TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

I'VE SEEN SEOUL RAIDERS! (SPOILER ALERT)

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mu99le

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: I'VE SEEN SEOUL RAIDERS! (SPOILER ALERT)

This time i can take pride of being able to see a Tony movie at the same time with fellow Tony fans in HK and China. It was quite a shock when i saw Seoul Raiders in the website of local theatre chain, because the day before it has just premiered in HK!! It thus breaks the record as the fastest HK movie to enter local cinema. Unfortunately, it also breaks the record as the one receiving the fewest screenings. In the entire town, only TWO cinemas screen the movie!! It's a far cry from the privileges enjoyed by Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Andy Lau movies, which are screened in cinemas throughout the city. I was initially rather enraged with this obvious discrinimation, but i considered myself lucky as one of the two cinemas was close to my home Wink.

So yesterday afternoon i went to the cinema...and immediately saw the reason why the movie received minimal screenings. Nobody had booked the seats when i bought the ticket...i was the first buyer, and afraid i would be the only one as well. It's a relief when i entered the theatre and saw several groups of people there, although they're not many enough to occupy half of the seats. Indeed, Chinese movies here are identified with Jackie Chan, Jet Li or Andy Lau, so don't be surprised if hardly anyone ever heard of Tony Leung or Shu Qi (true, Tony was once popular here through New Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre, but he has changed so much since then that people who watch Seoul Raiders probably don't recognise him anymore as the good ole Cheung Mo Gei!).

Anyway, the movie is really entertaining. Well, probably not for everyone. If u go to the theatre looking for intense crime story or thrilling action flick, then u are likely to be disappointed. More inferior to Tokyo Raiders in plot and story, Seoul Raiders mainly is a showcase of pretty well-known faces, kick-ass action sequences and comedic scenes. The plot drags with overlong, sometimes unnecessary fighting scenes and stretching chasing games. Tony doesn't even have to act here: he only needs to pull out the best of his suave charm (bring your kerplop cushion when u see this one, Sheila), do some impressive gongfu moves and make a few laughs. Nevertheless, Tony is Tony, and his adept comic timing and natural charm is one major attraction of the movie. Shu Qi was hilarious and she even managed to move viewers sympathy in one small scene, while Richie Ren was cool and slimy as the presupposed villain. Surprisingly, the Korean actress who snugged close to Tony in the movie's opening ceremony was quite impressive as the ambitious leader of the counterfeit organization.

There's one major irritant though that prevents me from fully enjoying the movie: it was cut abruptly by the censor board before it's ended!!! I never knew what happened to Tony and Richie when the plane they ride on went out of control, because the credits suddenly appeared and we're forced to leave the screening room with mumblings of confusion!! Never in my life I saw a movie cut before it ends...the discrimination you receive in this country when you're not considered as bankable stuff is incredible.

But all in all, Seoul Raiders is one good Lunar New Year entertainment. Forget about plots and good story: just enjoy the ride and have some good laughs. If anything, Tony fans can indulge in his suave charm and natural comedic talents Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Thanks mu99le for the review. I haven't watched it but couldn't resist taking a peep despite the spoiler warning.

You never knew how it ended then? Strange that they censored it isn't it?
mu99le

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject:

ya there's no reason why they should cut it...no sexual or brutal scenes. first i thought it's technical problem, but monke watched in different cinema and there it ended the same way. so it must be the censorship board. but i found out from pigfong that i was probably only a couple of minutes away from the actual ending, so that's not too bad. i definitely must buy the dvd!

anyway, i forgot to mention something important: SR may be inferior to TR in plot and story, but it's definitely more ENJOYABLE. It's lighthearted and funny, and there are more actions (although it's no Steven Seagal). so yeah, this is a must-see for Chinese new year! Very Happy

Last edited by mu99le on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Looney Tune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject:

I've seen it! Dragged my husband, sister and my 6 mth-old baby to the cinema. Utterly enjoyed it. I though it was a really good laugh. I don't think the emphasis is on the plot. The meat is all in the humour (especially Lam's), the stars, the style, and the pretty girls. Tony is really funny as Lam (hard to associate him with Chow Mo Wan), and Shu Qi was hilarious, especially with her slightly off Cantonese pronounciation. She was good in the scene where she disguised as a man.

I liked tha part the Korean Song (about the onsen) was playing while Tony and Richie were fighting. We laughed throughout.
mu99le

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Looney Tune wrote:
I don't think the emphasis is on the plot. The meat is all in the humour (especially Lam's), the stars, the style, and the pretty girls. Tony is really funny as Lam (hard to associate him with Chow Mo Wan), and Shu Qi was hilarious, especially with her slightly off Cantonese pronounciation. She was good in the scene where she disguised as a man.

exactly...the movie is made for pure entertainment Very Happy and yes tony is very funny, not to mention very stylish and handsome as well. i can't stop laughing (although in the middle the movie sags a bit). I like Shu Qi especially in the scene where she defended herself to Tony for asking bigger share...her voice actually trembled as if she was in the verge of crying, but when tony agreed to give her larger share, she recovered pretty quick. Laughing

Looney Tune wrote:
I liked tha part the Korean Song (about the onsen) was playing while Tony and Richie were fighting. We laughed throughout.

what's onsen? Question

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject:

onsen is hot spring in Japanese. Dunno what it is in Korean.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: