TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Tony Leung returns for Tokyo Raiders sequel

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Tony Leung returns for Tokyo Raiders sequel

Thursday February 3, 2005

Tony Leung returns for Tokyo Raiders sequel

By AEL CHEANG

http://www.star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2005/2/3/movies/10045605&sec=movies

FANS of Tony Leung Chiu Wai may well remember Tokyo Raiders, in which the actor played one of his coolest characters yet – Lam, a suave James Bond-like Japanese secret agent who never left home without a bevy of beauties.

Well, Lam is back, and this time, he is going to South Korea.

Tony Leung is the cool and dashing Japanese secret agent Lam and Shu Qi plays the foxy lady JJ in Seoul Raiders.
Seoul Raiders is the sequel to 2000’s Tokyo Raiders, and sees Leung reprising his role as Lam, who is up against US Embassy personnel Owen (Richie Jen) and foxy lady JJ (Shu Qi) in a hunt for a pair of counterfeit US notes plates in the capital of South Korea.

The Jingle Ma-directed film was shot on location in Seoul with full support from the local government and the mayor.

The crew even had permission to shoot on Seoul’s busiest streets and the Olympic Stadium, and even had some members of the city’s SWAT team appearing in one of the scenes.

“We worked with a Japanese crew for Tokyo Raiders, but this time it was with the Koreans,” he said in Cantonese during a phone interview from Hong Kong. “Otherwise, the story and style of both movies are almost the same.

“I like my character very much because he may act dumb at times, but he is actually quite bright. I had fun playing the role.”

However, according to Leung, the action this time around is slightly different.

“In the previous film, the action scenes were quite short. This time, they are much longer, so it was slightly harder to shoot,” said Leung, who sustained minor injuries during filming.

While Leung’s character squared off against Ekin’s character in Tokyo Raiders, in the new movie, he is up against Taiwanese singer-actor Jen’s crafty Owen.

“This is not the first time I have worked with Richie, we worked together on several films before,” he said. “Richie is a nice guy, and I’m very comfortable working with him.”

Taiwan actress Shu Qi takes over the lead female role from Hong Kong singer-actress Kelly Chen in Seoul Raiders.

“I’ve always thought that she (Shu Qi) is a talented actress. We’ve worked together a few times, and I’ve always admired her.”

The most memorable part of shooting Seoul Raiders was a scene in which he and Owen had to fight in a natural hot spring.

“The water was very hot, and it was very difficult fighting in the water. At the same time, the weather was very cold when we were filming that scene.

“When we were in the water, we would be very hot, but when we got out, it was very cold. On top of that, we were going in and out of the water all the time, so I think that was the most challenging take.”

After so many comedies, does he think that he is a good comedian?

“I may like acting in comedies very much, but I don’t think I’m a very good comedian,” he said. “I think Stephen Chow and Michael Hui are the best comedians.”

So, what kind of films will bring out the best in you?

“Usually, after I finish making heavy dramas, I prefer my next films to be more relaxing and easy. However, there is no particular genre that I prefer.

“I like making all kinds of movies. All these years, I’ve acted in so many types and I don’t limit myself to just one genre,” he said. “Sometimes I would make crazy and funny comedies, and other times, I’d make serious films like Infernal Affairs.”

For now, he is off to a well-earned holiday.

“I haven’t had a rest for a long time now. After finishing 2046, I had to do promotion work. Following that was Seoul Raiders. I need a break and time off to do other things,” said the award-winning actor.

He will be going to the United States to promote 2046 later this year, and will be taking lessons on Wing Chun martial arts in preparation for his role in Wong Kar Wai’s upcoming martial arts movie called Yat Doi Chong Si (loosely translated as The Master of a Generation). Filming is scheduled for end of the year.

“We are supposed to shoot the film at the end of this year, but I asked Wong Kar Wai to postpone it till summertime of 2006, because I don’t think it is suitable to film a martial arts movie during winter,” he said.

“I am giving myself about half a year to learn martial arts, because I want the character to look convincing.”

# Golden Screen Cinemas, the Malaysian movie distributor of Seoul Raiders, has lined up an array of promotional activities and contests in conjunction with the release of the movie. Go to the GSC website at www.gsc.com.my for more information, downloads and contests on the movie.

Seoul Raiders will be released on Feb 9 nationwide. There will be midnight shows and sneak previews in selected cinemas from this Saturday onwards.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: