TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

StudioLA's Wendy Chan interviews: Tony Leung ITMFL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
news

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: StudioLA's Wendy Chan interviews: Tony Leung ITMFL

StudioLA's Wendy Chan interviews
Tony Leung
Star of
In the Mood for Love
August 13, 2003

http://asianconnections.com/a/?article_id=145&page=1

AC Team's Wendy Chan was invited to interview the stars of "In the Mood for Love," at a round table discussion at the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. Tony Leung is the winner of the Best Actor award at the 2000 Cannes International Film Festival. This movie marks Tony's fifth collaboration with director Wong Kar-wai.

Q: Can you tell us how you prepared for this role. I know that [director] Wong Kar-wai doesn't seem to have a real script.

Leung: So, we don't prepare! (Laughter) We have nothing to prepare. Because at the very…beginning, the only thing I know is I'm doing a story about a love affair with Maggie and my character…I am called Chow. My occupation is a columnist for the newspaper, and that's all I know. And so, we can't prepare anything. That's the Wong Kar-wai way of making movies.

What I can do is I started to develop my character through the exterior first. We have to get used to the costume, and the hair cream, and I think that really helps, the body language and the movie. Because after you put on that tight suit, it somehow restricted your body movement. And the hair cream, [it] really fed me up! (Laughter) It's the same hair cream that they used in the '60s. It's really, really greasy. And it takes about 3 days to take that stuff off. I tried different kinds of washing detergents, even dishwashing detergent…can't remove that greasy stuff!

So actually, we developed everything on the set. We developed it through shootings; and the character changed a lot.

Because at first, the character seems to be a very decent guy, an ordinary working class [person] in the '60s…So, I try to imagine how my father or my relatives look like in the '60s. At that time, the economy is not doing very good, everybody is working very hard for their living. So, it's just an ordinary people…And in the middle of the movie, Kar-wai said "Why don't' you try to play a bad guy?" You just do it for revenge. Actually a revenge movie, because of the hatred of Maggie's husband, you are doing it for revenge. Although it sounds stupid, at least I have something to get hold of for the character. And it really helps for me to get around the character.

Q: When I see your movie, I didn't see your revenge.

Leung: Yes, yes. He cut all the obvious scenes. You know, this time I think he's trying to do something more simple by telling the story in a more simple way, more subtle than any of his previous ones. So why not? Revenge and you don't have to know about them. When you see his movie, I think he leaves a lot of space for the audience to imagine what's going on with this guy. What's his motivation of what he's trying [to do] with this woman.

Q: How many times have you seen the movie? Just once?

Leung: No, no I saw it twice in Canada, Toronto, and Hong Kong. And then I saw it once in New York. Five or six times.

Q: Do you like the role you play?

Leung: Yes, yes, very much.

Q: Is this your most romantic role?

Leung: Most difficult! (Laughter)

Q: Can you compare another movie that you did with director Wong Kar-wai, "Happy Together."

Leung: "Happy Together" seems to be much more simple, the character. And the character seems to be much more straight forward. It's very different. It's not as complicated as this one. So, we don't need to spend too much time to think about how to develop that character. Because Wong Kar-wai is used to shooting a lot…actually you can develop through shooting different scenes, although a lot of those scenes will be cut out. But you still have time to understand your character through shootings. At this time, it seems to be a little different, because the character seems to be a lot more complicated than the one in "Happy Together."

Q: Also can you compare, this is obviously very different, or I am assuming it's a different way of working from when you are in action films... Is working this way without a real script more fun? More exhausting? Or frustrating? Or better or worse in different ways?

Leung: For me, it's good to work without a script. I think for an experience, as an actor who's been working in this field for over 18 years, [otherwise] you might have something very stereotyped.

So if you prepare too much, you somehow restrict your performance in some ways. And working with no script is very suitable for me, I think. I really enjoy that kind of working, and you don't have much chance to work that way…And you can do it by instinct... there's no boundary, you can do whatever you want, because nothing is right, and nothing is wrong.

Q: I read that during the filming you went away to make another film and then came back to the character. I am wondering if that contributed something to the development of the character?

Leung: Yes. Besides [doing] a lot of projects before I made "In the Mood for Love," I didn't know "In the Mood for Love" would last that long. It's good to take a break when you encounter a lot of difficulties in the process of making that movie.

You cannot solve the problems when you are making that movie, so, after taking a break, I don't know, somehow I think like I'm glad to be back. And I'm ready. And seems like, yes, this is the way…I don't know, the first day when I went back to work with Kar-wai, I just felt like, "Wow, this is how it should be made, this is really serious." And I was very aggressive at that day, I don't know why. But Kar-wai said I looked really good that day and why? I said, "I don't know."

AC Team's Wendy Chan was invited to interview the stars of "In the Mood for Love," at a round table discussion at the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. Tony Leung is the winner of the Best Actor award at the 2000 Cannes International Film Festival. This movie marks Tony's fifth collaboration with director Wong Kar-wai.

Q: Do you think your footage [shot] after you came back, is better work?

Leung: I think so. Maybe after the break, that helped.

Q: How many films have you made with Wong Kar-wai?

Leung: Wong Kar-wai, this is the fifth one.

Q: The final scene, which was almost impromptu on the way it was shot…has a scene of you whispering in the hole. What did you whisper in the hole?

Leung: We didn't have any lines. And Kar-wai just let me do it by myself. I just told my little secret inside that hole ?a lot of my guilt for that woman, of which, Maggie didn't know, too. Because it's not only the secrets between us, it's the little secret of me. And I don't think I can carry that for the rest of my life, and yes, that's what I tell in the hole ?I cheated with a woman, which is quite stupid to do.

Q: Looking back 10 years, in "Hard Boiled" [a John Woo movie] you are supposed to be a…black-mailing, killer, evil guy, they shut down and rewrote the whole thing. Did "Hard Boiled" start shooting your stuff…was there a script?

Leung: "Hard Boiled?" Yes, we had a script, a very complete one. And you know [director] John Woo, he's always well-prepared. Yes, we did a lot of preparation.

Q: In general, in your more commercial Hong Kong movies, do you get to do the kind of preparation that you do…maybe preparation is the wrong word. In developing the character, when you get the script, what's locked down? Is that [when]…you go in there, shoot it, and [don't] have as much of the creative input into the character? As with director Wong Kar-wai, where you get this extra freedom.

Leung: Ah, no, we also have a lot of freedom in doing some other movies, like in the "Mack of Knife." Although we have a real script, we still improvised at the set. Sometimes, we changed something too; or the way of how this character looks or speaks.

AC Team: You make so many good Hong Kong movies, do you plan to make any American movies or get into Hollywood, like Chow Yun-Fat?

Leung: Actually I never planned to establish my career in the States. And I think it doesn't really matter where you make the movies, no matter it's the States or anywhere in the world. But the most important thing is the team, or the project, or the person who you are going to work with, I think that's the most important. I do have a lot of offers, but I haven't found an interesting role yet. I think the most important thing is the people, not which country, or where.

Q: Since you have been working in the film industry for over 18 years, do you have any [thoughts] that you will direct a film, instead of acting?

Leung: I plan to produce my movie next year. Because I think that as an actor, everything is far beyond my control. It's time for me to get control of something. If I do have a new idea coming up, or suddenly or one day I see something that I feel very interesting, why not just make it a movie in my own style? And of course, I will be the actor. (Laughter) I will try to work out the script with the script writer, and I'll decide the style of what kind of style I want to put in this movie, and I can arrange everything. So, I think it [will be] more fun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: wendy Chan interviews tony in intmfl

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
news.....you're a very busy gal' tonight!!!! I read these--pretty good!!

Guess what??? they were staying at this hotel 3minutes fr. me--I'm so close--I cld have bump into them . Too bad,then I Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing didn't know who they were--- Wink Idea
Maybe, they'll come again soon! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
mu99le

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: wendy Chan interviews tony in intmfl

Anonymous wrote:
news.....you're a very busy gal' tonight!!!! I read these--pretty good!!

yea i only left the board for 3 hours and when i came back there they are! Laughing thanks dear!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: wendy chan interviews Tony...

just a 'thought'--when they come here for the 2046--press junket & I see them--do you think?? I shld 'kidnap' Tony' for you 'gals"???
That'll be 'easy--just wait at the limo stand!!!

Hmmm... just a 'naughty' thought!!!! Wink Wink Wink
Besides. they're bound to stay at the same hotel--very central in these parts. Razz Razz Wink Laughing Laughing Cool Cool
Tony Grrl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: wendy chan interviews Tony...

Anonymous wrote:
just a 'thought'--when they come here for the 2046--press junket & I see them--do you think?? I shld 'kidnap' Tony' for you 'gals"???

Besides. they're bound to stay at the same hotel--very central in these parts. Razz Razz Wink Laughing Laughing Cool Cool

OK, I send you a good strong bag and some duct tape. There is a remote bothy not far from me that we could take him too.

TLCW Fan UK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: wendy chan interviews Tony...

Tony Grrl wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

OK, I send you a good strong bag and some duct tape. There is a remote bothy not far from me that we could take him too.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ha! ha!!!!
I was thinking this --as I came home fr. my walk yest..--thought of the 'Collector", remember that film???
And Misery ! poor Tony !!! naughty things came to mind!!! I thought exactly what you're saying...limos everywhere in my area--bec of this hotel--they all stay here, I take it for granted !!!
Well, when they do the PR--I'll investigate--bet they'll return here..I should do more' mooching' at this hotel. I usually have 'chats' with the sec. guards & staff having a break!!!
I do have a bottle of 'vintage' cognac--maybe I'll 'lure' him w/ that !!! Then I'll 'pounch'????!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: qwendy chan interviews tony

Laughing Crying or Very sad yes! i'll 'ponce' after a couple of 'cognacs--& put him in a knapsack--- post haste to Scotland??? !!! Wink Wink
melloncollie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject:

ohhh i can wear my lara croft catsuit...

i'll bring the choroloform!! Razz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: wendy Chan interviews Tony

melloncollie wrote:
ohhh i can wear my lara croft catsuit...

i'll bring the choroloform!! Razz
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink Wink Razz evil Yip!!! you can do that --and have you're 'wicked' way with him!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing He wouldn't know what HIT him!!!!! liverpool is close enough to Scotland,eh??? Shocked
Tony Grrl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Sounds good to me. Though I wouldn't go so far as to break his legs ala Misery. I would want him with all his bits intact.
Yeah, Melloncollie you bring your catsuit and I'll supply the massage cream Razz

TLCW Fan UK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: wendy chan interviews tony leung...

Tony Grrl wrote:
Sounds good to me. Though I wouldn't go so far as to break his legs ala Misery. I would want him with all his bits intact.
Yeah, Melloncollie you bring your catsuit and I'll supply the massage cream Razz

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Geez..Of course !!! I'd keep 'all' his bit's 'intact' otherwise--what's the point !!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Right???!!!

I hope---he's not reading this,with our 'plot'----promise! i'll 'send' him--post haste!!!
Wink Wink Wink You gals' better be nice to HIM..!!!! And give him lots of tofu..!!! & some Scottish beef ??? ..He'll need his strength *& lots of Guiness.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Question Question Exclamation Exclamation Shocked Very Happy
melloncollie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject:

ahh don't mention guinness
*cries*
that's irish anyway

but ahem if tony does read this *[uts on innocent face* me??? never!! *looks angelic*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject:

We could keep his strenght up with plenty of Haggis Neeps and Tatties...it's OK Melloncollie you can have Veggitarian Haggis. Though I do make a pretty mean Mushroom and Tofu chow mein Very Happy

TLCW Fan UK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: wendy chan interviews Tony leung...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Well,Tony's Gal'--looks like--- you have his menu all set up--that's good. mind you, I'm NOT too fond of haggis--wonder if he'll like that??? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad He's obviously a carnivore. Laughing

Laughing Laughing Shocked i'm not kidding--If they're in town & staying here--& I see him 'mooching' the area--i'll 'chat him up'!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing That'll be fun,no??? Wink Wink Wink Cool Cool
Tony Grrl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject:

Plenty of ally ways to drag him into around here, so don't despair. Just shove him in the back of the land rover and off we go!
Not too fond of Haggis myself but I think it does you no harm to try it at least once in your life. Veggie folks can be excluded from this of course.

Trouble is I suppose someone at some point would notice he had gone! Rolling Eyes

TLCW Fan UK
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: