Very Happy
Zen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Hey summertime! Welcome to the forum. I am quite envious that you were able to attend a semi gala/film festival. I live in the States, and foreign films are not quite popular here as opposed to larger states such as California and New York. Have you any pictures?

Along with Maggie Cheung and Tony, was Wong Kar-wai and cinematographer Chris Doyle there as well? It would strike me that the two would attend to Tony's gala since they collaborated several times...

Anywho, I'm glad you had a good time!

--Thich Nhat Han
summertime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Hi Zen Very Happy Thanks !

No, I didn't take any pictures because I don't carry a camera during TIFF.

I normally take a week off, and see 25 to 30 films - sometimes I might see 4 to 5 films a day, and I'm just rushing from screening to screening.

Which part of the States are you from, if you don't mind my asking ?

No, Wong Kar-Wai and Chris Doyle didn't come. That would've been so cool if those other 2 had come as well. A Q&A with all 4 would have been a treat. I read that Wong Kar-Wai came to TIFF the year that Fallen Angels screened. I wasn't able to go that year.

Yeah, TIFF is a lot of fun - by the end, you're just exhausted, but a happy exhausted ! Very Happy

summertime Very Happy
JennyC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Hey summertime!!

Welcome to the forum! I'm also a fan from Toronto... but sadly, I've never went to TIFF... how is it like and when in the year is it usually held? It's always quite a blind when it comes to stuff like functions and etc.. lolzz..

-Jenny (Tarepanda)
summertime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject:

Hi JennyC Very Happy

Thanks for the welcome Very Happy

TIFF is normally held from the 1st Thursday after Labour Day, and lasts for 10 days.

It's really fun to do - you should try it ! Very Happy
summertime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject:

Hey JennyC,

Here's the link to TIFF - it's for last year's fest - the site will be updated for the current year fest, sometime in June/July - going by past experience:

http://www.e.bell.ca/filmfest/2004/festivalinformation/2005information.asp

summertime
JennyC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject:

Hi summertime,

Thanks for the info! I'll try to check it out this year if I could... and one more question (hope I'm not a bother), how much are the tickets usually??

-Jenny
summertime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject:

Hi Jenny Very Happy

It's not a bother at all Very Happy

If you go to the link, and then go to "Box Office Information" and then to "Advance Tickets" or "Single Tickets" - you'll get some idea of the cost.

Single tickets for regular screenings last year were around C$ 16.75, while single gala tickets at Roy Thomson Hall were C$ 28.50 - the 2nd gala screenings which do not take place at Roy Thomson Hall are the same price as regular screenings.

Passes or coupon books are roughly C$ 100 to C$ 350 - IIRC.

The general rule is, the more in advance you buy tickets, the more you end up spending buying a "block" of tickets - meaning passes or coupon books.

However, there is more chance of getting your choice of film if you buy in advance.

Single tickets are available, but they don't become available until a few days before the festival. By that time, there is less choice because the "advance buyers" have gotten first crack.

Here is a rough timeline:

mid-July: advance passes/coupon books on sale - be aware you are buying "passes/coupons" in advance - not actual "hard tickets" with a film title on them - the festival does not know at this point what the films will be)

mid-August: festival publishes gala film titles and schedule

shortly after: single gala tickets may be purchased - line-up early

late August: entire film line-up and schedule becomes available, as well as the "big book" of film descriptions

then: for coupon buyers, you have 3 days to make 1st and 2nd choices of films, because the coupons will be traded in for "hard tickets" - this is done by lottery - if you can't make the 3 day deadline, then your "trade-in" will done on a 1st come, 1st serve basis - after the inital lottery "trade-ins" are done

Labour Day: pick-up "hard tickets" if you did the lottery, and you can also make exchanges

Wednesday after Labour Day: single tickets on sale

Thursday after Labour Day: festival starts

Some, not all, passes/coupon books can be shared.

Be aware that sharing can have a logistical impact. If you want to make the 3 day deadline - it's harder for larger groups sharing because you're trying to co-ordinate all the 1st and 2nd choices within a short time frame.

Sorry for being so long-winded. It's hard to explain in writing.

But it's like a fun project when one gets into it Very Happy

If you have more specific questions, please feel free to ask ! Very Happy

summertime Very Happy
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: